Found this today.

Assassin bug.... look at its mouth parts going under its body.

Lovely shot btw.... what do you use to light the background so much?

1/125 shutter speed. :D you have to remember i am so used to Collembola hunting that i shoot everything at 5x if i can reach the subject, so the area in which to light is very small.

Thanks for the ID by the way.

Thanks Paul.

I found a couple of dead springtail in it's vicinity could this beast have been the killer ?

1/125 shutter speed. :D you have to remember i am so used to Collembola hunting that i shoot everything at 5x if i can reach the subject, so the area in which to light is very small.

Thanks for the ID by the way.

Think I have jumped in with that ID... it may be a juve assassin but I can't find anything like it in my insects of britain and ireland... what part of the country you in again?

I afraid I'm unable to help you with the ID Tom, but whatever it is you have captured a fine detailed shot of it.(y)

George.

Last edited:
Thanks George, i have been googling Bryn's ID of assassin bug and i think although it doesn't look like any of the pics it is perhaps as he says a juvenile.

Thanks George, i have been googling Bryn's ID of assassin bug and i think although it doesn't look like any of the pics it is perhaps as he says a juvenile.

Do you have any other angled shots of it face on/ontop?... it may be a hopper plant/leaf etc...

No Bryn, it kept turning away from me and moving off slow. It was on top of a sign about a foot off the ground, so i couldn't lye down or bend low enough really to spend much time with it.

No Bryn, it kept turning away from me and moving off slow. It was on top of a sign about a foot off the ground, so i couldn't lye down or bend low enough really to spend much time with it.

Sounds a lot like a hopper they are shy bugga's :D

Could be a hopper, assassin bug or even an aphid! They are all hemiptera (true bugs) so have these spear like mouth parts. If it is a hopper or assassin, then it does look like a young-un.

Anyway, excellent find, very interesting and I suspect not something we would see over here :)

Can't help with id but really like it interesting little creature:)
as already said lighting is excellent

Back