Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

I think you need to try one. AF is very quick in decent light and it's OK in low light, better than the Sony a7 I had. Tracking is not great, no-where near DSLR performance.

I tested the X-E1 and 35/1.4 against the Olympus E-PL5 and 20/1.7 and they were basically the same AF wise in low light.

Surely focus performance has to be considered as a body+lens combination. The 20mm f1.7 is one of MFT's slower lenses and IMVHO shouldn't be taken as any sort of bench mark. When the manufacturers claim (as they all seem to do in turn...) that their latest camera+lens is the fastest focusing thing ever they are careful to state which body and lens combo it is.

Very true... So what lens is good on the XE 2 as want to try it again before I decide what I am going for... But loving OMD at the moment

Surely focus performance has to be considered as a body+lens combination. The 20mm f1.7 is one of MFT's slower lenses and IMVHO shouldn't be taken as any sort of bench mark. When the manufacturers claim (as they all seem to do in turn...) that their latest camera+lens is the fastest focusing thing ever they are careful to state which body and lens combo it is.

Yep. If you read further up you'd realise the OP is after a reasonably priced camera and lens combo for shooting kids indoors in low light. I picked a popular yet fast lens from each manufacturer to make it fair.

Yep. If you read further up you'd realise the OP is after a reasonably priced camera and lens combo for shooting kids indoors in low light. I picked a popular yet fast lens from each manufacturer to make it fair.

Maybe the 25mm f1.8 would be a better fit for AF performance. It seems noticeably faster on both my MFT bodies than the widely known to be rather sluggish 20mm f1.7.

No I don't do much shooting of moving thing to be honest maybe the little one just doing odd moves not fast move know what i mean...

Dslr is too heavy for me now and it never comes out with me so that whey I am wanting smaller system... dslr is out of the window just need to find something that will handle odd times that all.. Most of the time my shoots are stills

Maybe the 25mm f1.8 would be a better fit for AF performance. It seems noticeably faster on both my MFT bodies than the widely known to be rather sluggish 20mm f1.7.

Too long for kids. Maybe the 17/1.8 though. I actually find myself using the Fujinon 18/2 most of the time when indoors - this one works pretty well on the X-E2 indoors and can be had used for about £160.00.

Too long for kids. Maybe the 17/1.8 though. I actually find myself using the Fujinon 18/2 most of the time when indoors - this one works pretty well on the X-E2 indoors and can be had used for about £160.00.

This is obviously a matter of opinion but you do realise that the difference between 20mm and 25mm is leaning slightly forward or backward don't you? Add the 17mm to the mix and horror of horrors you may have to think about stepping forward how much? It's a pain I know...

Don't they make zooms these days?

This is obviously a matter of opinion but you do realise that the difference between 20mm and 25mm is leaning slightly forward or backward don't you? Add the 17mm to the mix and horror of horrors you may have to think about stepping forward how much? It's a pain I know...

Don't they make zooms these days?

40mm v 50mm is quite a difference when you're in a soft play room trying to grab a picture of a toddler flying down a slide, with kids all around you, trust me :)

40mm v 50mm is quite a difference when you're in a soft play room trying to grab a picture of a toddler flying down a slide, with kids all around you, trust me :)

The difference between 40 and 50mm should a lean forward or backward and in fact I've just tried it with my GX7+20mm and my G1+25mm and it looks about 1ft at most and possibly slightly less. Yes space could be an issue and if so I personally would be looking for a bigger difference than 40-50 (20-25.)

Last edited:
The difference between 40 and 50mm should a lean forward or backward and in fact I've just tried it with my GX7+20mm and my G1+25mm and it looks about 1ft at most and possibly slightly less. Yes space could be an issue and if so I personally would be looking for a bigger difference than 40-50 (20-25.)

In theory you might be right, but in practice I wouldn't want to be leaning back when taking photos in restricted spaces or with a subject coming towards me. You're already working with compromised shutter speeds so shooting in an awkward position is going to result in blurry photos...I know this through experience. If you're shooting something outside then maybe not so much of an issue.

In theory you might be right, but in practice I wouldn't want to be leaning back when taking photos in restricted spaces or with a subject coming towards me. You're already working with compromised shutter speeds so shooting in an awkward position is going to result in blurry photos...I know this through experience. If you're shooting something outside then maybe not so much of an issue.

No, in practice I'm right :D The difference between 20 and 25mm isn't IMVHO worth worrying about even without trying to equalise the field of view. 17 to 25 (FF 35 to 50 or push it a bit further to 28 to 50) is a bit more significant IMVHO. What maybe should be more of a concern between 20 and 25mm are things like focus speed (a win for the 25mm here,) packaging (a win for the 20mm if you want the most compact system) and more subjective things like handling and the look the lenses give. Personally I see little difference in the look these lenses give but there's also the psychological factor for me :D I just prefer 25mm's :D but I use the 20mm more :D

Last edited:
No, in practice I'm right :D The difference between 20 and 25mm isn't IMVHO worth worrying about even without trying to equalise the field of view.

Maybe it's not an issue for the things you shoot, but I'd prefer not to chop the feet off that cute baby sat down in the corner. Or lose part of the kid next to them's head when playing together. Obviously the 25mm focuses faster but that's no good if you can't fit the shot in.

Anyway, enough, I've bored myself now!

has lightroom got a profile for the xe-2? Im not sure if im missing an update. This is a perfectly legit purchased copy of LR 5.<whatever> Its got the 3 x100 profiles but thats it!

Price drop on refurbished X-E2 bodies and lots in stock.. £315 with discount, matching the drop in the X-Pro1.

I just sold a nikon D800, nikon 24-70 f2.8, nikon 70-200 f2.8 and SB900 and bought a XE-2 with the 18-55. I wanted to rediscover the freedom and fun of photography. I got too bogged down with obsessing over equipment and exceptional image quality then I realised around xmas time that I don't actually shoot for fun anymore. I wanted a capable camera that I could pick up and run out the door, spend more time shooting with and less time thinking. Looking forward to getting out there with it and having fun again. It feels quite liberating although it's going to take some getting used to.

Arguing with Woof Woof the other day reminded me that I don't use my 35/1.4 enough :( It's such a great lens but too long indoors for toddler shots sadly, so here's some V Tech Toot Toot cars instead :D

Processed with Really Nice Images - negative Kodak EKTACHCROME 100 (faded)

View attachment 31496

Negative Kodak Portra 160

View attachment 31499

That's what I meant the other day when I was saying the shots I was taking were not bright enough. This certainly is. What settings did you use?

I just sold a nikon D800, nikon 24-70 f2.8, nikon 70-200 f2.8 and SB900 and bought a XE-2 with the 18-55. I wanted to rediscover the freedom and fun of photography. I got too bogged down with obsessing over equipment and exceptional image quality then I realised around xmas time that I don't actually shoot for fun anymore. I wanted a capable camera that I could pick up and run out the door, spend more time shooting with and less time thinking. Looking forward to getting out there with it and having fun again. It feels quite liberating although it's going to take some getting used to.

Why do you think the obsession will end now? You will now just lust after the gorgeous fuji primes.....the 35mm, the the 23mm, the the 56.....

:p

Why do you think the obsession will end now? You will now just lust after the gorgeous fuji primes.....the 35mm, the the 23mm, the the 56.....

:p

Yes I already have my eye on the 56mm 1.2 for portraits. It's more the practicality of smaller, lighter kit that appealed than anything else. I will no doubt start to amass a few lenses but will spend time getting to know the new format first.

A couple from a walk around the Canterbury countryside, loved the texture of this barn :)

16464761649_3d01c9c8ea_c.jpg

16463355948_8f7714ae3a_c.jpg

Adam

Talking about the awesome XF 56mm lens, have any of youse tried the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 manual focus prime? A Fuji friend of mine bought this last year and his results attached to Fuji X bodies are really fabulous.
I've not tried it, but I loved the 70mm focal length on my Pentax DSLR, so a roughly equivalent focal length would be lovely on the Fuji. 85mm would fit the bill nicely!

Just spent all morning messing about indoors with my xe2 and 56mm and realised that for some unknown reason I had set the iso to 1000 hence the reason I was getting some pretty s***ty results in certain situations.

Now that's it's on auto iso things have improved dramatically. Lesson learned. Stop moaning about equipment and learn to realise you might have made an arse of something.

Arguing with Woof Woof the other day reminded me that I don't use my 35/1.4 enough :( It's such a great lens but too long indoors for toddler shots sadly, so here's some V Tech Toot Toot cars instead :D

Processed with Really Nice Images - negative Kodak EKTACHCROME 100 (faded)

View attachment 31496

Negative Kodak Portra 160

View attachment 31499

I have found the 50mm on a full frame to be a nuisance sometimes indoors as it loses it's intimacy. What focal length would you recommend without distorting the toddler playing naturally? The x-e2 on the refurb store looks tantalising good value!

Just spent all morning messing about indoors with my xe2 and 56mm and realised that for some unknown reason I had set the iso to 1000 hence the reason I was getting some pretty s***ty results in certain situations.

Now that's it's on auto iso things have improved dramatically. Lesson learned. Stop moaning about equipment and learn to realise you might have made an arse of something.

Many people (including me) put the ISO setting onto the Fn button. Ive done this on all my Fuji cameras X100, X-E1 and X-E2, makes them all the same to use and is easy to operate.

BTW Ive put the self timer onto Fn2 on the X-E2 as I do a fair bit of long exposure work.

Many people (including me) put the ISO setting onto the Fn button. Ive done this on all my Fuji cameras X100, X-E1 and X-E2, makes them all the same to use and is easy to operate.

BTW Ive put the self timer onto Fn2 on the X-E2 as I do a fair bit of long exposure work.
I run the FN buttons exactly the same way.

I have found the 50mm on a full frame to be a nuisance sometimes indoors as it loses it's intimacy. What focal length would you recommend without distorting the toddler playing naturally? The x-e2 on the refurb store looks tantalising good value!

I find the 18/2 is about right for toddlers playing (27mm on full frame). I don't notice any distortion for play shots, not sure about portraits though, the 35/1.4 shines for that purpose.

The 23/1.4 might be an option too for play shots.

I find 23mm on an APS-C sensor to be the most versatile single focal length. I don't have such a lens and so I use my X100S instead. I'd agree that the 35mm is better for tighter portraits and subject isolation.

Back