Friends Daughter

Three totally different images here Rick:
For me, No1, although beautifully captured, shows a pose normally directed to a girl of an older age - apologies if this is done totally naturally, but I tend to associate this hand on the chin with a directed model, not so much the innocence of youth.
I like No2 much better, but what may have edged it more would have been the hint of a smile or a childish grin/laugh rather than the pondering look. It appears to have a green cast on her face on my (uncalibrated) monitor.
Love the P&P and conversion in No3, if you still have the image, can you resize without cutting the elbow?
I hope the comments don't appear negative, they are lovely shots in themselves.

Hi there,

number 1 was totally natural, none of them are posed..she was getting all shy and called for her mum stood behind me :)

there was a heavy green cast from the canopy of the trees and I struggled a lot to remove it totally although I see your point and will adjust again and give it more magenta. 3 was again as is, it was a snapshot as she was running about hence grabbing the hat and I almost missed it.

I adore number 3, the "holding the hat to stop it blowing away" pose, strands of hair blowing across her face and gaze off to the right is lovely. Focus is sharp on her face with dreamy bokeh in the background

She doesn't look impressed in 1 or 2 though! :p

probably being really picky here, and i know when shooting kids alot of the time when trying to catch them un posed it can be a headache as if you try to go back its never the same. anyway onto my very small nitpick and its only with number 2. and its purely one thing that if slightly different would make a the shot. the position of the young lady, to the right of the image with the stark dark green block of colour down the right side of the image. if i could just pick her up and move her to the left so she has that lovely light green almost circular are of light behind her and looking into the shot rather than out of the shot . see i told ya it was a very small nitpick :) other than that lovely shots , number one just says.. oh no not more photos to pose for!

probably being really picky here, and i know when shooting kids alot of the time when trying to catch them un posed it can be a headache as if you try to go back its never the same. anyway onto my very small nitpick and its only with number 2. and its purely one thing that if slightly different would make a the shot. the position of the young lady, to the right of the image with the stark dark green block of colour down the right side of the image. if i could just pick her up and move her to the left so she has that lovely light green almost circular are of light behind her and looking into the shot rather than out of the shot . see i told ya it was a very small nitpick :) other than that lovely shots , number one just says.. oh no not more photos to pose for!

You know, I never really noticed that lol..thats a tree to the right..tomorrow I will add a layer and duplicate from the other side and blend it out...good practice for me. :)

Pretty much agree with all the comments above, so no more to add to them. Absolutely adore #3.

Love these. The lighting looks spot on, and you have a great eye for an interesting background. Maybe it was luck but her clothes really help her stand out from that background without looking detached from it, and complement her complexion.

Being picky, in #1 the tops of the bluebells bottom right don't add anything and if I were editing this I'd clone them out.

Inspiring shots, and as i live in a forested area I may just start looking for similar backgrounds and light to steal your idea!

Agree with @dean messenger's comment about the background in #2 - that would look awesome if you can do it.

As always, it's easy to spot stuff to edit when they are not yours. Comments so far have done that so all that is left for me to say is great job and thanks for sharing. Some inspirational shots there for me (although I have a boy so maybe not so dreamy!).

#3 is my fave too btw

#1 is absolutely lovely and such a pretty girl.
#2, for me anyway, I find a little tacky due to the fairy wings - not my thing and I apologise if this upsets - but is rescued by that angelic face.
# 3 is really nice, but #1 is by far my favourite.
Overall, a really nice set of photos.

#1 is absolutely lovely and such a pretty girl.
#2, for me anyway, I find a little tacky due to the fairy wings - not my thing and I apologise if this upsets - but is rescued by that angelic face.
# 3 is really nice, but #1 is by far my favourite.
Overall, a really nice set of photos.

i can see where your coming from on that .. think it would work equally well without them BUT i also think it would look fab if there were some mini tinkerbell fairies and fairy dust motes twinkling to her left to really make a great fantasy image too. think if your going to go down the fiary route ya gotta really go for it :)

Thanks for the comments :) means a lot as I've not been doing this long.

I have ordered number 3 as a canvas as its my fav..number 1 I can see how those bluebells are distracting...never noticed them until they were pointed out :) . 2: I have edited again and again..I think I need to leave it alone now haha

just did a quick edit on 1 to remove the bluebells, added another edit of number 2 and a 4th image which I only finished the other day when I had some spare time.

Last edited:
Lovely images (y)

Have had a look, at number 4, on Flickr. Whites of the eyes look very strange. o_O

Love #3 but #4 look like you've rubbed out the features on her face, eyebrows, stray hairs, forehead.. looks a bit alien.

Noted on 4 :) there was a tree in front of her and branches covering parts of her face which I had a go at cloning out...guess I need more practice haha

2, 3 and 4 are adorable.
First one is really great too but as has been said its more aimed at an older subject.

Thanks, but as I said before it wasn't posed :) none of them are.

Back