French Alps this weekend

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
Living in the Southeast of France has it`s advantages and disadvantages and that`s depends on how you see things, Me, I love it here, in the summer we get lots of sun and in the Winter I can drive for 21/2 hours and get to scenes like this.
This is a place that there is no Ski stations and so we don`t get to see loads of people, maybe we saw 5 people yesterday where we was, that`s a big plus in my book.
The snow was fresh, 2 days at most and upto 50cm deep, we was in most parts the 1st people to walk but it was too fresh and too soft, bloody hard work walking with or without snow rackets but fun.
Enjoy.
Nikon D750 and either Tamron 70-200 G2 or Irix 11/4

Estenc Volcano by Provence Photography 83, on Flickr

Estenc 3 shot HDR merge by Provence Photography 83, on Flickr

Colourful clouds by Provence Photography 83, on Flickr

Ski line`s by Provence Photography 83, on Flickr

Estenc Chalets by Provence Photography 83, on Flickr

4 shot pano Entraunes by Provence Photography 83, on Flickr

2nd is a lovely winter scene.
Looks a great location.
Thanks Peter, it's a lovely little hameau which is smaller than a village and a lake with some trout in, its where I like to come in the spring for some of my butterfly photos.

“Excellent” set of images, liking all of these very much.

George.

Lovely set Graham - I like them all :)Les
Thanks Lez
“Excellent” set of images, liking all of these very much.George.
Cheers george
I love to see snow on the ground and autumn colours on the trees. The fourth one is wonderful! The second looks underexposed to me - room for improvement there.....
Thanks Jeremy, If I remember correctly the 2nd one is a 3 shot of different exposures or a bracketed shot if you prefer and yes maybe if is a little dark, maybe I`ll give a rework.
As for the 4th one, again if I remember, I have several film presets loaded on my camera and this may have been something like "fine skin tone or fuji velvia.
You cant beat the Mountains for some colour variation.

Now that's the sort of place i'd love to live
Thanks Col, Only if your an Eskimo as it gets kinda cold up there at night :)[/QUOTE]

Wonderful locations to have close by...

I prefer the composition of 4. Ideally with the light of 1 and 3. 4 has a foreground and they don't.
It's OK and scene is very nice but I am sure you will agree the light is not ideal here - it's all in a shade and a little flat.
Thanks Nightmare and for your honest opinion of my shots.
It is unfortunate that I don`t normally still too late there as 2 1/2 hrs in a car at night is not my idea of good driving with these crazy animals that just walk/run out in front of you so daytime shots it is, saying that I did stay until nightfall this time as I was hoping for a nice colourful sky shot, which didn`t happen.

Looks better in the original post IMO, this looks overworked and flat, has an HDR look about it.
Cheers Neil, I use Luminar HDR to merge multiple shots but stop there and transfer photos to Luminar 3 for the finishing touches with raising the exposure and if I remember the blue Saturation to take that blue tinge away from the distant mountain snow, I`m not Sure why it looks flat.

I`m not Sure why it looks flat.

The light is flat, i.e. there is no directional light, like in 3 or 4. Probably a healthy does of highlight recover contributes some flatness as well. The ideal way would be shooting it in different light. You can add microcontrast or clarity but it wouldn't be nearly the same thing. You just can't come back with all angles looking perfect from one day. This is where I'd leave it till you get a chance to go next time.

A fantastic set.Worth the trip. I envy you living in SE France,Graham. It must be great as it's the second most visited region in France.

A quick Google tells me it is . Now I feel depressed..lol. (about where I live - Gloucester)
https://www.onetripatatime.com/8-great-places-to-visit-in-southeast-france/

We've been to Alsace,Kintzheim but that's east as you know..not SE

I'm curious to know what the people who live in the chalets do. Do you think they're holiday chalets and where do they shop ? They must get snowed-in but I wonder for how long ?

A fantastic set.Worth the trip. I envy you living in SE France,Graham. It must be great as it's the second most visited region in France.

A quick Google tells me it is . Now I feel depressed..lol. (about where I live - Gloucester)
https://www.onetripatatime.com/8-great-places-to-visit-in-southeast-france/

We've been to Alsace,Kintzheim but that's east as you know..not SE

I'm curious to know what the people who live in the chalets do. Do you think they're holiday chalets and where do they shop ? They must get snowed-in but I wonder for how long ?
Hi John and thanks for the jealousy bit lol.
Yes it really is a lovely region to live but like all, it has it`s drawbacks.
Simple answer is, No the people do not normally get snowed in unless it`s extreme bad heavy snow but as I know the area I do know that there is a Farm there that has Tractors/ploughs, a Restaurant and the owners husband has a Tractor/Plough and then there`s the sleepy council people who go and clear up after the 1st 2 have done their bit lol (i`m joking) so the people who have the Chalets do not get snowed in and yes most of them are Holiday/2nd homes for them. (now i`m jealous :grumpy:)

Back