Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

Charlotte, very keen to know how this goes. Specific questions:

a) can you get infinity focus with the adapter?
b) how easy is it to focus those lenses with an EVF? (Note for others: older Pentax film cameras have stunningly good focus screens!)
c) can you do open-aperture metering (with automatic stop-down on taking the shot)?

I'm assuming the answers are (a) yes, (b) pretty good with focus peaking, or at least doable, and probably (c) no. The latter might make the proposition much less interesting to me; faffing around doing the focusing at open aperture, then closing it down to meter would be a pain... light gradually dawns... maybe with the EVF you wouldn't need to?

a) I've not tried yet, all my limited testing so far has been inside, so not much faraway stuff to try focusing on. Will report back though!
b) It's trickier in the EVF than on the LCD screen, as focus peaking on the X-E1 is only on the LCD screen (I think the X-E2 has it in the viewfinder too, but I might be wrong). However, it's certainly not impossible - the digital viewfinder is weird, coming from a film background, and it's not as gorgeous and large as my ME Super's viewfinder. For pin-sharp focus, I'd use the LCD and focus peaking, though. It's not bad though, and certainly useable.
c) Yes! This is the most fun thing, it's like stopped-down metering all the time. Open the aperture blades and the picture gets lighter. DOF isn't reflected until you take the shot.

a) I've not tried yet, all my limited testing so far has been inside, so not much faraway stuff to try focusing on. Will report back though!
b) It's trickier in the EVF than on the LCD screen, as focus peaking on the X-E1 is only on the LCD screen (I think the X-E2 has it in the viewfinder too, but I might be wrong). However, it's certainly not impossible - the digital viewfinder is weird, coming from a film background, and it's not as gorgeous and large as my ME Super's viewfinder. For pin-sharp focus, I'd use the LCD and focus peaking, though. It's not bad though, and certainly useable.
c) Yes! This is the most fun thing, it's like stopped-down metering all the time. Open the aperture blades and the picture gets lighter. DOF isn't reflected until you take the shot.

In answer to a) the answer should be yes, I can get infinity focussing using K&F Concept PK-FX adapter and Pentax lenses.

The key here is that the Fuji sensor is actually quite close to the mount, and much closer than a SLR would be as there is no mirror, so an adapter is only placing the legacy (Pentax) lens in the correct position as if it was an SLR, This will produce a full size 35mm Image Circle which is more than good enough for an APS-C sensor, and in fact any optical distortion towards the edge of an image (again potential legacy lens issue) will not been noticable as its outside an APS-C sensor.

The X-E1 Rear screen is low resolution and low update compared with later X series cameras so focussing will more of a challenge

Thanks Charlotte. I was with you until the very last sentence though. If the lens is set at the appropriate aperture, then the viewfinder must surely be showing the final depth of field? It can't really do anything else, that's all it's got available... Maybe the cause of your comment is the low res screen that @Mr Perceptive mentioned, not clearly showing the DOF?

Thanks Charlotte. I was with you until the very last sentence though. If the lens is set at the appropriate aperture, then the viewfinder must surely be showing the final depth of field? It can't really do anything else, that's all it's got available... Maybe the cause of your comment is the low res screen that @Mr Perceptive mentioned, not clearly showing the DOF?

I'll try updating the firmware as mentioned below, but it was hard to see. Let me check and get back to you - the update might make all the difference.

Booked my X-E2 in with the Fuji Service Centre yesterday morning to get the sticky shutter button fixed - seems to be an uncommon fault, found a few reports online and expect the top plate will need to be replaced. Took the fixed price quote the offered and added a tenner for the Express turnaround. Posted yesterday with guaranteed before 1pm delivery today.

Checked the Track Repair status around 11am this morning and it's already showing "Your product is being returned to you".

This is either going to be the best ever service response (received, fixed, serviced and back into the post within a couple of hours - and with a new 12 month warranty), the worst service experience (returned unrepaired) or their system is borked. It does seem odd that within seconds of you submitting the service request you get the email with the fixed price repair quote, they can't be reading (unless it's heuristic) the fault descriptions before accepting the repairs and quoting.

Booked my X-E2 in with the Fuji Service Centre yesterday morning to get the sticky shutter button fixed - seems to be an uncommon fault, found a few reports online and expect the top plate will need to be replaced. Took the fixed price quote the offered and added a tenner for the Express turnaround. Posted yesterday with guaranteed before 1pm delivery today.

Checked the Track Repair status around 11am this morning and it's already showing "Your product is being returned to you".

This is either going to be the best ever service response (received, fixed, serviced and back into the post within a couple of hours - and with a new 12 month warranty), the worst service experience (returned unrepaired) or their system is borked. It does seem odd that within seconds of you submitting the service request you get the email with the fixed price repair quote, they can't be reading (unless it's heuristic) the fault descriptions before accepting the repairs and quoting.

I sent my wife's X-M1 in for repair after the shutter would no longer fire, and paid extra for express service. Whole process took three days in total (including the two postal days) if I remember correctly, camera came back with new internals and a one year warranty. Hasn't missed a beat since (and gets used a lot!). Fixed price repair was around £100 iirc.

Fuji's repair service is excellent.

I'm hoping I just got a quiet day and they were straight on the case. If they can get the camera back on Monday that would be a turn up for the books and I'd be able to squeeze in a small job I thought I was going to have to put off for a couple of weeks.

I'm hoping I just got a quiet day and they were straight on the case. If they can get the camera back on Monday that would be a turn up for the books and I'd be able to squeeze in a small job I thought I was going to have to put off for a couple of weeks.

You might even get it back today :)

First shots with the new X-E1 and the Pentax K 50mm 1.7 lens. Coming out a little soft, but I'm going to try updating the hardware now and see if I can get red focus peaking - that might make it a little easier. Rendering quite nicely, I think - test shot, obviously the cat :)

Gunter by Charlotte Davis, on Flickr

Back today :D

Still too cold from the van to test, I'll let it warm up a bit first. Shutter feels a lot better, described as "casing" repair but it looks like the original top plate - unless they carefully replicated the scratches from the L-plate and re-positioned the black electrical tape over the front logo.

Can't fault the speed of turnaround. They've used UKMail for the return, which meant a text and email notification of the 1-hr delivery window came through first thing this morning (and it was accurate).

Back today :D

Still too cold from the van to test, I'll let it warm up a bit first. Shutter feels a lot better, described as "casing" repair but it looks like the original top plate - unless they carefully replicated the scratches from the L-plate and re-positioned the black electrical tape over the front logo.

Can't fault the speed of turnaround. They've used UKMail for the return, which meant a text and email notification of the 1-hr delivery window came through first thing this morning (and it was accurate).
How much was it Alastair, are Fuji reasnoable price wise, they certainly seem to be time wise. PM me if you prefer to keep it private, or simply ignore me of course :)

How much was it Alastair, are Fuji reasnoable price wise, they certainly seem to be time wise. PM me if you prefer to keep it private, or simply ignore me of course :)
£125 including the express service, return postage and a fresh 12 month warranty. Take a tenner off for the standard turnaround.

If you go to the Fuji Service pages of their website, you enter your model details, serial number and a description of the fault and they give you a fixed price quote. It indicated that the price was fixed for the model, so I'd expect any repair to an X-E2 to be the same price. You accept the quote (or not), they authorise it and you download a label (to put on the package) and job sheet (to put in the box). You need to add outward postage of your choice, RM Next Day 1pm with £500 insurance was under a tenner (using the original refurb box, which was returned with the camera).

Worth it for me at that price, given that this body was a £270 refurb I'm still quids in vs. a new body.

First shots with the new X-E1 and the Pentax K 50mm 1.7 lens. Coming out a little soft, but I'm going to try updating the hardware now and see if I can get red focus peaking - that might make it a little easier. Rendering quite nicely, I think - test shot, obviously the cat :)

Gunter by Charlotte Davis, on Flickr

Hmm yes that is quite soft, isn't it. Looks like quite a wide aperture from the narrow depth of field there. Do you remember what it was? Nothing on the EXIF, obviously!

Hmm yes that is quite soft, isn't it. Looks like quite a wide aperture from the narrow depth of field there. Do you remember what it was? Nothing on the EXIF, obviously!

As I am wont to do, I think it was wide open. More tests to follow this weekend, outside even!

Follow-up tip when using Fuji Service for repairs..

Save your camera settings to a memory card before you remove the battery to post it off. It saves the head-scratching and WTF moments as you try and get the options back to the finely honed custom set-up you've developed over the last couple of years.. :D

Follow-up tip when using Fuji Service for repairs..

Save your camera settings to a memory card before you remove the battery to post it off. It saves the head-scratching and WTF moments as you try and get the options back to the finely honed custom set-up you've developed over the last couple of years.. :D

D'oh :(

A few from last weekend with a never complaining model :D

Both X-E2 & 56/1.2

Out wandering today with the X-E2 and XC 16-50mm, lovely weather again and took a fair few photos.

This is a rather unremarkable one of the local water mill at Houghton on the Great Ouse, Made a bit more interesting by the small grey blob you can hopefully see in the water about a third of the way up from the bottom

Mill.jpg

That blob is in fact a Seal, must be a good fifty plus miles from the sea and separated by numerous locks,weirs and sluices (apologies for the poor quality from the heavy crop)

Seal 2.jpg

Last edited:
D'oh :(

A few from last weekend with a never complaining model :D

Both X-E2 & 56/1.2

Cracking images has to be one of my favourite all time cars I owned a number of them over the years :)

I still haven't received my X-T10 yet, ordered on Black Friday from ffords.

Was it out of stock? Must be a reasonable explanation for you to have waited that long.

Bought a lens from then Monday and it arrived next day, admittedly that was the postal service I paid for.

Was it out of stock? Must be a reasonable explanation for you to have waited that long.

Bought a lens from then Monday and it arrived next day, admittedly that was the postal service I paid for.

It wasn't showing out of stock as far as I'm aware. That's the reason I ordered from them, jessops and currys didn't have stock and wouldn't let you order, I'm now guessing ffords are different and take back orders...

It wasn't showing out of stock as far as I'm aware. That's the reason I ordered from them, jessops and currys didn't have stock and wouldn't let you order, I'm now guessing ffords are different and take back orders...

Have you spoken to them and asked about the delay?

Have you spoken to them and asked about the delay?

Yes, they don't have any answers from Fuji, so they can't tell me anything... apparently Fuji don't know when they are coming into the county, so ffords don't either... I've emailed again this morning. Not really ffords fault as such, but I would have definitely ordered from somewhere else knowing this, also, I have to keep with the order as it's the double discount...

Jordan

Back