Critique Found a dead moth and experimented..

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi thanks for taking the time to look at my pictures...
Basically I found a recently deceased moth and decided to experiment, with the aid of a rusty old pin that came to hand. Taken with Nikon D3100 and Nikon 85mm micro lens(VR off). Ring flash on tripod with some natural daylight behind and manual focus iso 800 @ f16 1/40 on first and 1/160 on 2nd. Small crop and adjustments for exposure in LR.
I look forward to your comments, as always looking to improve techniques...

8 moth 1-1.jpg8 moth 2-1.jpg

212 views...an no replies!?...............I wonder why!

My 1st thoughts were -................Just...........why??
Why mount a dead Moth on a pin, an shoot pics of it.

Plenty of live Moths around to practice macro on...I generally dont offer critique, but i guess your 1st image missed the focus on the eyes/head area, whilst your 2nd image looks to have more of the Moths head/eyes/antenna etc in focus. Since this Moth was dead(wasnt moving etc) you should have done a little better.

Im thinking the reason you got no replies, is because "Macro Bug Folks" prefer to see images of live creatures..............not of dead creatures, on the end of a pin.

212 views...an no replies!?...............I wonder why!

My 1st thoughts were -................Just...........why??
Why mount a dead Moth on a pin, an shoot pics of it.

Plenty of live Moths around to practice macro on...I generally dont offer critique, but i guess your 1st image missed the focus on the eyes/head area, whilst your 2nd image looks to have more of the Moths head/eyes/antenna etc in focus. Since this Moth was dead(wasnt moving etc) you should have done a little better.

Im thinking the reason you got no replies, is because "Macro Bug Folks" prefer to see images of live creatures..............not of dead creatures, on the end of a pin.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Not something I have tried much and was experimenting with an eyepiece extension (given as a gift to help me) as I have severe astigmatism and have great difficulty in achieving a focus, I tried live focus and AF without success. Hence the use of a pin and dead moth. I will try harder - looked at some of your shots - great and an inspiration. Thanks again for taking the time.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Not something I have tried much and was experimenting with an eyepiece extension (given as a gift to help me) as I have severe astigmatism and have great difficulty in achieving a focus, I tried live focus and AF without success. Hence the use of a pin and dead moth. I will try harder - looked at some of your shots - great and an inspiration. Thanks again for taking the time.
No problems.
Im really wondering why you are relying on manual focus?? Whilst i dont suffer from your condition, anything less than full arms length, an its a blur for me! My eyes are getting old now, i need to wear glasses for close up stuff(within arms length). But, i dont wear glasses when im shooting macro/close up, i just use Auto focus all the time. Modern cameras have bloody good AF, so why not use it? Get to know your camera/lens really well, know that when you switch your camera on, choose your focus point in the frame, AF will focus rapid for you(your camera will beep when focus is acheived) then just shoot a single frame, refocus an shoot, refocus an shoot. Within a short space of time, you will get a few "keepers".
Using manual focus is time consuming, when you move on/step up to shooting images of live/moving creatures, you will not have the time to faff around with manual focus, because the bug/creature will have moved! Add your eye condition into the mix, an you will be making it really hard for yourself.
Practice, practice, practice...an more practice.

When the question of macro/close up is asked on forums...most will suggest that - "If your serious about shooting macro, then you must only use manual focus". I dont buy into this "old wives tale" at all. Ive been shooting close up/macro for 10 years now...my eyesight has got worse over those years...but for 99.9% of all the images ive shot over those years, ive used AF.

Sure, manual focus has its benefits, an probably works well for critical/serious focusing needs, but for the likes of you an I, who are just hobbyists, AF will do just fine.

Cheers about viewing some of my images...nothing wrong in looking for/finding inspiration...i do it all the time, viewing other peoples images.

Back