Wild Fox.

His times are all over the place at the moment Roger, I much prefer this one. ;)

Like you said earlier, they don't have an agenda, hoping to get an hour with him later.

Due to the type of lighting you use, all the images have a strong magenta cast to them. Also they are under-exposed. You can remedy them in post but it's a lot of doing. Personally I'd prefer to get it right from the get go, like using flash. They're not bothered by this though initial they may be startled. I know some are concerned about this but having worked with many subjects in the dark over the past decade, I saw no evidence of harm that comes from judicious use of flash on foxes.

foxedit.jpg

Last edited:
Due to the type of lighting you use, all the images have a strong magenta cast to them. Also they are under-exposed. You can remedy them in post but it's a lot of doing. Personally I'd prefer to get it right from the get go, like using flash. They're not bothered by this though initial they may be startled. I know some are concerned about this but having worked with many subjects in the dark over the past decade, I saw no evidence of harm that comes from judicious use of flash on foxes.

View attachment 301717

Cool, thanks for that. (y)

I have considered using flash but felt a little uncomfortable with it but I find your words reassuring. I will get a decent shutter speed from my current 1/80 sec, ISO 6400 at f4. I'm having to wait until the fox is still to get my shots, usually when something catches his attention. He's not still for long though.

I've also considered LED lighting, as opposed to the single 150 watt security halogen I'm using just now. A single studio light maybe, which I'd have to buy. I do have 2 speed lights though.

The fox has been a little skittish this last few nights, maybe he's hearing others nearby that are gearing up for breeding, just a theory.

I did spend a glorious 20 minutes with him earlier though, just feet away. He watches me like a pet dog, he's much more settled this evening.

I like your rendition, thanks for taking the time. :)

(image taken and PPd before I saw the above suggestions)

IMGL6343 LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

Last edited:
If flash is employed, even at low power, you'll get sufficient speed to not have issues with movements. You will need extremely bright static light to get any decent speed. I would suggest that that will be more uncomfortable to your subject than a millisecond of flash. Try standing in front of the floodlight or strong LED for extended period and you'll know what I mean.

If flash is employed, even at low power, you'll get sufficient speed to not have issues with movements. You will need extremely bright static light to get any decent speed. I would suggest that that will be more uncomfortable to your subject than a millisecond of flash. Try standing in front of the floodlight or strong LED for extended period and you'll know what I mean.

Again, thanks.

I will wait a night or 2 before attempting it. He has been unsettled this last few nights with a bit of a worried look. He was fine tonight though, he lay down just feet away.

Without beating a dead donkey, I respect and applaud all your considerations for the welfare of the fox, but it is very much unfounded. Do what makes you comfortable. If you do want to try flash, I would recommend experimenting first before deploying. I would also use two placed a few meters apart between your subject so that the light is coming from the side and not head on. Looking at some of the images, I assume you're feeding. In which case you'll know where he's likely to be.

Not worth the risk of spooking him Dale, when you can already get some good photos that just need a bit of adjustment. :)
Without beating a dead donkey, I respect and applaud all your considerations for the welfare of the fox, but it is very much unfounded. Do what makes you comfortable. If you do want to try flash, I would recommend experimenting first before deploying. I would also use two placed a few meters apart between your subject so that the light is coming from the side and not head on. Looking at some of the images, I assume you're feeding. In which case you'll know where he's likely to be.

Thanks for the replies guys, I respect both points of view.

I've slept on it though ( I woke up at one point thinking about it :LOL:) and I'm not going to attempt flash.

This fox has only been around a few weeks really and just last week, I was still taking photos through closed windows, now I'm getting images through an open door, down at his eye level, just feet away. My mantra has always been that I'm happy just to have him visiting, images are a bonus. My aim is to get him visiting in the lighter evenings and mornings, when there will (hopefully) be all the light I need. That's a way off yet and gives me time to gain more of his confidence. This may never happen though and remains to be seen.

The tweaks Des made though prompted me to delve further into the files and get more out of them. The underexposure is my bad as I have been protecting the whites, whilst trying to maintain a semblance of shutter speed. The 5D has staggered me in this light (a puny 150 watt halogen that is used to give us some light when we're outside), all the images are at ISO 6400. I've been using auto WB too, which might explain the hues to the grass. Having this pointed out has prompted me to push the images more in post, especially the exposure slider last night and there is still a staggering amount of tweaks that the files can provide, I'd really only scratched the surface with them. The 2 main issues that have been pointed out are the exposure and WB, both take just a few seconds in LR to sort. With this in mind, as mentioned, I'll leave flash alone.

I appreciate the input from all sides though, as photographers using a forum of this type, that's what we need. (y)

Yes, the whites especially round the snout can be tricky. You can try selectively up the exposure/brightness whilst protecting the highlights. Most artificial lights are tricky. I can’t remember when was the last time I used AWB. I normally dial the Kelvin manually to suit.

Without beating a dead donkey, I respect and applaud all your considerations for the welfare of the fox, but it is very much unfounded.
With respect it's not just a question of the welfare of the Fox, (though there are strong views on using flash on animals and birds at night), as Dale says, he has only just got the confidence of the animal, so why take the risk of spooking him just to improve an element of a photo?

Reactions: RIR
With respect it's not just a question of the welfare of the Fox, (though there are strong views on using flash on animals and birds at night), as Dale says, he has only just got the confidence of the animal, so why take the risk of spooking him just to improve an element of a photo?
That is fair. But I'm sure opening the doors spooked the fox initially.

EDIT: I can see where this discussion is heading so I won't comment further. Wish you all the best with your project, Dale.

Last edited:
Another from last night and a slightly different approach to PP.

You can see what I mean about that worried look he gets, he's obviously focused his hearing on something in the distance going by his left ear and eye position. Hearing other foxes calling to/for a mate in the distance maybe?

IMGL6349 LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

Another from last night and a slightly different approach to PP.

You can see what I mean about that worried look he gets, he's obviously focused his hearing on something in the distance going by his left ear and eye position. Hearing other foxes calling to/for a mate in the distance maybe?

View attachment 301830

He looks like a 'this year' Fox and if so he may have had a bad time from the parents.
I still occasionally have the young Vixen visiting and she is very wary at the slightest noise coming from the point where the Foxes enter the garden, she is constantly visually checking that spot and at any sight of them she is gone, quickly pursued by whichever parent.

EDIT: I can see where this discussion is heading so I won't comment further.
:thinking:

He looks like a 'this year' Fox and if so he may have had a bad time from the parents.
I still occasionally have the young Vixen visiting and she is very wary at the slightest noise coming from the point where the Foxes enter the garden, she is constantly visually checking that spot and at any sight of them she is gone, quickly pursued by whichever parent.

I would agree, he's a youngster, his teeth are very white/clean. A good indicator of age in dogs, although with a dog, their teeth stay good, if looked after, for a lifetime. I'm guessing the same applies to foxes but this fox's teeth (being wild) wouldn't be quite so pristine if he was 2 or 3 years old.

Last edited:
He looks a bit like me Dale ... not getting enough exercise in 'lockdown' and suffering expansion of the girth!

I know that one Roger. Wifey is on a diet, she's lost over 30lbs, I think I've found them.

I'm going to limit the fox to 2 chicken wings per night now.

3 out of the 4 past nights have just been about spending time with the fox, images have taken a back seat for now. Sunday night though, I was in the mood to get the camera out and here's one of them.

IMGL6396 LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

Last edited:
I've gone back to the indoors side of the door now and the fox has settled again. He's been here roughly the same time every night, approximately 9-30 ish PM and then visits throughout the night, often sleeping his feed off at the pond. I accidently dropped one of his treats last night, which landed just about 2 feet from me, just outside the door. He was happy to come and take it, that close to me.

I also broke the Fuji out last night, I wanted to test a lens, the problem being that at 230mm, it's f6.7 and I've been working at f4 on the 5D, so it was a re jig of settings. I ramped the ISO to 5000 and I got some reasonably clean files, although I had to pick my moment as this was at 1/8 sec. Reasonably sharp, if not critically so. I'm also suprised at the different colours with the Fuji, under the same lighting.

He likes this pose, sorry if it's a bit repetitive but any movement at this shutter speed is instant blur.

DSCF8231 LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

Last edited:
I've gone back to the indoors side of the door now and the fox has settled again. He's been here roughly the same time every night, approximately 9-30 ish PM and then visits throughout the night, often sleeping his feed off at the pond. I accidently dropped one of his treats last night, which landed just about 2 feet from me, just outside the door. He was happy to come and take it, that close to me.

I also broke the Fuji out last night, I wanted to test a lens, the problem being that at 230mm, it's f6.7 and I've been working at f4 on the 5D, so it was a re jig of settings. I ramped the ISO to 5000 and I got some reasonably clean files, although I had to pick my moment as this was at 1/8 sec. Reasonably sharp, if not critically so. I'm also suprised at the different colours with the Fuji, under the same lighting.

He likes this pose, sorry if it's a bit repetitive but any movement at this shutter speed is instant blur.

View attachment 302443
That's a lovely image Dale (y)

That's a lovely image Dale (y)

Cheers Roger.

Last night, I used an adapted 70-200 f4L on my Fuji. It's a good focal length to work with, 105-300 FF equivalent and F4 throughout, which is handy. I'm still looking at those ones.

Last edited:
Trying the Fuji combo, (X-T10, Viltrox adapter, Canon 70-200 F4L) I prefer the handling of it in the confined space I'm working with, between a kitchen cabinet, wall and the back door. For what it is, I'm quite happy but there is a mushiness to the Fuji files when zoomed in. Still better than the 7D in my opinion and although the Fuji does a stellar job, I think I'll stick with the 5D.

ISO 5000 this.

DSCF8251 LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

Christmas Eve was baltic here but the fox came in as normal. In fact, I didn't know he was there and I'd opened the back door to put out some rubbish and he was curled up in a ball just feet away and he lifted his head, waiting on some food. He'd been sleeping on that frozen grass.

I gave him some food and he then posed for some photos, as they do. ;)

What a lovely animal, all 3 of us have fallen for him. :)

7D for this one, although I was worried about the grain issues that camera seems to have in low light. I had my 70-2004 f4L on and ISO 6400.

IMG_2455LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

Last edited:
Back