Formula-E

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I got bored of the b*****ks of Formula 1 about 5 years ago and haven't watched since. This Formula E has piqued my interest.

Some very interesting ideas they have implemented and the season 2 cars are very unique. Watched a couple of the first season races and there were some decent, close, races.

Nice to see the big manufacturers have full teams too. BMW, Audi, Jaguar, Nissan. You can tell it's aimed at the PlayStation generation and not the dinosaurs that still watch F1 :p

Things like Fan boost (fans can vote to give a driver a power boost) and Attack Mode (just like in a video game, drive over the boost area and you get a limited boost in power)

They are still far too slow though. If you got bored with F1, and you want to see exciting single seater races, why not try IndyCar?

"Things like Fan boost (fans can vote to give a driver a power boost) and Attack Mode (just like in a video game, drive over the boost area and you get a limited boost in power)"

Sounds as bad or worse than F1 with these artificial boosters.

For close racing, have a look at the Australian Touring Cars - awesome to watch and sound fantastic.

Reactions: Nod
They are still far too slow though. If you got bored with F1, and you want to see exciting single seater races, why not try IndyCar?
Ditto to the Indycar racing recommendation, it's what F1 was like 20+yrs ago - actual racing, actual overtaking, beautiful cars and tracks that haven't been sterilised to an inch of their lives.

I tried watching this yesterday and I was bored after 5 minutes, too gimmicky, too slow, and no sound. I'm afraid this dinosaur will stick with F1 and other fossil fuel related racing series'.

I watched the first race. It is said the new cars will do 170mph. There might have been one place on that track they could approach that speed, but most of the lap the track restricted them to much slower speeds. It's good the car swap is gone, but when they start doing 45 minutes + 1 lap of Spa or Mount Panorama instead of a circuit that makes Monaco looks huge and fast, then I'll start getting interested.

Nice to see the big manufacturers have full teams too. BMW, Audi, Jaguar, Nissan.
How many of them build their own chassis?

I watched the first race. It is said the new cars will do 170mph. There might have been one place on that track they could approach that speed, but most of the lap the track restricted them to much slower speeds. It's good the car swap is gone, but when they start doing 45 minutes + 1 lap of Spa or Mount Panorama instead of a circuit that makes Monaco looks huge and fast, then I'll start getting interested.

How many of them build their own chassis?
None of them. It's a Dallara chassis.

"Things like Fan boost (fans can vote to give a driver a power boost) and Attack Mode (just like in a video game, drive over the boost area and you get a limited boost in power)"

Sounds as bad or worse than F1 with these artificial boosters.

I watched the race and found the gimmicks no worse than DRS...

I watched the race and found the gimmicks no worse than DRS...
Really? Maybe F1 should have a popularity vote to see who can use DRS.

I would rather have a less disruptive aero package and neither drs or fan boost but it’s not to be within the current formulas...

My doubts about the format and many other things aside, it was a fine drive by JEV on Saturday.

I got bored of the b*****ks of Formula 1 about 5 years ago and haven't watched since. This Formula E has piqued my interest.

Some very interesting ideas they have implemented and the season 2 cars are very unique.

Formula-E has just entered its 5th season!

I'll happily watch most forms of motorsport, but for me, the inherent slowness of the Formula-E cars means they race on tight city-street circuits....the very worst type of track for racing. On the wide open spaces of a proper track, like Spa, they'd look shockingly pedestrian.

Having said all that, drivers needing just one car to complete a race (new this season) rather than swap cars half way, has to be a significant step forward.

Last edited:
I watched the race from Marrakesh and thought it was a much better race, I think the circuit was better with only about 1/2 the number of corners of the previous circuit which I felt made it easier to follow.

Back