Forest Walk on the snow

Edit My Images
Yes
I rarely get out with the camera but this morning i managed to get away for a solitary walk through a local forest park which due to the heavy snow was closed to traffic. I got a few shots, but here are two of the same bridge for comment. I couldn't get any closer due to the greasy rocks and snow.
Taken with Canon M5 Tamron 17-50mm (non-vc) with Circular Polarizer. There may be issues caused by water marks as the snow was coming in from all directions and i could't keep it off the lens.

20181109Web 800 250.jpg

20181098-HDRWeb 800 250.jpg

The CP shows very little effect due to the overcast sky.
You need to use the histogram as well to protect the
whites and produce even tonal values in the renditions.

The CP shows very little effect due to the overcast sky.
You need to use the histogram as well to protect the
whites and produce even tonal values in the renditions.

Actually, the CP will cut out the reflections in the water as you can clearly see in the second shot (and not the first)

Actually, the CP will cut out the reflections in the water as you can clearly see in the second shot (and not the first)

I know the CP very well and its spectacular work in directional light
but, in these scene, it's all in diffused light… so limited effect. :cool:

Keety well spotted. The portrait version was shot first and more time was taken to compose it including rotating the cp to remove most of the reflections to let the natural reds and oranges of the stones and the green algae show through.
When turning the camera for the second (landscape) shot i forgot to reset the cp. So it was on but of no use.

The cp worked very well here and in another few river shots to remove reflections.

Kodiak i checked the histogram during pp in lightroom to make sure i didn't clip highlights. As it was in a forrest and overcast there were very few midtones. Mostly one extreme or the other.

I know the CP very well and its spectacular work in directional light
but, in these scene, it's all in diffused light… so limited effect. :cool:

You’re actually wrong. Polarisers work on a multitude of light sources. The reflections and glare from the water are one such source (reflected diffuses light from the sun), you can clearly see the difference in the two images, so you saying there is a limited effect is wrong, when anyone can plainly see one shot has glare and reflections and the other doesn’t (you can see the stones beneath the water)

I meant prior to SR as in PP is too late.
I bracketed 3 exposures and adjusted the whites in Lightroom to make they weren't blown. I checked the histogram while taking the image and set the base shot for an average of the scene. I took 2 other exposures so that when i lifted shadows or lowered the whites that i wouldn't end up with lots of noise or areas with no detail.

I bracketed 3 exposures and adjusted…

Right, ok… then I don't understand the results. :(

Would there be a chance to have a peak at the RAW files?
There might be perhaps something to learn here! :cool:

Right, ok… then I don't understand the results. :(

Would there be a chance to have a peak at the RAW files?
There might be perhaps something to learn here! :cool:
I fear that uploading 3 large raw files would be beyond my capabilities. I revisited the image in Lightroom and found that there were some (but very few) highlights clipped in a small area immediately beneath the central bridge peer. Bringing the whites/ highlights down to fix this didn't make any noticeable difference to the remaining image so I reduced the overall exposure and the highlights/ whites slightly until some more detail started to appear in the snow. I found it hard to know how much to drop the exposure as I was conscious that I may end up with grey snow. I always thought of over exposure as highlights being clipped, but I guess it's all about the detail.

Here is the re-edited version, I would appreciate any comments as to whether you think it is still too over exposed. I don't want to raise the shadows any further as this is how I remember the scene and I don't want it looking over processed.

ac4c6560915a4785b5998af1a3ed2fcd.jpg

Last edited:
Back