Football has as an inherent problem...

Name
Darryl
Edit My Images
No
Apols, I'm being deliberately disingenuous, the problem is mine, and I'd like to pick your brains.

I'm a rugby tog by trade and one thing that remains true with rugby photography, the person scoring has the ball in their hand.

I recently covered a charity football match, from memory it's only the second football match I've covered. Whilst sitting by the corner flag snapping away, one of the substituted players walked passed and casually commented "did you get get my goal?" Yes I said, without hesitation, now looking at the photos, I see I have his splendid striking pose, ball leaving foot, a [Nikon] D3 CH split second later, the ball has left his foot and is in the net, I have the player following through.

So the question is this, how do you capture ball scorer and net?

I have a second body with a 70-200 but I feel, much the same as rugby in this respect - there isn't time to switch for the wider shot.

Any advice? Main lens for rugby is 200-400 - forgot to mention.

Unless you've got a remote out, or are shooting so wide that the players are lost in the frame, the answer is - you don't.

Oh and learn to switch between cameras faster - anticipate the action.

Rugby photographers have it so easy haha

I've only ever seen one decent remote shot with rugby and (with no disrespect to the photographer) it was complete luck. A diving try under the posts at HQ.

It was either @Tobers or @Seba but I can't remember which!

Just did a test in the back garden - this has legs, I'm not sure why I hadn't thought of it before, I mean we used remote cameras at the European Athletic Championships in Birmingham!

90% of the time you have the shot/header and the celebration......let the viewer/reader fill in the gap.

I've only ever seen one decent remote shot with rugby and (with no disrespect to the photographer) it was complete luck. A diving try under the posts at HQ.

Tobers I recall. Ashton swan-dive wasn't. Cracking shot.

I have been using a remote at the rugby just to the side of the flag and it's been useful at time. This sequence caught a try that I was actually blocked for by a defender (out of shot)

View: https://BANNED/SebaJFDaly/status/1117133878232342529

Complete luck!!! I'll have you know that it was completely planned. I had a hunch that Chris Ashton would score, beneath the posts because it was against Italy so a high number of tries was inevitable, and he did like a swan dive, so set up a remote accordingly. And so it did happen. I actually wrote up the story here: http://tobinators.com/blog/2011/02/rugby-union/england-59-13-italy/

Amusingly, the following week there were suddenly 6 remotes behind the posts, which I also did a write up about here: http://tobinators.com/blog/2011/03/rugby-union/england-22-16-scotland/

Anyhow that Ashton shot got me runner up in the International Rugby Photographer of the Year award. Just pipped to the wining trophy. I also got Ashton to sign a few prints of that shot, and I gave him one as well which he was very happy about.

I0000IzCMyKkxjRk1.jpg

Last edited:
So, excuse my complete lack of knowledge, this remote camera thingy?
i assume you leave a perfectly good body, alone, on its own in the firing line ? and then how to do you remotely fire the shutter?

is it somehow connected to your main body or is it something you have to do manually via a remote shutter release?

So, excuse my complete lack of knowledge, this remote camera thingy?
i assume you leave a perfectly good body, alone, on its own in the firing line ? and then how to do you remotely fire the shutter?

is it somehow connected to your main body or is it something you have to do manually via a remote shutter release?

You use radio triggers called Pocket Wizards (other brands are available). One on the remote camera, and one triggered either by a camera in your hand, or a foot switch or suchlike. Some more info here: http://tobinators.com/blog/2012/05/techniques/wembley-olympus-em-5-remote-test/

Back