Frozen

Name
Marie Hass
Edit My Images
Yes
We had a 0 deg F day and it was time to do a project I could not do until now.

It was time to play with bubbles.

I shot these with my closeup lens attached to my 70-200 2.8. No flash. Just sunlight.

I first had to master the "blow", which in between teeth chattering and frozen, wet gloves, was difficult to manage. As soon as one (accidentally) landed, I had to heft the camera, focus and shoot - before the bubbles froze up and became cloudy.

Also, one of the components, Dawn dish soap, is blue. Pretty soon my snow was mottled blue. Not...pretty.

Marie

IMG_2307 1.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

Thats some awesome creativeness going on, with some great results. I can imagine frozen they are incredibly fragile.

Very creative and damn awesome... looks great fun to do apart from the cold lol

Very good - worth getting frozen for me thinks.

The first shot looks even better when cropped in / blown up as the reflections / freezing up is enhanced [emoji3]

I can imagine frozen they are incredibly fragile.

Caleb, the bubbles are extremely fragile. the ones that formed crystals from the bottom up, as in #2, were more prone to collapse at the top.

Marie

Crazy idea… I like that!

The first is my pick… in every way!

The first shot looks even better when cropped

Hi, Andyred,

I hit the limits of cropping in #1. I did try a tighter crop, but was inducing some grain, so I jettisoned that idea. The bubbles are only about an 1" in size.

Marie

Very creative and damn awesome... looks great fun to do apart from the cold lol

Hey Tracie,

These were big fun to do. I think they would work best if I had a helper. Next time, you are welcome to join me!!!

Marie

Excellent (y)

Great idea, I love the first one :D

Stuart,

Thank you. This was a project i had set my heart on trying. The wait was excruciating.

We have had less than 4 days of close to 0 deg F this winter and only 2 with snow, as well.

Marie

Last edited:
I've never seen anything like this before, very creative.

I've never seen anything like this before, very creative.

Thanks, Billy. I saw a few pictures, but no "how-to's". The "how'd they do that?" is what spurred this exercise.

Marie

Superb idea. Love the details in the pattern. May have to put this on my ideas list.

Really creative. Love the second one. It would be a nice piece of stock art for use as a christmas card.

Back