Forth Bridges

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to Edinburgh for a few days to experience the Hogmanay celebrations and found some time to take a look at the Forth Bridges. Walking over the old road bridge was great, nothing more than the occasional bus to disturb the sound of the wind screaming through the cables - quite surreal.

The classic view of the rail ridge, I waited for the bright light seen on the far side to move over the bridge, but it rained instead.

2C8A2552.jpg by Chris, on Flickr

A walk over the old road bridge in the rain
2C8A2565.jpg by Chris, on Flickr

Sometimes the timing works out nicely
2C8A2567.jpg by Chris, on Flickr

It was a great opportunity to check out my 24-70mm Christmas present- the weather proofing works!

Comments and critique are always appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Chris

I like the last one, very strong composition. Personally, I would edit out the odd bit that breaks the symmetry like the little construction under the right tower and the wave crest to the left, but that's just taste. Maybe also a tweak to make sure it is level - seems to slope down to the left to me but that might just be the angle of the bridge rather than a wonky horizon.

Last edited:
The last one for me as well. but also wondering if this is one of a sequence and this was the composition that pleased you most?

Thanks for your feedback, Ian, Toni and Peter. It really was a stroke of luck, walking back towards South Queensferry, head down against the wind and rain when I spotted the boat.

Ian, you may well be right about the horizon, I will go back and check and perhaps us PS to practice my cloning skills on the wave crest etc.

Peter, it was a sequence of 2 and this is the stronger shot due to the impressive wake leading back to the bridge.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks Ian. the right time and place made up for the "traditional" weather!

Chris

"Cracking" set of images Sir, nuff said.(y)

George.

Thank you George and Future Legend for your comments - much appreciated.

Chris

Great set Chris, I love the leading lines in number 2, and the third is spot on. I like the contrast between the light and dark on the first one as well, but it would be nice to see it completely lit by the sun too!

Thanks for your comments Claire. We waited for the bright sunlight to make it's way from North Queensferry to the south side, but the forecast sunny spells were replaced by rain. On the plus side it meant we were lucky to catch the speeding boat in shot three.

Chris

Back