Wild Fox.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Some of you will have been following and know of my fox thread in the Nature forum.

Basically, I've been wanting to attract a fox (or foxes) to our garden for nigh on 10 years now. A few weeks ago, a fox visited us for the first time (that I know of) during the night. It was very skittish ( I think it's a young male) and I only got security camera footage of it. It kept coming back though and I started leaving small amounts of food for it. I don't want it to depend on me, I won't over feed it but I want to keep its interest.

This last week, he has really begun to settle. He still visits in the dead of night usually, his time seems to be anything after 2am to about 6am. He has come earlier than that though but not often. This morning was no exception and he turned up, I was able to take video of him and also some half decent pictures now. I'm still not happy with the angle as I'm still shooting from the kitchen worktop and through double glazing but I am working up to a better angle, possibly through the back door.

Anyhoo, this mornings escapades, he was here for over an hour from just after 2 am. Not quite the pic I want yet, if he keeps coming, I will work up to that.

Expect more pics. ;)

5Div,
70-200f4L,
1/80 sec,
f4,
iso 6400.

Ayrshire Fox. by Dale, on Flickr

Last edited:
Do you plan on using your hide at any stage?

Possibly my pop up, at the open back door or maybe on the yard. My permanent hide is too far from the lights, it's dark in that part of the garden when the fox visits. If things do go to plan though and the fox carries on visiting, I may look into the Rotalights (or similar) for use up there. He did spend some time sniffing around the permanent hide this morning, If I'd been in it and it was light enough, then it would be another opportunity. That may come in the future, we'll see.

Great photography Dale- I'm not keen on urban foxes - it the ex-Gamekeeper in me lol, but your 1st image really pops mate

Good luck & get that pop up hide out, I have had some success using mine

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photography Dale- I'm not keen on urban foxes - it the ex-Gamekeeper in me lol, but your 1st image really pops mate

Good luck & get that pop up hide out, I have had some success using mine

Les :)

Cheers Les. He's not quite 'urban' more ruraban. ;)

True to form, he was here this morning, this time just after 2am. I was about to end my stint and head to bed when the security light came on and there he was, having already eaten the one chicken wing I'd left out for him and then he sat, waiting on more.

I'm staggered by the 5D in low light, ISO 6400, keeping an eye on the histogram.

IMGL6210 LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers Les. He's not quite 'urban' more ruraban. ;)

True to form, he was here this morning, this time just after 2am. I was about to end my stint and head to bed when the security light came on and there he was, having already eaten the one chicken wing I'd left out for him and then he sat, waiting on more.

I'm staggered by the 5D in low light, ISO 6400, keeping an eye on the histogram.

View attachment 300202

Shows how good a condition he is in Dale. :)

- and so you should be mate! In fact night-time shots are allowing you to get great portraits without any distracting background (as above shot) (y)

Russ

Thanks Russ. It's not bad for a paltry 150watt halogen. I may press the 500 watters into use tonight. Saying that, I'm quiite liking this effect.

He thinks you are Red Bull

"Red Bull gives you wings" :LOL:

They are excellent and very envious of you having this lovely fox on your doorstep so to speak

SWMBO is liking (so I'm ) your photos and the youtube ones you have put up looks like your daughter, is after your job

SWMBO is liking (so I'm ) your photos and the youtube ones you have put up looks like your daughter, is after your job

thank you. :)

HARSH :ROFLMAO: :LOL: but what every Dad wants:cool:

Soz Dale it is true though
loving all this Dale....................... try getting tighter bro see where it takes you?(y)

stu

Lol, one thing I like about Bob is that he says it how it is. ;):LOL:

I've made a dummy door Stu, a bit like yours, although mine is made from a sheet of foam cladding which is silver, which should reflect some light back into the scene. I'm pretty sure the fox will be ok with it too as our back door is full double glazed unit, top to bottom. I have left the sheet behind the closed door and he hasn't reacted to it that way. If time allows, I will try tonight with the false door as all images so far have been through double glazing. It's not easy getting the time with little 'un about and Wifey working long hours. I'd hoped to put my pop up hide out for a few nights to let the fox get used to it but the weather has been miserable, so that's on hold.

I opened the back door about 6pm ish last night, our dog needed out but I thought I would check first to see if foxy was about. Our dog is a Weimaraner, bred for hunting, although she is just a pet but she does have the instinct, so I always check as it might not end well. At 6pm though, I never expected the fox to be there but it was, near the pond, about halfway up our garden. The security light came on as I stepped onto the yard and the fox looked straight at me and froze. I looked straight at it.....and froze. The stand off ended after 5 seconds or so but he didn't bolt, he left via his usual route but I was suprised he didn't run for it. This might be progress I think.

Closer ones yet to come Buddy. ;)

Last edited:
What a handsome fellow!

Ain't he just?

Turns out, no need for the false door. I've been working my way up to this but wasn't sure if it would work, but long story short, here's foxy, first image with no double glazing betewen him and me, open back door (1st time) and down to his eye level, just feet away. 200mm on a 70-200 f4L, full frame.

Adrenalin is at 11, no sleep tonight. I'm happy with that.

Oh, it's so much better at eye level.

IMGL6297 LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

Last edited:
......................so much better at.............................

Isn't it ;) :cool::LOL:

Been following this thread from the start Dale and it's wonderful progress made by you both.
Absolutely beautiful images and a reward for your skills and patience.
I hope you continue to provide the rewards for its visits through the upcoming cold spells.

Be careful Dale, he'll be through your legs and down by the radiator in no time! :LOL:

Been following this thread from the start Dale and it's wonderful progress made by you both.
Absolutely beautiful images and a reward for your skills and patience.
I hope you continue to provide the rewards for its visits through the upcoming cold spells.

Thank you. His nightly feed will continue, he's a bit spoiled. ;)

Be careful Dale, he'll be through your legs and down by the radiator in no time! :LOL:

he's not that spoiled. ;):LOL:

Back