Football with Sigma 120-300mm Sport

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I got a SH Sigma 120-300mmf2.8 Sport last Friday and did my first football match yesterday with it and it performed flawlessly with only a very few OOF shots and that was my fault. I cannot believe how sharp it is. Very happy I got this lens now

SUFC v Farncombe (9)
by Send United, on Flickr

Even the other end the pitch is covered with a bit of a crop

SUFC v Farncombe (15)

SUFC v Farncombe (26)

SUFC v Farncombe (57)

Tricky shots through the net are also no problem

SUFC v Farncombe (63)

Close action also covered.

SUFC v Farncombe (75)

All taken using my Canon 1DMKiv, I tried the 7D for 4 shots but it seemed too long as this is an under 11s size pitch

Cool reportage on a game!

What really pleases me, Martin, is
the regularity in these renditions!

Well your post is about the quality of the lens... To be honest I can make any lens look good at 1000 pixels wide... whats the first one look like original straight out of the box no pp 100% size ?

I am not suggesting this isnt a good lens.. I ahve heard enough to assume it is.. But pics this size dont mean anything to be fair :)

Well your post is about the quality of the lens... To be honest I can make any lens look good at 1000 pixels wide... whats the first one look like original straight out of the box no pp 100% size ?

I am not suggesting this isnt a good lens.. I ahve heard enough to assume it is.. But pics this size dont mean anything to be fair :)

Thanks for the interest, my post was about quality of the lens and also any input on photos. I have tried to get flickr to take a straight conversion see below.

As I shoot for my sons team and try to get 5 plus photos of each player out of fairness it is a bit trigger happy and I try to make them look good, I also upload 80-100 photos each match so re-sizing helps. The first photo really does not show the true quality of the lens and I have tried to find a way of sending you a raw file but without luck. Here is a lightroom straight conversion of the RAW file untouched no crop no nothing. I didn't see the need to sharpen many of the photos as most of the match as they were spot on.

Test (1 of 1)

I am happy to email Raw files if you want but I assure you this lens is as sharp as a sharp thing without a TC and not bad with one.

Some nice shots there Martin, love the first image, but why do the boys shut their eyes when going for a header ;)

Back