Formby point and birds

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
So it's been a while since I took a walk around formby point nature reserve. Does anyone know if they have many wild birds, finches, tits and the like?
I recently watched a video by practical photography on how to shoot such birds and I wouldn't mind having a go.

View: https://youtu.be/LQDv8COxM6Y

There are lots in the woods, but you'll need to be patient. Probably need a hide and chair. Might be best to spend some time baiting an area - but don't let anyone in the bird forum know you are doing that:bat::bat::bat:
There's a pond in there that is home to wildfowl, but the commissars in Bootle would rather spend millions on the white elephant of the New Strand Shopping Centre than a few hundred maintaining the environment, so there's no guarantee there will even be water in it. It can flood after heavy rain, but we've not had much of that lately.

If you've got a long lens then you are probably better off going out onto the sand. Lots of stuff out there - knot, sanderling, gulls galore and whatever visitors winter brings in.
Why not go somewhere there is more chance of seeing something? Martin Mere or Meresands? (watch the car park gestapo at Meresands).

There's a big feeder table at Meresands that attracts all sorts of tits, robins, nuthatch, bullfinches. There are tree creepers round there as well, but they are hard to spot. From the hides you can see blackcaps, willow tits and I have seen LTTs nesting inside one of the hides. Bitterns pass through, but you need to be lucky to see one of those. Even kingfishers, and they have a post handily placed.

Martin Mere is at it's best right now. The mere is full of all the winter wildfowl that has flown in. Pink footed geese by the thousand. Bewick and hooper swans. ducks and other geese too many to count. Practice you BIF technique; go at feeding time and you won't know where to point your camera. Then there's the captive section. Those birds are used to humanoids so you can get nice and close. Faptors of course follow, if that's your fancy. Tree sparrows too. They are rare so keep a good look out.

Thank you. Great info there. As for lenses I don't have anything long or fast. 250mm is longest so at present smaller birds that come pretty close is possibly best.

Small birds don't come close!!!
You'll need a hide of some sort. With your lens restrictions you might be better going where there are fixed hides. There's a place St Helens way whose name I cannot remember where there are hides with small bird feeders about 3 feet away. That would work. (Wish I could rememer it's name - maybe Pennington Flash.) Google is your friend.
Or come to our front garden if you want goldfinch, chaffinch, LTT, siskin, blue and great tits. All come to our feeders.

Maybe set up a feeder in your garden. Get an old log. Hollow out the top and keep it full of feed. The birds will come.

Back