Forced regeneration DPF

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone paid to have a forced regeneration of their DPF and if so have you any idea how much it costs. I'll be calling a few garages from Monday morning after driving miles and miles at high revs with redex in it with no success.

. If its not clearing it’s probably full of ash not soot and needs cleaning out. I had to have mine done last year because the car went into limp mode, cost was £350 and it’s been fine since as long as I don’t just do short journeys.

I had problems with mine on a Citroen Berlingo.
Emergency repair when visiting the inlaws between Christmas and New Years Eve at a Citroen dealer cost me £400 and lasted a few hundred miles. A cleanout cost me £250 just into the New Year, and a proper job at my trusted local garage that has now lasted me several years cost about £450 with a couple of other little jobs included (bulbs etc)
Lesson learned for me..

EDIT - By proper job I mean that I had the filter replaced rather than cleaned. And the garage is one that belongs to a scheme where they use recommended/genuine parts.

Last edited:
Is it VW/Audi/SEAT/Skoda? There is a VW DPF app on Android store that tells you your ash level, using generic OBD2 dungle. I've been told if this is very high, it wouldn't regeneration and you'll need a new filter.

I've been tracking my Skoda DPF with this app, it steadily climbs as miles increase. My car at 90k miles is at 32%.

Has anyone paid to have a forced regeneration of their DPF and if so have you any idea how much it costs. I'll be calling a few garages from Monday morning after driving miles and miles at high revs with redex in it with no success.

What car is it?

What car is it?
Cheers guys. I forgot I'd asked this. It is an Astra i have. 1.7 diesel. I took it to a garage who have said that it's showing one of two faults. It's either a pump leaking fluid or something drawing in air and either way these are stopping the filter from clearing itself. They'll know for sure tomorrow. I'll keep you informed. Hopefully nothing crazy expensive although i got the obligatory it's not a five minute job speech. Haha

Cheers guys. I forgot I'd asked this. It is an Astra i have. 1.7 diesel. I took it to a garage who have said that it's showing one of two faults. It's either a pump leaking fluid or something drawing in air and either way these are stopping the filter from clearing itself. They'll know for sure tomorrow. I'll keep you informed. Hopefully nothing crazy expensive although i got the obligatory it's not a five minute job speech. Haha

I'm not sure about an Astra but I suspect most DPF systems will operate in a similar manner and you should just drive normally on the motorway for the car to do an active regen. A common misconception is to boot it at high revs, but this is bad because you want reduce turbo boost so that the hot exhaust gases are not transmitted back to the turbo. The car will adjust the fueling automatically (among other things) in order to increase the temperatures to the necessary values so all you need to do is let the car do its thing. But, if there is a fault with your car then depending on what the fault is then it may not do an active regen.

Also, my car needs over 1/4 of a tank of fuel and I must be travelling over 45mph.

The one thing they really needed to do with all cars that have a DPF is some sort of warning that a regen is in process, because if you turn the car off before it has completed the regen you end up diluting the engine oil with fuel and robbing valuable lubrication properties. There's tell-tale signs such as the engine note changes, fuel economy plummets etc but not always obvious.

Try looking up icarsoft devices, they can sometimes have an option to show you the soot levels and also allow you to start your own active regen. Very handy.

Is it VW/Audi/SEAT/Skoda? There is a VW DPF app on Android store that tells you your ash level, using generic OBD2 dungle. I've been told if this is very high, it wouldn't regeneration and you'll need a new filter.

I've been tracking my Skoda DPF with this app, it steadily climbs as miles increase. My car at 90k miles is at 32%.

Can you please send a screenshot of where you can see this info? Please

Can you please send a screenshot of where you can see this info? Please
Apologies. I remembered it wrong. It’s called VAG DPF. My car has 30 odd grams of ash, not percent! That is 43% used up according to the app.

It’s second row, middle column.
F63E4166-F327-43C4-B65D-E39D34446DCE.jpeg

There's a free version of the app you can use to test your dungle first, allows you to see whether it's regenerating.

Last edited:
Isn’t there something slightly ironic that a device fitted to reduce pollutants requires you to drive, burning fossil fuels, to clean itself out.

I'm not sure about an Astra but I suspect most DPF systems will operate in a similar manner and you should just drive normally on the motorway for the car to do an active regen. A common misconception is to boot it at high revs, but this is bad because you want reduce turbo boost so that the hot exhaust gases are not transmitted back to the turbo. The car will adjust the fueling automatically (among other things) in order to increase the temperatures to the necessary values so all you need to do is let the car do its thing. But, if there is a fault with your car then depending on what the fault is then it may not do an active regen.

Also, my car needs over 1/4 of a tank of fuel and I must be travelling over 45mph.

The one thing they really needed to do with all cars that have a DPF is some sort of warning that a regen is in process, because if you turn the car off before it has completed the regen you end up diluting the engine oil with fuel and robbing valuable lubrication properties. There's tell-tale signs such as the engine note changes, fuel economy plummets etc but not always obvious.

Try looking up icarsoft devices, they can sometimes have an option to show you the soot levels and also allow you to start your own active regen. Very handy.
I can tell in mine when it starts. On a disel revs go exacly to 1000 on idle and if you have eco gear change enable it will e asking you to shift down a gear you normaly use. When it finishes it drops to 700revs. It also regenerates if you are stational but much slower.

Back