Fox project year 2

Name
Mick
Edit My Images
Yes
After a great last year with the foxes I started the long hours of watching and waiting again but to my delight after only 3 days of blanks saw the vixen on her patrols :)

Since then she been coming like clockwork would swear she got a watch it always about 7.30pm haha

I can't see the the den this year it not somewhere obvious (to me at least ) and I am not wanting to disturb them so will make do with the visits, hoping the cubs will come along when they more mobile and a little older (they will move the den if feel threatened)

These are all at 840mm (600 F4 & 1.4TC) and mostly at 1/100 to keep the ISO within reason so lots of blurred shots, any movement from me or the fox and it game over! The D850 although amazing resolution doesn't do noise so great as you would expect

DSC_2196 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

DSC_2191 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

DSC_2175 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

DSC_2125 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

DSC_2035 copy by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

DSC_1772FF by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great photos, the link to flickr seem to point to "private" image so cannot be seen on there.
What sort of iso are you talking about because 7.30pm is pretty much full day light at the moment?
She is really lovely. I don't know how to word it but I'm really impressed by the size of her chest, never thought it could be that prominent in foxes.

Great photos, the link to flickr seem to point to "private" image so cannot be seen on there.
What sort of iso are you talking about because 7.30pm is pretty much full day light at the moment?
She is really lovely. I don't know how to word it but I'm really impressed by the size of her chest, never thought it could be that prominent in foxes.

Cheers

Yes still going through them so will show as private till I decide which to publish? The ISO on these are all under 1000, any more shutter speed and it soon goes into 2000 plus thus reason for 1/100

The location is surrounded by hills and the sun as already dipped behind the hills at 7pm, so although it looks bright this is in post processing. I only have a narrow window of between when she turns up and about 8pm before it gets too dark, but as nights get lighter hopefully will get better

Last edited:
I would be happy with just one of those photos Mick, very envious of your project.

Great to see the making of some great photo opportunities for you again this year ... sadly my garden is a lot quieter this year, probably due to human/traffic activity now.

great shots like the interaction like the fox is watching you
don't you use a cable release

great shots like the interaction like the fox is watching you
don't you use a cable release
Thank you :)

No cable release as hand holding at moment leaning on car window with a scrim over me and window. once she gets used to me will move to hide and tripod which will be much easier

Ahh mate I'm so thrilled for you, super images as always Mick, (y) ( you are the devils own to crit bro:LOL:) I like the sitting shot and the last is fab, there is a tension to it mate that last grabs me I think of charlie as a coiled spring and you have really caught that!!

I hope you can catch some really young cubs Mick is that what you are looking for?

Oh mate,literally within the last hour or 2 we have seen a fox back at what I now refer to as the bone yard. It's a den site say 400 600 yards from me.......... I had a hunch last year the foxes from this den "boneyard" moved the cubs to nearer to me say a couple of hundred yards.....as you say any perceived threat the vixen moves 'em. ( I think she lost her fella)............. and those are the one's you saw me shoot at night..

I've no visits at home at the mo Mick my heart somehow says PK is no longer about with us , but maybe just maybe I'll get a second chance? I'm pretty good at being wrong mate. All digits crossed. I am:D

kinda lovely seeing these tonight my first sighting at that breeding den is real hope

super set think the last is me fav

all the luck with them Mick sorry for the waffle :D

stu

Ahh mate I'm so thrilled for you, super images as always Mick, (y) ( you are the devils own to crit bro:LOL:) I like the sitting shot and the last is fab, there is a tension to it mate that last grabs me I think of charlie as a coiled spring and you have really caught that!!

I hope you can catch some really young cubs Mick is that what you are looking for?

Oh mate,literally within the last hour or 2 we have seen a fox back at what I now refer to as the bone yard. It's a den site say 400 600 yards from me.......... I had a hunch last year the foxes from this den "boneyard" moved the cubs to nearer to me say a couple of hundred yards.....as you say any perceived threat the vixen moves 'em. ( I think she lost her fella)............. and those are the one's you saw me shoot at night..

I've no visits at home at the mo Mick my heart somehow says PK is no longer about with us , but maybe just maybe I'll get a second chance? I'm pretty good at being wrong mate. All digits crossed. I am:D

kinda lovely seeing these tonight my first sighting at that breeding den is real hope

super set think the last is me fav

all the luck with them Mick sorry for the waffle :D

stu

Cheers Stu hope they turn up for you. I was really hoping for same den or at least one I could setup near but not to be this year? So have got to hope she will keep coming and eventually the cubs may visit, but not going to get them till they a lot older I don't think? As they stay near den from last years experience till they look like proper foxes haha

I got her quite close tonight 50% of frame but then the shutter spooked her and she didn't come back. You need mirrorless for this game ideally with silent shutter, the D850 is proper clunky

Tonights best shot

DSC_2403 by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cool set Mick, will be watching this one. Love that 4th image.

Back