Frozen in time.....

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Have found that it is quite practical to take out 18-55mm setup and the tokina as they both use same lighting system. So got a mix of shots this morning with both setups..

We had a big freeze last night so the bucket of water had about 1/2 inch of ice on top. I found these 3 trapped in the ice (turned out to be 4) with only the middle one being still alive and yes I did save it after shooting.

1. Didn't see the little one until PP... lol would have got the tokina on it

IMG_0350
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_0359
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_0353
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_0360
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_0364
by bthomas124, on Flickr

All comments welcome and appreciated

:ty:

I like the first four shots Bryn, good composition with some great detail and the ice makes for a nice neutral background.(y)

George.

Great pictures Bryn but they make me feel sad.

Yeah I saved one the other 2 were gone so I gave them a burial. I was surprised that 1 was still alive as it was frozen to the ice. I warmed it with my breathe.

Poor little things. Glad you saved one.

Paul.

Anything you like about the shots? ;)

I like the first four shots Bryn, good composition with some great detail and the ice makes for a nice neutral background.(y)

George.

Many thanks George this time round I managed to get out with the ice being around.

I like the giving birth one best - I know it didn't really, but that's what it could be perceived as.

Light looks a bit bright, but then I'd expect that because of the surface being ice, but it doesn't detract.

Paul.

Some collembola can create their own anti-freeze, so they are well equipped to survive the frosts. Some of the podumorphic types can be seen in large numbers in heavy snow, so they have acquired the common name "snow fleas". Are you sure the other two were dead? They may just have been inactive due to the cold, or sleeping as they managed to get themselves trapped and didn't have anywhere to be in a hurry.

Speaking of which, I was surprised they did get caught it the ice. They are usually able to support themselves on the surface tension of the water, especially as their claws are hydrophobic.
I guess the ice must have come in very quickly! Very interesting find and nice selection of shots.

Having them frozen in place there should have given you plenty of time to attempt a stack and get them all in focus ;)

You missed the eye on the last one!

Light looks a bit bright, but then I'd expect that because of the surface being ice, but it doesn't detract.
I agree, I get this problem frequently with very damp leaves. i think the answer is to move the flash further back and angle the diffuser forward more. Having the light directly above hits the surface head on, so you can see the diffuser reflected back over large areas.

@TimmyG yep sure was a fast frost... i put the bigger on my finger for a little while no movement at all.

The other one was removed onto a leaf so may be alive but presumed dead. Lol

They were definately stuck though no movement until my breathe was melting the ice.

could have tried stacking but ice was free floating so was slowly rotating.

Back