Found an egg

ACW

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm sure egg shots have probably been done to death but I had a few spare hours with nothing to do and the s9600 was feeling neglected.

I know composition could do with improving, please give me some pointers. But it's the lighting I would really like some crit on. I'm still trying to get used to it all.

Untitled by ACW#, on Flickr

Then a random apple lighting shot:

and the set up I was using for them. They were all on minimum power, and the softboxes had an extra diffusing layer inside them.

Thanks in advance!

like this alot. the 1st one is great. the green colour doesn't do it for me.

I'm really not sure about this :thinking: I love the idea of this (y) but the colours used just don't seem to fit in :thinking: I would have liked to see a nice egg yoke yellow somehow that would have fitted in a lot better (y)

The colours on this apple seem a little off, it seems a little dull or flat, I think it needs a good boost in saturation to really make it come alive :thinking:

Serious set it though (y) that's a lot of light for this little still life (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

I do love the first pic and agree with MWHCVT for trying a egg yoke yellow

Thanks for the comments :) , had I had a choice of colours I would have wanted to do a yellow and a blue. Unfortunately all I had was red, green and black food colouring, mixed with a bit of water, glycerin (to try and make it shiny) and flour.

I did try using the actual egg yolk but it wasn't yellow enough when spread out and had a horrible film over it which reflected the flash.

Ideally I wanted to use a nice glossy paint to get a better sheen on the goo stuff, but I didn't want to go out to the shops so decieded I'd have to make do, next time I'm going to try it that way though.

and I'll try giving the apple a bit of a boost later when I get to the computer, I know what you mean though, it lacks punch.

Digitall said:
I love the lighting set up and agree with Matt on the colors, I also think yellow would suit better. I you do this again, then get Crayola kids paint (Amazon). It's acrylic and mixes with water very well, I use it all the time for my paint sculptures.

Thanks for the tip, il give that a try, I think I've used that for painting things before and it should photograph nicely when wet.

Just Dave said:
Nice Adam, agree yellow would be good and wow that is a lot of lighting, but great idea and well shot (y)

Is the lighting too much? I'm after some tips for a better set up too if anyone has any?

Composition-wise I think the first one is absolutely spot-on and is a lot stronger than the second one. A very creative idea that works very well for me.

As far as lighting goes, I'm no expert, but I think you've got it completely right for the egg shots. Just the right amount of reflection on the coloured goop to stop it looking flat and a nice matt finish on the egg shells.

The apple is left looking a little flat to me though. I think you could have done with slightly harder light in this instance to bring out some of the texture in the skin and add a little reflection to it.

Thanks for the comments :) that's the composition I'll use tomorrow when I rest tempt it with yellow. Thinking about using a black background with the yellow paint, really not sure how to light it?

What's the best light absorbing black? Apart from material as I think that will be very messy...maybe glossy black card?

For all mine that you see on a black background I use an A1 sheet of black mount card and find that very good (y) I the knobs on the cooker to hold it in place as I curve the card up the wall to make a small infinity wall style set up (y)

Matt

Glossy card will reflect the light back, you really need a matt surface if you want it to absorb light.
As you said fabric will be messy, but maybe some matt black paper?

Good point, should have thought that about the glossy paper, and I've found some very matt black card, so look fowards to trying that.

For all mine that you see on a black background I use an A1 sheet of black mount card and find that very good (y) I the knobs on the cooker to hold it in place as I curve the card up the wall to make a small infinity wall style set up (y)

Matt

And I want to try and get it into an infinity curve but I don't think it's going to be long enough, I'm going to have to PP the line where I improvise and cellotape the two sides together!

For a nice matt background, you could try painting a sheet of plastic or acrylic with blackboard paint, that way it would be wipe-able too.

Back