Non UK France Road Trip

wack61

I've got an itchy hatch
Edit My Images
No
Last year we went to Normandy Screenshot_20200129-104330_Gallery.jpgloved every minute of it so this year were going further
Mid april, boat to Santander then the next 2 weeks driving up through France to Cherbourg then the fast cat back to portsmouth
Itinerary is
1 night san sebastian
1 night Bordeaux
6 nights sarlat
5 nights saumur
1 night somewhere close enough to drive to cherbourg

Has anyone got any tips for anything I shouldn't miss in the sarlat & saumur regions

I've already earmarked puy du Fou as a must

Thanks

Is that because it produces more CO2 than they do? :)
Chenonceau is my favourite chateau in that region, but there are many more.
LeMans I suppose you just have to visit, although I never found the "track", trouble is there are just so many straight roads it's difficult to know if you are going down the famous straight or not. I might have just been unlucky (2 kids and wife wanted to get home, so no chance of asking anyone and no SatNav 30 years ago) If I went back I would have to find it and drive down it if at all possible.

Your car Darren? Rented one to drive across western America last year. Actually we rent one most years. Had a go in a Camaro one year and although the 6.2 V8 was AMAZING, I'm a Ford guy so went back to blue oval next time.

:)

You've probably already done it but just in case, as a petrol head a visit to the old pit buildings at Reims is essential. No brainer car shot.

:)

We drove down to Pamplona and then back up in 2015

These are the pictures I took that I liked at the time.
https://flic.kr/s/aHskkM8WMH

San Sebastian - we had some stunning food. Pretty town.
Bordeaux - also beautiful and some great meals
We then toured a couple of château in the Loire valley - there are lots, pretty, what Disney ripped off ;)

The museum at the Le Mans 24hr track is worth a look if you like your cars :) and it looks like you do.
Some lovely race cars.
The old town is very small and pretty - lots of restaurants for beef - unfortunately only I like it so it was skipped :(

ZooParc De Beauval is roughly in that neck of the woods, not sure how close to your locations and is very good - Giant Pandas

I personally love the distillery tours at Cognac. If you can get a hotel room in walking distance so you can really enjoy the tastings.
We stayed at Hotel le Cheval Blanc. It was basic and tiny, but the parking was secure and it was bang in the middle.

When you are in Saumur and driving round look out for signs saying " Degustation"these are wine tastings in little wineries not grande chateaux and offer great value wines.
Also look out for Cremant de Loire, its a sparkling wine made by the champagne method and every bit as good and a lot cheaper.
Have a drive down the Vienne river , its an off shoot of the Loire and a lot cheaper for wine and a lot less touristy

Abri de la Madeleine is a fascinating village (from the palaeolithic period) built into a cliff. It's only about 25km NW of Sarlat and well worth climbing the steps to see.

Check out La Roque-Gageac and Domme very near Sarlat.We hired a canoe and went down the Dordoigne from Gageac ,took about 3 hours and they bring you back by minibus to your departure point. We still talk about it, highlight of all the trips to France.

Also look out for Cremant de Loire, its a sparkling wine made by the champagne method and every bit as good and a lot cheaper.

We occasionally drive to Bavaria/Southern Germany taking the route through the Vosges mountains down into Alsace, and we go overboard on the wines from this region, and of course Cremant d'Alsace.... On the way back we stop off at Carrefour in Duinkerque just enough to fill the car but not so that the car won't be able to get on the boat (low front!!).

The trip through the Vosges mountains is stunning.

Back