Fruit bombing and a pullback

sunnyside_up

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
Bethy
Edit My Images
No
Just adding a few more to my portfolio, wanted to bag one of these shots for awhile now, had the time today to sort it.

Found a great tip for a milk substitute - 1 part white glue, 2 parts water, 1 part glycerin.

Three lights - one on the background, one either side, lowest power I could get away with.

Made a right mess, but I'm happy with what I got... about 40 shots, about 5 keepers.

Thanks for looking!

Blueberries and Milk by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

Strawberry and Cream by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

Strawberry and cream by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

Food-120.jpg Food-122.jpg

Great photos Bethy, I particularly like #1. Out of interest how did you trigger these?
I use a wireless SMDV shutter release... and hold my breath and hope I get the timing right! :)

Very nice Beth, and nice to see the pull back. When I saw them on flick I wondered what you used for the milk.! Knowing it wasn't actually milk. Lol
Funny to have to use fake milk for milk... because real milk doesn't look real enough. (wrap your head around that lol) :)

These are superb! Lovely lighting and beautifully frozen in time! Not you usual style of editing, but it works better with the theme..

Well done Beth!

Grest set of images Ma'am,:D and well worth your time & effort.(y)

George.

BIG apologies for my ignorance in not replying to your messages / comments earlier. Guilty as charged.

Really cool and some stunning shots. Love them! Cleaning afterwards probably not so much. :D
Thanks Dunc - it was fun to experiment the best way to do them, flash settings, equipment, best practices etc.. but the cleanup was rather YUK! There was glue milk everywhere, and not to mention a few stray fruits that went under the furniture that my dog is still finding. :)

These are superb! Lovely lighting and beautifully frozen in time! Not you usual style of editing, but it works better with the theme..

Well done Beth!

Thank you Jacques. :) It's a little different for me, yes, but trying to show my versatility. lol :)
Grest set of images Ma'am,:D and well worth your time & effort.(y)

George.
Ah cheers George. Much appreciated! :)

Absolute cracking shots and yes, I would say you got the timing spot on

Mess ot not, well worth it for those photos :clap:
Thanks Andy - surprisingly enough, it wasn't as hard as I thought to get the timing - I tried both with mirror lockup and not, had better success rate without mirror lockup. I found I was actually too late with using lockup, that fraction of a second made all the difference.

My goodness #2 would be sooo appealing, if I didn't know that was glue :D Fabulous Bethy, fabulous!
Haha, yea, maybe I shouldn't have said it was glue lol :) Thanks Naka.

Great photos and thank you for posting the pullbacks. It's always interesting to see home studio setups, as I'm yet to sort this out for my bunnies :)
Thanks Oksana. I like to share pullbacks when I can remember to take them... as I always appreciate seeing other people's. :)

Thanks again everyone... But I'm surprised you've not seen my mistake! It was done in editing... and it's driving me crazy everytime I look at it... (but I have fixed it on the (now) final version).

Love those...good enough to eat, but you description sort of puts me off!

Exuse mu ignorance, but what is a 'pullback' ?

Love those...good enough to eat, but you description sort of puts me off!

Exuse mu ignorance, but what is a 'pullback' ?

A pullback is a shot showing the set up of the lights and props, very useful to see how its all arranged.

Not sure why these have caught my attention again. Anyway, they're still fab, really clean & elegant. And impressive lighting for unmodified speedlights.

What's the bright spot behind the bum of the strawb in the second one? Looks like it might be cloning weirdness.

A random challenge.. I wonder whether it would be possible to get the whole spoon in shot and apparently tumbling through the air is if it had been hit? Perhaps perch it on something which collapses. Or dangle it on nylon?

Not sure why these have caught my attention again. Anyway, they're still fab, really clean & elegant. And impressive lighting for unmodified speedlights.

What's the bright spot behind the bum of the strawb in the second one? Looks like it might be cloning weirdness.

A random challenge.. I wonder whether it would be possible to get the whole spoon in shot and apparently tumbling through the air is if it had been hit? Perhaps perch it on something which collapses. Or dangle it on nylon?
Between the strawberry and the background? Yea - was wondering when someone going to see that lol! Not a cloning issue - I had to brush up the exposure a tad, and it was too feathered, didn't notice it at the time, only after I uploaded it to Flickr. I've just left it as it is, but the proper one will be on my website.

I'll pass on your challenge - you have no idea of the mess I made the first time! lol!

Great shots Beth.....loving the bright colours.

Thanks for showing your set up, and for explaining re the "milk". :)

Fantastic work, colours, timing and composition spot on.
Love 1, 2 and 3.
As an OCD, 4 and 5 freak me out!

Back