weekly foggy4ever's 52 for 2017 Week 14 Evolve(d)

Dramatic lighting and pose.

Looks a bit like Arney :)

Cheers.

Super selfie Scott - mean and moody look, eyes look sharp. The shoehorn award awaits ... I'll hand it over from last week ha ha.

nice light across your face very sinister (makes mental note not to upset Foggy) i am not as brave as Carl to suggest a shoehorn
I'm as soft as Rottweiler, Elvis.
The eyes remind me of another Foggy, but I agree definitely a touch of Arny there....love it.
The Blackburn Bullet, he's the reason for my user name
Ahahaaa good one :D

A nice self portrait too, I love that sort of strong directional lighting (y)

Super dramatic lighting and you've nailed the focus on your eyes. A great selfie...but definitely a shoehorn ;)

Cracking selfie, nice and moody looking and good and sharp, great BG too.

Great selfie, dramatic lighting and super sharp!

Love the lighting Scott, very dramatic and sinister

:agree: ... dramatic and sinister. Super selfie.

nice shot. i like how you have just enough light to show individual bristles in your beard. :)

Arnie....I wish, thanks everyone. I would have preferred a thinner letterbox of light across the eyes but using just one light and being creative with masking tape didn't quite achieve it, maybe a revisit later and try with 2 lights. Also doing selfies is a right PITA as getting your position right is just as difficult as the lighting.

Last edited:
Cracking moody selfie, Scott, like everyone else I can see a touch of Arnie too.

So I assume, your'll be back?
:D

The new photo it very sharp and well composed. B&W works well, and I even like the white / grey sky.

Amazing Structure. .... Must say I much prefer the archive pic .... not just for its summeriness & colour but compo. I guess when living close to such a structure you'd experiment a lot.

Like them both Scott but maybe the second edges it for perspective with all those arches clearly displayed

The new photo it very sharp and well composed. B&W works well, and I even like the white / grey sky.

Amazing Structure. .... Must say I much prefer the archive pic .... not just for its summeriness & colour but compo. I guess when living close to such a structure you'd experiment a lot.

Great choice for the topic, that's some Structure, agree with d00d the aspect on the second one is excellent.

Like them both Scott but maybe the second edges it for perspective with all those arches clearly displayed

I really like blue sky in a photo and it so brings out the beauty of, is it a viaduct.?

I didn't want to copy the second image and wanted to try another view, plus the foreground is just brown and boring.

It's about a 12 mile round trip on the bike to shoot it.

More about it

Like them both, but I think the colour for me. The structure is clearer and the sky in the B&W is too bleak for my taste. Great place though; where is it?

Well done for getting out on your bike and getting the shot, I ended up indoors again!

I like the B&W on the viaduct but find the trees on the right a bit grey and uninteresting in the shot, maybe you could have changed the angle to have the viaduct more into the shot and less trees.

love the second one, but if I'm honest, as SteveSc says above, the grey trees just detract from the magnificent viaduct in my eye. I think this is only because there is so little detail in the sky. Its as if my eye completely ignores the sky, and then has to search through the trees to get the full effect of the bridge. the second one is amazing, the colours are magnificent.

Two great structure shots, like the B&W even the sky too, the colour one is a cracker :)

Great choice of structure - I prefer the viaduct reaching further into the image on the second, though.

Well done for getting out on your bike and getting the shot, I ended up indoors again!

I like the B&W on the viaduct but find the trees on the right a bit grey and uninteresting in the shot, maybe you could have changed the angle to have the viaduct more into the shot and less trees.

love the second one, but if I'm honest, as SteveSc says above, the grey trees just detract from the magnificent viaduct in my eye. I think this is only because there is so little detail in the sky. Its as if my eye completely ignores the sky, and then has to search through the trees to get the full effect of the bridge. the second one is amazing, the colours are magnificent.

I couldn't real change the angle much as the land slopes away and it was just a boring ploughed field which added nothing to the image. The second is from my 52 in 2013.

My arse has just about recovered from the ride.

Week 8 Routine

I love having a clean car and I've picked up quite a bit of gear along the way. So after a weekend routine clean I give you the Wolf.

Week 8 Routine by Scott, on Flickr

Week 8 Routine

I love having a clean car and I've picked up quite a bit of gear along the way. So after a weekend routine clean I give you the Wolf.

Week 8 Routine by Scott, on Flickr

Hell's teeth, that's a lot of gear. Bl**dy hate cleaning mine, my gear consists of some wet wipes :)

Would have benefited having you cleaning some part of the car.

Right, off to clean my car.....weellllll, maybe later :)

Cheers.

Very smart, highly polished as well.:) I did mine the other day sponge, bucket and hose pipe. Then it rained but the shine shone through. I think with all your stuff you did the inside as well.

Hey Foggy,

Whole - Dramatic, moody, menacing. Excellent shot there :)
I'm not sure I see Arnie, perhaps an early Roger Moore?

Structure - As you say, the sky is better in the colour shot, but I prefer the B&W, it gives it more of a architectural heritage feel.

Routine - Clean enough to capture reflections of your gear and the man hole cover!
It would be good to see if you could pull back the highlights in the sky as they do attract the eye a little.

I cannot drive a dirty car so cleaning is a matter of Routine for me too but not quite as intense an operation as yours going by the amount of kit. Composition is good with the equipment occupying one corner

You can pop round and do mine anytime, ;) it usually looks like a muck-spreader. You've emphasised the shine on your car very well.

Structure - I really like the B&W conversation not a lot you could do about the sky the inclusion of the metal section adds some more interest.

Routine - Yep that's similar to mine! Although mine only got a quick wash this week (but then it is the last one before it gets traded in :banana:) As @posiview says it may have been better if you had of been cleaning the car in the shot.

I do mine about once/year ... some routine eh! I like the look of that car, and I'm about due for a new one.

Good effort for such a shiny object.

nice depiction of routine. very shiny car. perhaps i would have repositioned my cleaning materials to block the manhole cover. the white on the door, whilst distracting, illustrates how shiny the car is. have you thought about removing the telegraph pole and maybe even the wires which cross the sky?

Hell's teeth, that's a lot of gear. Bl**dy hate cleaning mine, my gear consists of some wet wipes :)

Would have benefited having you cleaning some part of the car.

Right, off to clean my car.....weellllll, maybe later :)

Cheers.
Only had a small window with the weather so cleaning was more important than staging at the time.
Good Routine shot of the nice clean car, but the white on the door puts me off :)

Very smart, highly polished as well.:) I did mine the other day sponge, bucket and hose pipe. Then it rained but the shine shone through. I think with all your stuff you did the inside as well.

Hey Foggy,

Whole - Dramatic, moody, menacing. Excellent shot there :)
I'm not sure I see Arnie, perhaps an early Roger Moore?

Structure - As you say, the sky is better in the colour shot, but I prefer the B&W, it gives it more of a architectural heritage feel.

Routine - Clean enough to capture reflections of your gear and the man hole cover!
It would be good to see if you could pull back the highlights in the sky as they do attract the eye a little.

Like the idea for the theme. Like the composition too with all the gear included but agree with what David said about the reflection is a bit of distraction and Andy's comments about having the car being washed.

I cannot drive a dirty car so cleaning is a matter of Routine for me too but not quite as intense an operation as yours going by the amount of kit. Composition is good with the equipment occupying one corner
I ussually bring all my gear down but only use a fraction of it for a maintenance wash.
You can pop round and do mine anytime, ;) it usually looks like a muck-spreader. You've emphasised the shine on your car very well.

Structure - I really like the B&W conversation not a lot you could do about the sky the inclusion of the metal section adds some more interest.

Routine - Yep that's similar to mine! Although mine only got a quick wash this week (but then it is the last one before it gets traded in :banana:) As @posiview says it may have been better if you had of been cleaning the car in the shot.

I do mine about once/year ... some routine eh! I like the look of that car, and I'm about due for a new one.

Good effort for such a shiny object.

structure - wow. one of my faves for this evening's feedback sesh
routine - i'm so lazy, my car's a mess :(

nice depiction of routine. very shiny car. perhaps i would have repositioned my cleaning materials to block the manhole cover. the white on the door, whilst distracting, illustrates how shiny the car is. have you thought about removing the telegraph pole and maybe even the wires which cross the sky?

Thanks all, it was just a quick shot with the good old X10 to show what I do and I didn't want it to look too staged. A full detail takes around 8 hours or more and gets done twice a year. Normally i'd get the CPL out to enhance the shine and reflections like the following.

Half polished by Scott, on Flickr

Just picked up a Sigma 105mm Macro so a routine test shot from any new equipment is a cat.
Testing Sigma 105 01 by Scott, on Flickr
Testing Sigma 105 02 by Scott, on Flickr

Last edited:
Catch up time yet again so on to the comments!

Mineral - brilliant shot. Love the colours, reflections, detail / sharpness, lighting and the white BG works really well, too. Centrally placed subject suits the shot too.
Whole - I always find self-portraits difficult and my last effort was no exception so I know how hard this would have been. The sharpness is exceptional and very good use of light to draw focus to the eyes.
Structure - Definitely the second, archive shot. The colours and compo are spot on.
Routine - I like the idea behind the shot and no arguing it's a clean car (puts mine to shame as my company car essentially only gets washed when it's service time :D). Perhaps a half dirty, half clean car would have worked? Or a dusting of snow-foam? Perhaps even swirls of freshly applied wax? So many options! ps cat is super sharp so you must be happy with that purchase.

Cheers

Ian

As I don't drive the washing of the car is not a routine I would associate with but I am aware people are obsessed with it

The cats eye pic I do like, would crop his/her other eye out

Whole, great selfie, title made me chuckle,
Structure, really like the B&W shot,
Routine, Great idea, but I hate washing the car, for me it would be less routine and more miracle! Like the photo and bang on theme.

That's one shiny car...and so much gear as well. Ours is lucky if it gets the occasional go over with a sponge and bucket...usually "aided" by the kids at the same time. As has been mentioned I do find the reflection on the door a bit distracting but it does show of the shine.

I had a play with someones sigma 105 a little while ago and it was a cracking lens, love a bit of macro so look forward to some in future.

Week 9 Numbers

The Moon, here are some numbers about it..
  • Radius: 1,079 mi
  • Orbital distance: 238,855 mi
  • Orbital period: 27.32 days
  • Gravity: 1.62 m/s² (5.31 feet/s²)
  • Circumference: 6,784 mi

Moon by Scott, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back