Freddie the seal mauled by a dog...

It seems that there are both technical and colloquial uses, with the meanings being quite different. I hadn't previously come across the technical definition and I would imagine that the colloquial usage is many times more widespread than the technical. It's unfortunately the case that usage ultimately determines the meaning of a phrase, no matter the original intent. :wideyed:

Ah, interesting. I suppose I was familiar with term or at least the graphs from the ‘60s on. What you say about colloquial usual is true though the technical one remains correct in those circles. I don’t have any quarrel with colloquial usages of things and changes of meanings, it’s always gone on in English, my disagreement would be when it results in obfuscation ... thinking ... as in how disinterested has become interchangeable with uninterested and a valuable meaning lost. To try to get back on topic, I may say I am fairly uninterested in the dog bites seal story, but not disinterested because I have a dog :).

Thanks for the heads up - just as an explanation - when we get RTM's we don't just read the post reported, we read the thread back far enough to work our where the trouble came from. Thats why I banned you from this thread, you nasty little dog-phobic piece of scum*.

Please also report me for my apparent bias against you. We could do with a vote on the relative benefits your permanent removal versus all the moderation team you feel unfit to serve.

* the dog phobic part is only a small contributory part of what makes you a nasty, and scum. I'm sure the rest of the forum only have to search your contributions to various other non-photographic threads to decide the appropriate level of contempt to hold you in...

Reported for understatement.

Reported for understatement.

I have to say, I found it really difficult to stay away from this thread as I had seen the utter tripe that Was being posted. I didn’t want to say something that would get me a ban. That ‘person’ is a big reason why I stayed away from the forum for so long, so I’m glad I was here to see this unfold today.

I have always loved any sort of animal and if possible would help one if I saw it in distress, many years ago when working on a golf club my self and the head greenkeeper helped a fox. It had got caught up in some wire and because we both had a love of wildlife we managed to untangle the fox and it was as if it knew we were helping it as it just lay there, then were covered it in a big blanket and while the head greenkeeper drove I had it on my lap and we went to the RSPCA and handed the fox to them. It was so tame too as after being treated the released it back on the golf club and the very strange thing was it would always come to the sheds at lunch time and lie down next to us when we had lunch. Never knew they could be so tame but was chuffed to bits just to help it.

Do you think Steve was wearing a satin kimono to bludgeon foxes to death?

I’m not sure what “remain-supporting” has got to do with it? Satin kimono definitely appropriate if silk not available :). Can’t think why the idiot tweeted about it, probably drunk :(.

Hard to judge without being there the rights & wrongs. I did come across a roe deer suspended in some pheasant netting once but while I was hurrying forward knife in hand it got free — I’m not sure what my thoughts were at the time but given it’s wire netting I guess I was thinking “venison” :).

I remember there was a lot of fuss from the RSPCA when an armed police officer came across a badly injured road accident deer in the New Forest and, I think, bludgeoned it, anyway not shot. People thought he should have shot it but it would likely got him sacked for misuse of firearm.

Satin kimono definitely appropriate if silk not available

He's a QC. Satin would be inappropriate.

I remember there was a lot of fuss from the RSPCA when an armed police officer came across a badly injured road accident deer in the New Forest and, I think, bludgeoned it, anyway not shot. People thought he should have shot it but it would likely got him sacked for misuse of firearm.

Yep. The very same nearly happened to me in the Army when I got confronted by a gert big brock whilst on prowler patrol.

Fortunately he decided to wander off.

I read this in the article:

He insisted he had “despatched him [the fox] efficiently”, adding in response to another tweet: “To be quite honest, although I don’t enjoy killing things, it does come with the territory if you’re a meat eater.

“I shoot rabbits for food too; and butcher them. I think it’s quite important for anyone who eats meat to have a sense of what’s actually involved,

To quote the well known saying..'When you're in a hole the best thing anyone can do is to stop digging' .What has this got to do with clubbing to death an ensnared fox ? For the most part the meat people eat comes from licensed abattoirs. It is legal to kill animals on a farm or property for consumption by the owners/families but there are legal requirement to be adhered to which address issues of animal welfare. Clubbing a sheep to death isn't an option.

. Clubbing a sheep to death isn't an option.

Absolutely no need to. Sheep are amazingly efficient at killing them selves in a variety of spectacularly interesting and varied number of ways.

As for foxes, they are licensed vermin. I have no problem with them being killed efficiently and humanely for a justified reason.

Clubbing them to death beause they are lurking outside your tent is neither efficient nor humane.

Absolutely no need to. Sheep are amazingly efficient at killing them selves in a variety of spectacularly interesting and varied number of ways.

So true about sheep, people speak at length about the beauties of moorland but I sometimes think the main characteristic is the skeletons of sheep.

Sheep are amateurs compared with chickens :). I’ve had chicks drown themselves in a shallow bowl of water with only their heads in the water — I suppose they got their head wet & cooled:).

Back