Forward to the past with electronic "Lith".

Edit My Images
No
In the 1960s there was something of a craze for ultra-high contrast photography, known variously as Lith or drop toning. The origin of this craze lay in the availability of very cheap lithographic printing, which didn't really handle full ranges of tone. Many publishers of cheap magazines made a virtue out of necessity by encouraging photographers to produce high contrast images suitable for this type of work. I sold quite a lot of pictures printed this way, though given the ethos of the time and more importantly the lack of money in this area, I probably gave away more than I sold.

In those days, you had to mess around with high contrast film and chemistry that was really not good to be around. Now, all you need is a basic image editor (Apple's Preview is quite good for this work) and you too can pin your Che Guevara badge to your beret with the best of them.

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Portraits can work, for a given value of "work"...

Susie max tele Tamron 28-300 Test D600 4613.JPG

A surprisingly large number of technical brochures made a virtue of the technique. More than one software company produced expensive publications illustrated entirely using the technique. This is not from one of those...

Gaz container connection pipe D600 4622.JPG

It can be fun for simple subjects, such as my spectacles on the kitchen worktop...

Spectacles on white surface D600 4618.JPG

Then there's the mystery subject approach...

Tea bag bowl D600 4619.JPG

Portraits can work, for a given value of "work"...

View attachment 308804
Then there's the mystery subject approach...

View attachment 308817

These really do bring back some happy darkroom memories for me Andrew.

I used to mess about with that sort of thing quite considerably and sometimes make a positive and a negative of the same shot, sandwich them together but slightly out of register and then make a third negative. I'd then make an extremely high contrast soot & whitewash print from the third negative and that would give me a kinda pen and ink drawing type of print with just an outline showing. . "Great Times".

Last edited:
Back