Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

I'm considering getting a wide angle for my X-E1. I'm looking at the Samyang 12mm, but I don't rule out the 8mm fisheye. I know that there is a big difference between both, but I'm really struggling with this decision [emoji14]
Does anyone have anything to say about either of the lenses?

X-E2 mixing it with the celebrities in the paddock.. ..

I'm considering getting a wide angle for my X-E1. I'm looking at the Samyang 12mm, but I don't rule out the 8mm fisheye. I know that there is a big difference between both, but I'm really struggling with this decision [emoji14]
Does anyone have anything to say about either of the lenses?

I have the fisheye which is a fun lens, also have the 14mm which is excellent. Will have minnnt's 12mm next weekend and so will be able to compare all 3!!!!

The fisheye is ok, but i thought it was a little gimmicky and felt the IQ wasn't quite there. The 12mm is the biz however.

I tried both the 8mm fisherman's friend and 12mm at the same time and preferred the latter, on the basis that fishes weird me out. Too much pp for an ordinary shot.

Thanks. I'm kind of leaning to the 12mm right now.

I have the fisheye which is a fun lens, also have the 14mm which is excellent. Will have minnnt's 12mm next weekend and so will be able to compare all 3!!!!
I'll kindly accept that comparison :p

Meanwhile, if someone has a spare Samy 12mm, maybe send me a message :p

I popped over to the RIAT yesterday - found a field not too far from the airfield. Tracking and focussing on the planes WAS a challenge with the x-e2 and 55-200 lens but I managed to get some decent shots.

RIAT 2015 : Vulcan & Red Arrows by Jeff, on Flickr

Amazing, the only thing missing is the sound, which must have been incredible. Saw XH558 the other weekend but only low and half a mile off as I misjudged the flight path. Great shot, Jeff.

to the guys with 18-55 and 35/1.4:
Do you ever find yourself reaching for the kit lens? I'm waiting for a 35 and presume that I will get rid of the zoom, however, on trips and vacations I might miss it. Would you part with it or do you find it useful not to switch primes all the time during a holiday. Thanks in advance.

to the guys with 18-55 and 35/1.4:
Do you ever find yourself reaching for the kit lens? I'm waiting for a 35 and presume that I will get rid of the zoom, however, on trips and vacations I might miss it. Would you part with it or do you find it useful not to switch primes all the time during a holiday. Thanks in advance.

For me it's the other way round,the 18-55 really is a very good lens. I 'only' find myself reaching for the 35mm when I want a wider aperture or will be working in very low light. I may be in a minority, but the 35mm is my least used lens (and often stays at home)

Similar issue for me, I have the 10-24 and also the 23mm so wondering whether or not to keep the 23.

I reckon it'll be useful for night time and indoor environments but is it worth keeping it for that alone?

What lenses do people suggest for this:

I am going to Asia for 3 weeks; China/HK/Borneo/Singapore.

My main interest is portraits, but obviously with this trip, it's landscape/travel doc...

I've just bought an X-E1, and 18mm.

Would 18-55mm be better than a 18mm + another prime ?

Main reason I bought the camera was to save weight/size for this trip.

Joe

Hmm, tough one as 18mm is neither here nor there (although fantastic for size and weight).

If you have space for only 1 lens, I'd plump for the 18-55. It only loses 1 stop of light and gives the zoom. If you can get both, keep the 18mm though as it's great for when you don't want a big lens hanging off your body.

the thing is that most of my "keeper" photos are portaits above 35mm on the kit lens. The way I see it - you can easily zoom with your feet or just crop to 55m, and if you don't used the 18-55 range, that good is the kit lens for? However, it will be nice if you need to get the bigger picture (literally) and your smartphone is not the only choice. I'll share my conclusions after I receive the 35.

Hmm, tough one as 18mm is neither here nor there (although fantastic for size and weight).

If you have space for only 1 lens, I'd plump for the 18-55. It only loses 1 stop of light and gives the zoom. If you can get both, keep the 18mm though as it's great for when you don't want a big lens hanging off your body.

Thanks, I'd say I have the room for 2 lenses when walking about. So I could take three lenses in total.

Mine would be 10-24, 23, 56 I think, 35 might be useful but it wouldn't be wide enough for darker stuff indoors whereas the 23 would.

All depends on budget too ;)

My three lens travel set up would be:

14, 23 and 55-200
+1, those are the three lenses I'd reach for first to provide a balanced but minimal kit. Much as I'd like to own the 56mm and/or 90mm, the 55-200mm is such a capable lens all in one package.

The 35mm is a fantastic lens, the quality of shot it produces is amazing, but despite spending three years shooting almost exclusively with a Sigma 30/1,4 on a 40D I just can't get the 35mm view to mesh with what I see on the x-series. Not compared to the 23mm. For me the 35mm is one of those lenses I can't bear to sell, even if I find myself never using it. Completely illogical.

I'm just working out a "road trip" kit for a trip I have planned, slightly easier than picking a kit for flying because I can have my day pack (retro 7) and a couple of alternatives in my support pack (11" Optech accessories pouch is perfect for Fuji-sized kit).

Day pack for driving days - X-E2 w/ XF14mm attached, XF55-200mm, DP2M (30mm)
Support pack - MD 35-70/3.5 plus adapter, XF23mm, chargers, etc.

Many thanks for the input.

I have a full Canon full frame set up so don't particularly want to throw too much money into the Fuji.

I've not found the need personally for a zoom on these sort of travels yet.

Is the 14mm considerably better than the 18?

Is the 14mm considerably better than the 18?

Define "better"..

The 14mm is sharper, the 18mm is more discrete.. they're different focal lengths so not directly comparable in any common sense application of the word "better", however as this is a photography forum I'm guessing that may not be relevant.. .. :D

Define "better"..

The 14mm is sharper, the 18mm is more discrete.. they're different focal lengths so not directly comparable in any common sense application of the word "better", however as this is a photography forum I'm guessing that may not be relevant.. .. :D
I would say the build quality is up a couple of notches, but I no longer have the 18 to do a direct comparison.

I would say the build quality is up a couple of notches, but I no longer have the 18 to do a direct comparison.

I sold my 18mm too, but I'd still question your build quality statement. They're both built as well as they need to be. The 18mm is a compact, lightweight lens that doesn't need a lot of heft because it's not making a lot of physical size/weight demands. The 14mm has more glass, plus the AF/MF clutch mechanism to support and plain old needs a bigger heavier shell to carry it all securely and hold all the bits where they need to be.

For 3 travel lens setup I would take 14mm, 18-55mm and 50-230mm. That covers just about all the bases (but I would want to squeeze in the 8mm Samyang Fisheye), most of the time the 18-55 would be on the camera. Another advantage of this configuration, is that all the lenses take the same filter size. The 50-230mm offers a weight saving over the 55-200mm as well.

Thanks again for the input.

By better, I mean is the IQ worth an extra £300 over the 18?

I haven't really needed that wide in the past, so I may go for the 18-55 and have a think about a fast prime for walking about in the evenings.

That said, I've not even used the camera yet, maybe that would be an idea!

Go out and use it before you spend a load of money :p

If you're in HK you could easily pick up a lens or two over there cheaper than you can over here.

Back