Forgot how to do this...

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
So, seems like ages since i had the lights out... Felt completely alien to me and i seem to have forgot everything i had learned. :LOL:

Just winged it really with 2 speedlights, one through an umbrella and the other through a Lastolite Speedlight softbox for hair/fill.

Set up a little mock room and went with that. Lola who is 11 months old is like lightening and no sooner had her mum plonked her down she was heading straight for me to grab the camera. :D Good job i love her!

Gone for some different PP with a customised Portra 400 profile so let me know what you think and how i could improve.

Fanks!

Her Name Was Lola
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Lola

Lola

Lola

Lola

Lola

Christ help us when you remember!!

Is this a backdrop or your lounge?

Really like the last two, particularly the expression in the last.

Like the first but really picky here - undecided about the bunting - I think it adds to the shot, but not sure about positioning in the frame of it?!

New camera, first time out with the lights for a while - all looks pretty good!!

S

Beautiful photographs. Just goes to show you don't always 'need' sophisticated (and expensive) lighting & modifiers. Love the PP.

Nice set of images David, with good lighting. Must admit I prefer the shots without the bunting in them.(y)

George.

These are lovely shots,i love the skin tones.:):clap:

Cheers everyone!

Yep, hate the bunting. It was the missus's idea and at the time i never even gave it a thought. In Lr however, it has been a right royal PITA. In hindsight if she was set on it we should have done it straight.

This was a quick mock up so i went and bought some lino (28 effing quid!!!) some material for the background (10 effing quid!!!) and a length of skirting board (7 effing quid!!!) i could do with finding some wider material really and a 50mm lens.

These look great Dave. Very envious of your talent.Does the second light add a lot to these ? Only asking as I have never done this type of thing before.

Gaz

Lovely shots David, especially considering the challenges presented by rapidly crawling little ones. Good eye contact in some of them too which is a bonus. So...what did you actually forget??!!

These look great Dave. Very envious of your talent.Does the second light add a lot to these ? Only asking as I have never done this type of thing before.

Gaz
Cheers Gaz. It just added a little fill to the right hand side. It was nothing major. Not sure it made a big difference over all but it made me look as if i knew what i was doing. :LOL:

Lovely shots David, especially considering the challenges presented by rapidly crawling little ones. Good eye contact in some of them too which is a bonus. So...what did you actually forget??!!

Ha, cheers.

It all felt a bit strange tbh. All the stuff i have done before has just been head shots up against a plain wall. This was completely different. Positioning and lighting was a little off i think. The PP has saved these quite a bit i think. I was aiming for some PP to compliment the theme and surroundings. Hopefully it has done.

Thanks again.

Kind of looked at these several times on my phone over the weekend, thought I had replied! But alas, not.

Look great! Love the colours and processing. I think no.5 is my pick even if she's looking away from the camera, just prefer it slightly over the first.

Funny, we were lying in bed last night looking at all the paraphernalia needed to do some baby shots when ours arrives. Need to build a couple of 'sets' too, just haven't gotten around to it yet, but time is ticking....

Last edited:
Cheers everyone!

Yep, hate the bunting. It was the missus's idea and at the time i never even gave it a thought. In Lr however, it has been a right royal PITA. In hindsight if she was set on it we should have done it straight.

This was a quick mock up so i went and bought some lino (28 effing quid!!!) some material for the background (10 effing quid!!!) and a length of skirting board (7 effing quid!!!) i could do with finding some wider material really and a 50mm lens.

The 50 f1.8g is a cracker and very light. I'm tempted by the sigma 50 but would love the 58 f1.4 nikon. Lottery win anybody?

Kind of looked at these several times on my phone over the weekend, thought I had replied! But alas, not.

Look great! Love the colours and processing. I think no.5 is my pick even if she's looking away from the camera, just prefer it slightly over the first.

Funny, we were lying in bed last night looking at all the paraphernalia needed to do some baby shots when ours arrives. Need to build a couple of 'sets' too, just haven't gotten around to it yet, but time is ticking....

Quite a simple thing to do mate tbh. Wish i had took a BTS shot to demonstrate.

Shaheed, i've remedied my problem by buying the Nikon 24-70 f2.8. :D

Quite a simple thing to do mate tbh. Wish i had took a BTS shot to demonstrate.

Shaheed, i've remedied my problem by buying the Nikon 24-70 f2.8. :D

Nice!! I do recommend a lightweight 50 f1.8g as a good option.

Aren't they bringing out a new 24-70 soon?

A vr one yeah. Should've been 24-70 f2 vr though ;). Great shots David, I need to buy a few bits to do this for my kids really but new cameras and lenses keep getting in the way :D

Back