Frome Sunrise

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Spending some time during lockdown going through old photos and editing some of them.

This was taken almost 2 years ago - I went with a different image from the shoot originally but having time to go back through them I much prefer this one.

This was the very first image I took when I arrived - I like the tones much more than the shot I originally went with + the river is tidal and this earlier shot had a much cleaner bank line as the river was higher.

Always worth going through old photos I suppose - I think that quickly editing photos after they are taken can make me a bit blind to problems / missing gems sometimes :)

A New Day by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

That is rather fetching. Lovely colours, light and the atmospheric feeling from the mist really make it something special :)

Lovely. Really nice soft light.

I just can't get my head around how people can shoot sunrise & then upload the images at 8:30am. I can't do that, I usually sit on images for quite a while. My last two Flickr uploads were taken in 2020 :ROFLMAO:

Fully understand what you are saying Lee - I actually have more unpublished photos on Flickr than public ones. Some have been work in progress for a few years and most will never see the light of day as I just can’t come to love them even with the passing of time :)

I also am starting to think that I should leave at least a few days between taking and then even looking at the images on a computer. There always seems to be a dissapointment that the 2D image cannot live up to my fresh memory of the day. Hopefully a bit of time would help me have a different perspective?

I have found myself finding old images that I overlooked and enjoying the process of reviewing them. And at the end of the day I don’t have anything else to do with my weekends :(

Very nice Dave, particularly like the jaunty angle of the left hand boat - seems to add something you don't usually see in these kind of river shots. Great work.

Very nice Dave, particularly like the jaunty angle of the left hand boat - seems to add something you don't usually see in these kind of river shots. Great work.

Thanks Andy - the angle of the boat changes as the river level rises and falls (it is tidal) :) Last time I was there that boat had gone - in my mind it makes the shot so if it hasn't returned the location is not as appealing now :(

We were due to go to Dorset in May 2020 but had to move the trip to November and then again to May 2021 - so not been back to check if the boat has returned???

Dave.

Reactions: ASP
There is something about mist over still water with a pinkish dawn light. Not quite the same but about a mile from where I live and about 300 feet lower down the valley and at the moment, with snow on the ground, around about 9am the sun strikes through the woodland and the stream in the valley is invisible with a swathe of white mist about 2 feet above the water. The water strikes up a movement in the still air and pushes/pulls the mist along with it.
Sadly I have never been able to capture the view I have in mind because the sun is not out when I walk there or there is no mist to just finish off the scene. I do like this and would be very happy with it on my walls

I also am starting to think that I should leave at least a few days between taking and then even looking at the images on a computer. There always seems to be a dissapointment that the 2D image cannot live up to my fresh memory of the day. Hopefully a bit of time would help me have a different perspective?
Hi dave, iv found I can't even look at my photos (nothing in your class I'm afraid) for at least a day or 2, strange as I get really excited to make the photos and oddly nervous reviewing or editing them.

Fantastic image by the way.

Last edited:
Frome never looked so good- Nice shot Dave

I take, edit all of my shots of wildlife withing an hour or two of taking them

Les :)

Frome never looked so good- Nice shot Dave

I take, edit all of my shots of wildlife withing an hour or two of taking them

Thanks Les

I used to do the same with my wildlife shots Les. Not sure if there is a difference between landscapes and wildlife as I know I was rarely disappointed with my wildlife shots. I know I send more time editing the landscape photos though.

Last edited:
Thanks Les

I used to do the same with my wildlife shots Les. Not sure if there is a difference between landscapes and wildlife as I know I was rarely disappointed with my wildlife shots. I know I send more time editing the landscape photos though.

Oh a big difference for me Dave- Never seen a Landscape shoot off into the Reeds :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I do little PP on Wildlife shots maybe cropping as I have that option using a 61mp full frame camera ( Sony a7Riv) & a 600mm lens

Landscapes are different for me I love to play in Photoshop with levels etc

You live in Frome then buddy? ( I;n on the Levels just a 5min drive or so, from Taunton

Oh a big difference for me Dave- Never seen a Landscape shoot off into the Reeds :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I do little PP on Wildlife shots maybe cropping as I have that option using a 61mp full frame camera ( Sony a7Riv) & a 600mm lens

Landscapes are different for me I love to play in Photoshop with levels etc

You live in Frome then buddy? ( I;n on the Levels just a 5min drive or so, from Taunton

I would love to live close to Wareham Les :) The shot was taken during a holiday in Dorset back in 2019, well before all the virus lockdowns kicked off.

I loved wildlife photography but it was hard to make a day of it with my wife. I found that I had much better results sitting and waiting for wildlife to turn up. The wife gets bored easily and won't sit around :)

I was lucky enough to get a couple of shots in the RSPB calendar and still chance my hand at a bit of wildlife but with the Sony 100-400mm on my A6400. It does the job but is no substitute for my old Nikon D500 and 500 F4 :)

Dave.

Last edited:
Morning Dave, I shoot with 2 bodies Sony a7Riv with the Sony 200-600mm and The Sony a7Riii with the Sony 100-400mm and Sony 1.4x TC ( sometimes)

I'm lucky enough to live on the Somerset levels an idea base for Wildlife Photography - my Wife loves to come out with me taking her Binoculars and acting as a spotter from my pop up hide

Les - I did look at the 200-600 when I was after a longer lens but the 100-400 is just more versatile for me as I am 95% a landscape photographer now :) I did get the 1.4 TC as well - just in case ;)

Living very near the centre of Barnsley I do struggle at the moment to find good photography locations. I have restricted myself to only going places I can walk to - this has led to a couple of mega hikes out before sunrise, but I am done in for the rest of the day so have to limit that to the weekends.

Fingers crossed that we can get down to Dorset in May - its been 18 months now and I really need a change of location!

I have managed a few photos during the lockdowns - just not the huge vistas I normally enjoy.

All taken within walking distance from home.

Common Buzzard by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Amongst Giants by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Silence by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Fire and Ice by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Glow by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Spectres by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Last edited:
wow you seem to know your stuff Dave-

I have both lenses and shoot mostly wildlife as a quick glimpse at my Flickr account will show

I use the 100-400mm + 1.4TC for the larger dragonflies - butterflies etc- I cannot fault the A7riv and 200-600mm combo though

gets me images like this one- I have it hung on my office wall and have sold quite a few too :)

DSC07513 Oh this water IS cold by Les Moxon, on Flickr

100-400mm + 1.4TC

tmadrSr.jpg

and landscapes I use my Sigma 24mm f1,4 ART lens - seems to work :)

xtVdP93.jpg

PS now following you on Flickr :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Dave- appreciated mate- same to you

Love that reflection shot- very tidy indeed

Back