Four-spotted Chaser

A mid-tonal separation would increase
greatly the fine details in this scene I
think… and it's all worth it, Clive.

Nice one Clive. Colours, composition very attractive. DoF perfectly placed.

Not sure what you have in mind here Daniel. Something like this perhaps? Seems easy to overdo it with this one and make it a bit cartoonish, which this version may already have done. Perhaps you could show us what you have in mind?

This is an animated gif. Hopefully it will flip between versions.

NOT MY IMAGE - coopers dragonfly PP comparison
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like the original tbh. super photo Clive. ;)

Very nice Clive, well spotted.

Cracking shot Clive (y)

I really like it and it's sharp where it needs to be. It's a shame due to the DOF limits at this range that you've lost the tail, this would be another level again if it were all sharp. I feel your pain with such things. ;)

Thanks for the critique,it all helps :)

Really nice Clive
Thanks.

Nice one Clive. Colours, composition very attractive. DoF perfectly placed.
Thanks.

Not sure what you have in mind here Daniel. Something like this perhaps? Seems easy to overdo it with this one and make it a bit cartoonish, which this version may already have done. Perhaps you could show us what you have in mind?

This is an animated gif. Hopefully it will flip between versions.

NOT MY IMAGE - coopers dragonfly PP comparison
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr
Love the GIF and thanks for taking the time to edit.

Very nice, if it were my pic i would be very proud.
Cheers Andy.

I like the original tbh. super photo Clive. ;)
Thank you.

Very nice Clive, well spotted.
Cheers Graham, pun intended ?

Cracking shot Clive (y)
Thanks.

I really like it and it's sharp where it needs to be. It's a shame due to the DOF limits at this range that you've lost the tail, this would be another level again if it were all sharp. I feel your pain with such things. ;)
Totally agree,but as you know its so difficult at this range,I need to take a brave pill and try some stacked shots !........one day :LOL:

Thanks for the critique,it all helps :)

Thanks.

Love the GIF and thanks for taking the time to edit.

Cheers Andy.

Thank you.

Cheers Graham, pun intended ?

Thanks.

Totally agree,but as you know its so difficult at this range,I need to take a brave pill and try some stacked shots !........one day [emoji38]
Actually, no pun was intended lol [emoji3]

Lovely shot I prefer the original myself.

That's an incredible shot! Personally speaking I don't see the need to always have everything in focus on a macro shot - I think it can be very effective not to (although maybe that's because I'm a bit scared of stacking too ;) ). Anyway, I love this.

Lovely shot
Thanks.

Lovely shot I prefer the original myself.
Thanks.

That's an incredible shot! Personally speaking I don't see the need to always have everything in focus on a macro shot - I think it can be very effective not to (although maybe that's because I'm a bit scared of stacking too ;) ). Anyway, I love this.
I find the face of Dragonfly so hard to get focus spot on,its the eyes,so yes this shot was exactly what I was after :) Thanks.

We found a very obliging one on Monday. We could place it where we wanted it and it never flew off. Just had one eye completely collapsed :( Had a good practise with it though.

We found a very obliging one on Monday. We could place it where we wanted it and it never flew off. Just had one eye completely collapsed :( Had a good practise with it though.
They can be very obliging at times ;) and like you say its very good practice.
Shame yours was a bit battered :(.

Back