Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

Bloody hell!

Thanks David, once I put the 90mm on the X-E2 body for him he shot only wide open (obviously a disciple of the @minnnt school!!!), nailing the focus on about 90% of his shots, the little.......

That's one talented 16yo!

Thanks, he is showing a real interest in stills photography, very different from his college course which is a lot of film and animation!

In the garden with the X-E2 and the Samyang 85/1.4..

I believe this is the tree bumble bee, Bombus hypnorum. They've established a nest inside the nest box.

Thread revival again, does this cloud look like a dog to you?

Cloud 1.JPG

I spotted a couple more refurbs in stock.

A question for X-E2 owners who upgraded to firmware 4. Did you notice a massive improvement or were you quite happy with it as it was previously?

I've just bought an X-E2 rather than a later model - one of the reasons was that it would save me a lot of money buying a new version of Lightroom. However, this has version 4.01 firmware and Lightroom doesn't recognise the RAW files!

I'm thinking about reverting to the old firmware but don't know if it is possible.

A question for X-E2 owners who upgraded to firmware 4. Did you notice a massive improvement or were you quite happy with it as it was previously?

I've just bought an X-E2 rather than a later model - one of the reasons was that it would save me a lot of money buying a new version of Lightroom. However, this has version 4.01 firmware and Lightroom doesn't recognise the RAW files!

I'm thinking about reverting to the old firmware but don't know if it is possible.

V4 makes it virtually an X-T1 in a different body, well worth it IMO

Love mine use it practically all the time even though I have newer models
It's identical to the XT-10 feature wise apart from the Auto setting although the X-E2S has that. So similar that a the extended manual guidebook wasn't rewritten, just advised buy the T10 book instead.

Very surprised to hear a firmware upgrade would stop earlier versions of LR opening the raf files if it was ok previously.
What version of LR are you trying to use?

Last edited:
I had the previous firmware briefly, for about 6 months, before updating to the X-T1/10 level version 4. v4 felt much better in terms of AF, and the ability to use D pad as quick AF selector is what I always wanted. Image quality wise, I've not noticed any difference, but I don't pixel peep, so I can hardly tell difference between 5D2 and X-E2.

Strange you are having problems. Seems like firmware downgrade is possible with X100, might be do-able with X-E2.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3813526#forum-post-55471844

Very nice captures, the XF18mm is superb Fooji glass, I personally love that focal length.

Regards;
Pete

I find it the 18mm is superb for normal shots. I tend to use tje 18mm and the 35mm most of the time when traveling or on the street. I do use the 55-200 too if i want more reach. The 18 and 35 is mainly attach to the xe2s. I just carry the xt1 with 55-200 for a quick shot without changing lens.

Well, I don't know if I was dreaming or what, but the RAW files are showing up OK now!

Have also learned that once firmware has been updated it can't be changed back. From Fuji support:

"To revert the firmware back to a previous version, the camera will require a replacement circuit board."

Quick one from my old X-E1 and 27mm, went to see gig, but stuck this handy combo in my bag for a pre show wander.
Clouds gathering over London, seems about right given this was taken on Tuesday evening

Shard 1-1.JPG

I noticed a big improvement in focus speed and accuracy, and the electronic shutter is really useful.

Thread revival time again from one of my little jaunts

Photo is from a recent visit to an old RAF airfield in Bedfordshire
What also adds interest is this airfield, RAF Twinwood is where Capt Glenn Miller took off from on his last fateful flight.
There is a small museum here dedicated to Glenn Miller with many old photographs and some items of memorabilia
Very interesting as is the whole place, not easy to find, but well worth the effort. Volunteers there are very welcoming and an old style NAAFI to get a cuppa and cake. Some of the best preserved huts I have seen at this type of museum along with some nice vehicles too
Entrance fee is a very reasonable £4 per adult and worth every penny

This is the WRAF (Womens Royal Air Force) quarters.

Ringwood 1.jpg

Last edited:
Fuji Refurb shop has got some XE2 with 18 55 lenses in stock today Wednesday 12-07-17

Thinking of getting a printout done (A5 size) of the XE2 with V4 update, using the Fuji On line PDF
Has any one had this done....???
There seems to be a number of on line print shops that print manuals, and it gets better value if you have more than one done.

I have just ordered a printed Manual from the XE2 v4 PDF with Doxdirect.com 172 pages a5 as a landscape soft cover book on 100gsm paper (Black only) for £8.90 inc 1st class postage.
Should get it wed next week. I could have had it printed portrait for about £1 less but the illustrations are larger when printed landscape. It seems worth the cost to me. I could have printed it myself for not much more, but it would not be properly bound and finished.

I have just ordered a printed Manual from the XE2 v4 PDF with Doxdirect.com 172 pages a5 as a landscape soft cover book on 100gsm paper (Black only) for £8.90 inc 1st class postage.
Should get it wed next week. I could have had it printed portrait for about £1 less but the illustrations are larger when printed landscape. It seems worth the cost to me. I could have printed it myself for not much more, but it would not be properly bound and finished.
That sounds very reasonable - worth knowing too

Took out my new refurbished XE2 and 18-55 for the first time today
Tried 4 basic shot types. One pack shot wide open focussed on the 200mg ....a shot right into the light with spectral highlights,... a third, mostly in the shade but with dappled sun...And the third a two shot pan , again into the light..

All pretty dire as shots... but a good enough test outings. Pleased with the capability to recover highlights and shadows and the total lack of noise or fringing and over all image quality. but compared to my X30 pretty poor ergonomics. so will not become my walkabout camera
.View attachment 106303

I will down load the others later as it tells me they are too big... but they are the same as always.

TAXE0020Z2web2.jpg
View attachment 106309
TAXE0045Z2web2.jpg

Last edited:
Took out my new refurbished XE2 and 18-55 for the first time today
Tried 4 basic shot types. One pack shot wide open focussed on the 200mg ....a shot right into the light with spectral highlights,... a third, mostly in the shade but with dappled sun...And the third a two shot pan , again into the light..

All pretty dire as shots... but a good enough test outings. Pleased with the capability to recover highlights and shadows and the total lack of noise or fringing and over all image quality. but compared to my X30 pretty poor ergonomics. so will not become my walkabout camera

In my experience, Fuji RAWs are much better when the highlights are not off the end of the scale on the in-camera Histogram, Shadow recovery is much better than Highlight recovery

In my experience, Fuji RAWs are much better when the highlights are not off the end of the scale on the in-camera Histogram, Shadow recovery is much better than Highlight recovery

While the spectral highlights are of course many stops beyond recovery, the highlights on the children playing on the stepping stones all retain some detail. The light in that particular shot was even difficult to look into, as the reflection from the water was totally dazzling. I am amazed that I did not pick up internal lens reflections, which demonstrates something of the quality of the 18-55 lens. At the same time the strong blacks were well maintained with out the usual light degradation.

There is rather more tonality and detail in all of the shots when seen at normal size. These shots are compressed by the export for web process, in photoshop, and aways look over sharpened and lacking in subtle tones. In the pan all the cloud tones are retained in the original, even though they are very bright as illuminated by the sun.

In the pill box, I was pleased that all the subtlety of the brail dots was preserved in the side lighting. And also the subtle transition of the bokeh into the background shows no abrupt edging at all.

All in all the xe2 gave me raws that were exceedingly easy to work with, and a higher quality than I have had before from any other Aps sensors.

On the down side, I have had to take the bottom left fn button out of action, as I can't help pressing it. I have changed the red vidieo button to Face Detect as it is right next to the release button. It only takes a 2+ second press to change back if I need to. I have also changed a large majority of the Q settings to things that I will actually use.

I also find the viewfinder is not Ideal with my glasses (nowhere near as good as the X30 one for preventing light polution). Though I find that I can shade itsomewhat by changing my left hand grip.

Last edited:
Just ordered a refurb xe2 to play second fiddle to my xt20 so I'm joining the community. [emoji16]
I'm tempted too, to accompany my main. Do the refurbished discount codes still work on the refurbished site?

Back