Frames and Mounts

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all, Iv a few shots that Iv been framing for friends, family and myself. Iv been using cheap stuff from Wilkos, the range etc at A4, Iv got a friend wants an A3 but Im struggling to find an off the shelf frame with a mount that fits, does anybody know of anywhere I can grab a cheap one?
Cheers
Alan

Or just crop the picture slightly different to fit the supplied mount if it's not too critical!

Charity shop!

Get a frame big enough to accept your photo then cut your own mount to size. I did a tutorial here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...fit-into-any-frame-mounting-for-beginners.88/
Bonus is that you never have to get bespoke frames again - for A4 or bigger.

Failing that, I'm sure someone will be along with a cheap alternative.
Thanks for this, Ill have a look once iv got my feet up! Ideally Ill have an off the peg option come up too...time is at a premium tbh and Iv promised it will be ready for Saturday

No luck, tried today and the mount was still too big by a few mm! I cant understand why stores sell a frame with mount to suit an A3 photo when the opening in the mount is bigger than A3...wtf???

No luck, tried today and the mount was still too big by a few mm! I cant understand why stores sell a frame with mount to suit an A3 photo when the opening in the mount is bigger than A3...wtf???

Ye its a pain...the range have a few that are slightly too big but occasionally I’ve seen ones that do fit.....it’s a pain taking them back......

B&M had some a3 frames with mounts last time I looked for around a fiver.........I picked up 3 or 4 white ones.....seemed reasonable quality.......
Aren't they all acrylic glazing in B&M? I've been looking out for some simple, plain frames for around the house, but most of the household stores seem to only sell frames with plastic rather than glass these days. Even the online suppliers I've browsed don't always bother specifying materials.

Aren't they all acrylic glazing in B&M?
Dunno, but I think glass is most unlikely, and wouldn't be surprised if they were actually a cheaper (and softer, hence more scratchable) clear plastic than acrylic (aka 'Perspex'), which is quite expensive.

IKEA used to do a range (RIBBA) that had glass but now have plastic.

With plastic, every time you wipe the surface of dust, it scratches, and over time the scratches build up.

Off-the-peg frames have matt apertures that are not necessarily geared to common photographic sizes, odd as that might seem.

For a one-off, go to a local framer and pay the cost - your picture should be worth it.

For a cheaper option, use clip frames.

Middle of the road - mail order a batch of frames by, say, Nielsen, and buy bespoke matts in separately to reconcile photos and frames..

Last edited:
Aren't they all acrylic glazing in B&M? I've been looking out for some simple, plain frames for around the house, but most of the household stores seem to only sell frames with plastic rather than glass these days. Even the online suppliers I've browsed don't always bother specifying materials.
I cant check at the mo but pretty sure they are... [emoji106]

I have purchased mounts on amazon - usually a pack of 20 with an A3 aperture to fit a 20x16" frame. There are lots of different ones available and different size packs. You may be able to get individual ones. The quality may vary, but I've had some decent ones from Kadinski. If it's a one off, you might be better getting one cut by a local framer as @droj says.

The Range do cheap frames, but I'd avoid the really cheap ones.

yeah youre correct mainly acrylic, theyre pretty good though, my Mrs got some decent A4 with mounts and glass from Wilko for a decent price...its the A3 im struggling with

Dunno, but I think glass is most unlikely, and wouldn't be surprised if they were actually a cheaper (and softer, hence more scratchable) clear plastic than acrylic (aka 'Perspex'), which is quite expensive.

IKEA used to do a range (RIBBA) that had glass but now have plastic.

With plastic, every time you wipe the surface of dust, it scratches, and over time the scratches build up.

Off-the-peg frames have matt apertures that are not necessarily geared to common photographic sizes, odd as that might seem.

For a one-off, go to a local framer and pay the cost - your picture should be worth it.

For a cheaper option, use clip frames.

Middle of the road - mail order a batch of frames by, say, Nielsen, and buy bespoke matts in separately to reconcile photos and frames..
Thanks for the comments mate. If it wasnt for the mount issue the frames would be fine. I have plenty of A4 that work a treat and look great its the A3 thats a problem. Im framing this particular one for a friend and trying to keep costs down for her, if I hadit in a bespoke frame Id have to double the price so I like to hand it to her in either a mount only or a reasonable cheap frame and then she can either keep it as is or reframe at her expense. A clipframe isnt an option for me, they just dont add anything in my mind. My best mate does frames and mounts in his spare time, hes gping to help out for now but Id like an easy and cheap source of mounted A3 frames for future stuff...Im amazed how hard they are to find considering the ease of finding A4s
Cheers again

I have purchased mounts on amazon - usually a pack of 20 with an A3 aperture to fit a 20x16" frame. There are lots of different ones available and different size packs. You may be able to get individual ones. The quality may vary, but I've had some decent ones from Kadinski. If it's a one off, you might be better getting one cut by a local framer as @droj says.

The Range do cheap frames, but I'd avoid the really cheap ones.
Thanks, Ill have a look for Kadinski

Back