Football, not as sharp as i'd like, help please

Edit My Images
Yes
My guess its the F2.8 that's probably the issue, the focus looks to be spot on with the Goalkeeper, but the player closest to camera, his head is marginally OOF, that could be movement, but more than likely DOF hence try going to F5.6 of F8

looks like a full set to me.
Some missed focus, some camera shake and some insufficient of depth of field.

The pitch should look sharp somewhere and it does not.

The keeper looks in focus to me, but I'm assuming you wanted the player closest to the camera to be the focal point? How many AF points were you using when you shot this? Did you have all of them active, just a zone of points or a single AF point?

My guess its the F2.8 that's probably the issue, the focus looks to be spot on with the Goalkeeper, but the player closest to camera, his head is marginally OOF, that could be movement, but more than likely DOF hence try going to F5.6 of F8

cheers, was trying to keep ISO down, hence the F2.8 am i likely to still see movement at 1/1000 ?? tbh not entirely sure where i need to be with shutter to stop this kind of thing ?

looks like a full set to me.
Some missed focus, some camera shake and some insufficient of depth of field.

The pitch should look sharp somewhere and it does not.

LOL, that's blown my plan,,,,, very likely you could be right, not sure if it matters but this would have been the middle to last of a 4-5 burst.

The keeper looks in focus to me, but I'm assuming you wanted the player closest to the camera to be the focal point? How many AF points were you using when you shot this? Did you have all of them active, just a zone of points or a single AF point?

No, was aiming for the keeper, not entirely sure on focus but it would have been the single point or maybe group, these are about the only two i switch between.

Surely the problem is just that foreground player in the wrong spot.
Imagine if he wasn't even there, it would be a great photo of the goalie and you wouldn't even have a problem...

Imagine if he wasn't even there, it would be a great photo of the goalie and you wouldn't even have a problem...

maybe yes, im more asking about the keeper/keepers face ect, i feel its soft, this could be asking/wanting to much, it could be normal and i shouldn't be worried or maybe its something I've done that i can improve on.

im guessing the other players are purely DOF and i would expect that at 2.8

Have you set up back button focus? I find it useful for sport and programmed it into one of the custom menus.

Have you set up back button focus? I find it useful for sport and programmed it into one of the custom menus.
Yes use it all the time, so much better

The keeper is sharp, you have slight movement on the guy next to him and OOF the third guy.
To be honest i Was aiming for the keeper, just thought it looked a little soft, maybe I’m just expecting to much.

F8?? Jumping from 2.8 to 8? For sports? When the ISO is already 5000? If you're going to give advice, at least know what you're talking about.

...and the lack of a ball. It would be good if the ball was in the picture.

f2.8 is great for sport as it isolates players. I think the spectator is distracting as well. Where were you standing? at the side of the goal?

...and the lack of a ball. It would be good if the ball was in the picture.

f2.8 is great for sport as it isolates players. I think the spectator is distracting as well. Where were you standing? at the side of the goal?

hi, yes ball was just top right corner but lost it when i straightened the pic, toyed with leaving it in and having a slanted pic, but the bars and players just looked off, so had to lose the ball :( probably could of done a bit of PS and added it back in, but i wasn't overly impressed with the shot, so didn't feel the need.

yes was around the edge of the 6yrd box, well slightly further across, towards the 18yrd line.

Back