B&W Fountain Abbey - Infa Red

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Certainly effective - I think they are a bit of a personal taste like HDR but they are atmospheric imo.

From an architectural point of view, the clarity of the stones and the building shapes is enhanced tremendously by the use of Infra Red. (y)

Last edited:
Nice photos. What camera are you using for infrared? Have you had it converted?

I do like these photos.

I would like to know if you are just using a filter or a modified camera and also some details about your post processing to get such detail in the images.

From an architectural point of view, the clarity of the stones and the building shapes is enhanced tremendously by the use of Infra Red. (y)

It does seem to work well on old building especially Ian.

Nice photos. What camera are you using for infrared? Have you had it converted?

Cheers mark

I do like these photos.

I would like to know if you are just using a filter or a modified camera and also some details about your post processing to get such detail in the images.

Thanks Mark

I have had a Fuji X-E1 converted with a 720mm filter, still feeling my way with the processing at the minute all I'm doing is channel swapping in PS ( red channel - reds to 0% blue to 100% and blue channel - blue to 0% and red to 100%) then I use Silver Efex to convert to Black and White mainly using the presets.

Nice set. Always prefer the B&W infrared personally.

Thanks Stuart like personally I'm not keen on the false colour ones.

Those are a magnificent example of Infra Red. Love the 1st photo. Subjects like that are very much suited to IR.

Lovely photos. You seem to have taken to it well and it definitely works.

Are digital cameras expensive to have converted?
Looks great and something I'd like to find out more about.

Alien worlds.

Excellent set (y)

Love the first one, really shows the old monastery in all its glory. The infra-red suits it too.

Alien worlds.

Look on EBay, several always for sale, most seem to be in the USA so be wary where you look but around £200 for a converted camera

I Googled and I see you can convert the body yourself :whistle:

I don't think I'd be brave enough.

There are tutorials showing up create the effect using Photoshop ;)

Last edited:
Lovely photos. You seem to have taken to it well and it definitely works.

Thanks Susan, its nice to have a camera that works best during the long hot summer days.

Alien worlds.

Terence I paid £250 for mine.

Excellent set (y)

Cheers Norkie

Thanks Steve

Love the first one, really shows the old monastery in all its glory. The infra-red suits it too.

Thanks Steve

Look on EBay, several always for sale, most seem to be in the USA so be wary where you look but around £200 for a converted camera

Thats cheaper than having one converted yourself.

I Googled and I see you can convert the body yourself :whistle:

I don't think I'd be brave enough.

There are tutorials showing up create the effect using Photoshop ;)

Lol looked at that myself couldn't bring myself to have a go, mind you if you got an older body its problem worth a shot.

I think I paid £160 for my already converted D70, can't remember what frequency IR it is sensitive to though, I'm considering buying a cheap one and converting it to 850nm myself.

I think I paid £160 for my already converted D70, can't remember what frequency IR it is sensitive to though, I'm considering buying a cheap one and converting it to 850nm myself.

Thats a nice price Simon.

Lovely work. I've ordered a cheap eBay IR filter to play with before I commit to a more expensive one.

Thanks Kevin thats the best way to go.

1 looks great. That's my pick.
2 good composition but requires light on the tower
3 shame about the tourist in the archway (clone out?) otherwise pleasing image
4 will look great once the verticals are corrected

No.1 looks fantastic Graham - the infra-red effect has really pulled some detail out and gives the shot a lovely depth IMO.

2 and 4 are also good but I don't think 3 stands as strong as the others.

Maybe I should buy myself an IR filter to have a play?

I need to get up to Ripon before the weather turns and take some shots at Fountain's Abbey myself. I'd love to try my hand at the infra-red game myself :)

1 looks great. That's my pick.
2 good composition but requires light on the tower
3 shame about the tourist in the archway (clone out?) otherwise pleasing image
4 will look great once the verticals are corrected

Cheers mate appreciate the feedback.

No.1 looks fantastic Graham - the infra-red effect has really pulled some detail out and gives the shot a lovely depth IMO.

2 and 4 are also good but I don't think 3 stands as strong as the others.

Maybe I should buy myself an IR filter to have a play?

Thanks Adrian, you should its something different

+1

First one really does stand out a mile from the others to me also :)

Cheers Joe

I need to get up to Ripon before the weather turns and take some shots at Fountain's Abbey myself. I'd love to try my hand at the infra-red game myself :)

It was my first visit its a lovely place.

Back