Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

Just had a nice lunch in a lovely pub and thought I'd like to try out my Samyang 12mm on my recently acquired XE-1. I bought the XE-1 to use as a dedicated body for this lens as it does take some setting up - that leaves my XE-2 free for Fuji lenses. I am very pleased with the lens - it seems that you leave the focus on infinity, set the aperture and hey presto, a lovely image

Titchfield%20Abbey_6_Crop_zpstexuhq65.jpg

This is Titchfield Abbey - at one time a religious house but then after Henry V111 had his way, it was sold off to Lord Wriothesley (pronounced risley) who converted it to a private dwelling.

Nice, just a pointer, read up on hyperfocal distances, you will find that setting the focus just before inifinity will result in a sharper image front to back, setting it at infinity will potentially cause close foreground objects to be OOF.

I see the X-E2 has disappeared completely from the fuji refurb store :(

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend screen protectors for the X-E2S please?

EDIT: Found some now.

Thanks,
AL

Last edited:

The retail price has risen to nearly £600 (with the 18-55) but most of the dealers are out of stock - I think it's the end of the line

There is/was a used one listed with a generic description at WEX at a reasonable price. I've gone out of my way to avoid that part of town when visiting clients in Norwich just in case it tempts me..

Here's a pic from the X-E1 using an inexpensive IR 720 filter on the Fuji-X 18mm f/2 lens. ISO 800, 1/30 sec, f2. Location is Meadowlark Gardens, Vienna, Virginia USA.

DSCF1766 (web).jpg

Just had my X-E2S delivered and am very pleased with it. One annoyance which has been mentioned before is that you can’t use the EVF to compose and shoot, and the LCD for menus and image review only. You have to go in to the menu each time you want to change the settings. To make things easier and quicker I've set mine to Eye Sensor and reassigned the Flash Mode (FN5) button to change the following settings as and when necessary. Pressing the button shows the current setting in the EVF then one press each time changes the setting. Might be useful for others.

AL

There is/was a used one listed with a generic description at WEX at a reasonable price. I've gone out of my way to avoid that part of town when visiting clients in Norwich just in case it tempts me..

Just bought a used one from WEX, as you say a generic description, but comes with a bit of warranty and the option to return.

Been using my X-E1 most of the time in preference to the X-T1, but it does struggle with some subjects especially in not so great light, hoping the mk2 will be a bit better in that respect

If I want to try some older lenses on an xe1, is there an adaptor that'll stop down an EF lens, or is the best option to buy an adaptor and some older lenses with an aperture ring (m42?)

Fancy trying a tilt or tilt-shift adaptor too, anything I should look out for?

A few photos from a Barley field near Chedworth.
All taken using an XE1 and 14mm Lens.
I have forced myself to use the 14mm to try to get more used to using a prime as the results can be really superb but i struggle with composition with it.

If I want to try some older lenses on an xe1, is there an adaptor that'll stop down an EF lens, or is the best option to buy an adaptor and some older lenses with an aperture ring (m42?)

Fancy trying a tilt or tilt-shift adaptor too, anything I should look out for?

Can get an ef adapter with blades but if I were you'd I'd go for manual aperture lenses. They are so cheap and nicer to use.

A few photos from a Barley field near Chedworth.
All taken using an XE1 and 14mm Lens.
I have forced myself to use the 14mm to try to get more used to using a prime as the results can be really superb but i struggle with composition with it.

Those are excellent imo.

#1 and #3 are my favorites. #1 I like the composition and the way the off-center tree balances with the off-center road. #3 is just way cool with the trees standing like little mushrooms on the horizon :)

Thanks to all for the kind comments. [emoji3]. The tree in no 1 is what caught my eye initially and a gentle breeze blowing across the field added to nice movement in the barley

Returned a used x-e2 I bought the other day (in excellent condition, but had been exposed to some sort of freshener or cleaning product that caused havoc with my asthma)
Now can't decide whether to buy a new one or not, always liked my x-e1 and carry it about a lot. Yesterday took the x-t1 out and on a very gloomy day did all I asked of it producing what I thought was decent results.
Is it really worth spending 400 quid with the combo I have or would the x-e2 do the job of both, still don't know so any thoughts ars very welcome please (tried my daughters xt-10 and its just too small for me)

Cheers
Rich

Last edited:
Returned a used x-e2 I bought the other day (in excellent condition, but had been exposed to some sort of freshener or cleaning product that caused havoc with my asthma)
Now can't decide whether to buy a new one or not, always liked my x-e1 and carry it about a lot. Yesterday took the x-t1 out and on a very gloomy day did all I asked of it producing what I thought was decent results.
Is it really worth spending 400 quid with the combo I have or would the x-e2 do the job of both, still don't know so any thoughts ars very welcome please (tried my daughters xt-10 and its just too small for me)

Cheers
Rich

Why would you replace an xt1 with a xe2 :confused:

Why would you replace an xt1 with a xe2 :confused:

Prefer the design from a user point of view especially the viewfinder position, lighter and smaller too

I feel the X-E2 is the best camera of the second gen Xtrans sensors. Internally the critical parts (sensor, processor, AF) are the same across X-E2, X-T1 and X-T10, after the firmware update it's also virtually the same camera. Yet the X-E2 is the cheapest, lightest and will depreciate the least over time, also has a flash built-in!

Apart from weather sealing, I honestly see no reason to buy a X-T1. If only 10-24 is weather sealed (17-40L with 5D2 was my weapon of choice).

I feel the X-E2 is the best camera of the second gen Xtrans sensors. Internally the critical parts (sensor, processor, AF) are the same across X-E2, X-T1 and X-T10, after the firmware update it's also virtually the same camera. Yet the X-E2 is the cheapest, lightest and will depreciate the least over time, also has a flash built-in!

Apart from weather sealing, I honestly see no reason to buy a X-T1. If only 10-24 is weather sealed (17-40L with 5D2 was my weapon of choice).

I find holding the X-T1 easier though.

Not quite. The XE2 is cheaper because its an older less featured model, of course it will depreciate less, its pretty much at the lowest "current model" cost level already, its like saying an XE1 will depreciate less... well duh.

Yes. Worse viewfinder, no weather sealing, less controls, no tilt LCD, smaller buffer, UHS1, magnesium top and bottom plates only.
Same sensor, same focussing, more compact and ergonomic design, fewer bling dials..

Yet still less features.
Nothing I miss. And I've seen several people on this forum and others "upgrade" to the -T1 and then come back to the -E2 after fw4.

I suspect you're on a hiding to nothing in this thread :D

Nothing I miss. And I've seen several people on this forum and others "upgrade" to the -T1 and then come back to the -E2 after fw4.

I suspect you're on a hiding to nothing in this thread :D

Sure, I fully understand that some don't need any of that but its there and those features add to the initial cost which is all I pointed out.

Think I will hang on and see if anywhere drops the price to clear the last of their X-E2 stock

Certainly won't be buying the S version, seems a lot extra for not much more featurewise and a slightly altered grip

Not quite. The XE2 is cheaper because its an older less featured model, of course it will depreciate less, its pretty much at the lowest "current model" cost level already, its like saying an XE1 will depreciate less... well duh.

Same sensor, same focussing, more compact and ergonomic design, fewer bling dials..

As said by Alastair, I feel the image quality is the main point of concern for cameras. X-E2 delivers exactly same as X-T1. Those extra features may be worth it for some professionals, but you can't deny the X-E2 provides adequate feature set for most people at an unbeatable price.

Everyone is different. I personally feel the extras on X-T1 isn't worth it. You obviously feels different, but please consider the point I was making before posting a counter-point that shows your misunderstanding: X-E1 to X-E2 is like X-pro1 to X-pro2, different image quality, similar physical features. X-E2 to X-T1 produces same image quality (thanks to same sensor, processor and AF combo) but physical features are different, caters to different preferences.

As said by Alastair, I feel the image quality is the main point of concern for cameras. X-E2 delivers exactly same as X-T1. Those extra features may be worth it for some professionals, but you can't deny the X-E2 provides adequate feature set for most people at an unbeatable price.

Everyone is different. I personally feel the extras on X-T1 isn't worth it. You obviously feels different, but please consider the point I was making before posting a counter-point that shows your misunderstanding: X-E1 to X-E2 is like X-pro1 to X-pro2, different image quality, similar physical features. X-E2 to X-T1 produces same image quality (thanks to same sensor, processor and AF combo) but physical features are different, caters to different preferences.

I don't think pros are the only people who require the extras the xt1 provides, far from it. Ime the xt1 is far from a pro camera, it's a fantastic camera to use but there is much better available. Perhaps not from fuji though.

You said it was virtually the same camera, I merely posted that it wasn't. It costs more because it has better features. There was no misunderstanding. I used the xe1 as a pricing reference of older/discontinued models (which the xe2 pretty much is but fuji are clearing the shelves) not from a performance pov.

If IQ was your ultimate objective you wouldn't buy a last gen fuji... as good as they are.

Last edited:
Has anyone actually bought the xe2s?

I was wondering that too. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense other than to prolong the life of the X-E2 chassis.

Haven't seen any in the Fuji Refurb site yet.

I see nothing wrong with Fujifilm cameras, their image quality are superb. Especially the second gen Xtrans sensor cameras.

I never said the image quality wasn't great, but Fuji doesn't offer ultimate IQ, it offers very good IQ in a great to use system. Don't get me wrong, Ive always loved Fuji but from a pure IQ pov Ive used better, cant have everything in one package though ime and Fuji makes up for it in lots of other positive ways.

Last edited:
Okay, if IQ was your ultimate goal you wouldn't buy a Fuji, is that better?
But not everyone appreciates the idiosyncrasies inherent when shooting Sigma Merrills, so Fuji is a very good compromise between IQ and usability.

Or were you planning on flying the Canikon flag in this thread? :D

Back