Critique Freshwater Bay

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Not often I like my own photographs but I was really pleased with how this one came out.

Talking to a local photographer a few days later I had missed the purple flowers by a couple of weeks that you often see in shots along this part of the Isle of Wight coastline so decided to get close to the edge and frame up without the foreground.

The shot is a blended exposure of 3 shots, but I have tried to retain the brightness as I remembered it rather than tame it too much, do you think it works?

Freshwater Bay by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Thanks for looking C & C welcome.

My first thought was… shot with canon, surely.
Went to your profile info and yep canon it is.

the foreground cliff has an orange flare and is
tonally incoherent with the other cliffs.

You really have a super scene, Craig, but…

Apart from a little over enthusiastic shadow recovery in the nearest cliff, it's rather a lovely image.
I'd dismiss comments from folks who claim to know what camera was used simply by looking at this posted image.

folks who claim to know what camera was used simply by looking at this posted image.

Not the camera but the lens as it did not
have the ED glass… basic knowledge!

Thanks all.

the foreground cliff has an orange flare and is
tonally incoherent with the other cliffs.

Really like that Craig, the flare in the cliff doesn't bother me at all, great image

The flare is an interesting thing, something I always used to try and totally mitigate. Something you can achieve in a number of ways, including the exact angle of the lens/composition relative to the light and also in post with 3 methods. One, shoot another set of shots blocking the light source out and blend in the non flared shot with the shot with the sun in. Two, shoot at a larger aperture, and again blend in the non flared area if it has affected dof and shutter speed elsewhere. Or three, shoot some more foreground shots earlier or later when the sun is not as intense and blend these with the brighter sun.

However, I wanted the flare. Something I have noticed if I look at bright light source, like the sun a good half an hour before sunset my reaction is to look away slightly and close my eyes a bit. What you then see is flare of sorts of your eyelashes, next time the sun is like this try it! Or look at a light in room and squint a bit. For that reason I now like to leave a little bit of flare in, it shows the viewer that the light was bright and coming straight at you. To me, having none of that warm colour lighting the cliff on the RHS would look more un natural.

The flare is an interesting thing

Oh yes it is! It is a very desirable feature in many
kind of photographs. My appreciation is the way a
flare will affect an image, positively or not. Some
flares purposely generated in a composition, what-
ever the gear used, will work or not.

In some cases, flare could work in a composition
but "side effects" of given flares are less — this is
very subjective— pleasurable.

My comments should not ever discourage you
expe-
rimenting and should be seen as just an other very
personal bell. :cool:

It must be 40+ years since I was last in Freshwater Bay. Your photo brings it all back to me in an instance. I rather like the contrast of the flared sun with the clouds and cliffs etc. Exactly how I remember my summers there .... a mixture of sun and cloud :) It works for me !

It must be 40+ years since I was last in Freshwater Bay. Your photo brings it all back to me in an instance. I rather like the contrast of the flared sun with the clouds and cliffs etc. Exactly how I remember my summers there .... a mixture of sun and cloud :) It works for me !

I like this, spent many a summer as a kid staying in one of the old Fisherman's cottages. Bought back some great memories

Excellent thanks guys, photographs are brilliant for memories, right up there with smells!

And music too... Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird, Watneys red barrel and canoeing in Freshwater Bay ..... Perfect summer or perfect storm ... not sure which now lol

Lovely shot Craig, I've got one from nearly the same spot which was taking mid day during my working day over there and it really looks like a snapshot compared to this.

Uummm Freshwater bay! Nice shot........ takes me back too.... 1970 IOW festival on Afton Down just over the back of here(y)
Flare is a really subjective thing inst it, you cant say its Marmite because in some shots it does look right....
I cant help thinking to myself what the facing cliff would look like with the flare removed up the the cliff top line. But then i'm thinking of light illuminating a scene rather than light created by lens flare.:rolleyes:
Think a couple of steps to the right would have given you a bit more separation between the pillars in the sea;)
Still i like the shot(y)

Back