Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

I accept my photography skills aren't great I was just hoping to get more action shots with a higher success rate so any help would be gratefully received.

Have you got the body set to High Performance mode?

F2.8 is sweet on the Helios. The swirly bokeh is quite fun and really gets going at around f4.

I definately wouldn't be using it at f8 though. All that dof. Yuk.

:p

+1. But if you want to shoot a landscape pic with it...that's another matter lol

Does anyone use a thumb grip/rest on their X-E2? If yes, which one do you use? Any recommendations?

Erm, I use a thumb grip, it came with the camera I bought second hand, not sure what make/brand.

The thumb grip is different to my X100 thumb grip, but they both feel and function exactly the same. So I wouldn't worry about buying the wrong one.

The kids were probably 20m away and coming towards me.

Tbh until recently that's what I used to do but I thought using the AFC would give me better results but I'm not sure it is.

I guess I wanted to use all the facilities on the camera to give myself the best chance of getting shots I'm happy with.

I've just had Fuji confirm that the PDAF pixels only operate in the burst LO mode on the XE2 - doh!

As I understand it, the XE2 (and XT-10) is not "weather-proofed". I was going to ask how cautious folk are about using it in wetter conditions, but I think the real question I want to ask is the other way round: how far do people feel safe using the cameras in wetter conditions.

For comparison, I currently have a X10 and a range of film cameras. Encouraged by @DuncanDisorderly I've used my X10 in rain mixed with a bit of snow on Snowdon and other places, and my film cameras just about anywhere. I'm trying to work out whether the extra expense for an XT-1 over the XE-2 or XT-10 is worth it. I'm not deliberately going after wetter conditions, but they do seem to, sort of, just happen!

farm6.st
The ipad wont let copy and paste the whole address,im lying down chillin and cant be a----sd to put the mac on ,so exhausted from all the excitement today and future excitement ;)

Last edited:
Hi there, what is high performance mode?
Blue (maintenance) menu 2 under power management. It improves performance at the expense of battery life. Normally I leave it off, but for anything that needs AF-C I turn it on.

Blue (maintenance) menu 2 under power management. It improves performance at the expense of battery life. Normally I leave it off, but for anything that needs AF-C I turn it on.

Hi - I had it set to "off", never realised the option was there - could you tell me what performance it improves?

To give you an idea of what images I achieved here are some samples, am I being too harsh on myself (for the record I don't think so):

This chap was some 30m+ away from me and I've cropped quite a lot of the water out:

Surfs Up 2... by Gobind Rai, on Flickr

My lads were some 15m away and I cropped out a lot of the water and people:

Wipeout 2 by Gobind Rai, on Flickr

Hi - I had it set to "off", never realised the option was there - could you tell me what performance it improves?
The manual has full details, but the tl:dr summary is that autofocus speed is at it's best and the body wakes quicker after being switched off*.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that with HP mode OFF the processor runs at a speed balanced to optimise performance and battery life, whilst with HP mode ON the processor runs at maximum speed.

* with HP mode ON the camera doesn't switch off straight away when you turn the dial to off but first goes into a quick sleep mode for 20 minutes or so to enable a quicker start-up.

(and yes, it looks like you're being too hard on yourself)

The manual has full details, but the tl:dr summary is that autofocus speed is at it's best and the body wakes quicker after being switched off*.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that with HP mode OFF the processor runs at a speed balanced to optimise performance and battery life, whilst with HP mode ON the processor runs at maximum speed.

* with HP mode ON the camera doesn't switch off straight away when you turn the dial to off but first goes into a quick sleep mode for 20 minutes or so to enable a quicker start-up.

(and yes, it looks like you're being too hard on yourself)

Thanks Alastair - I'll try and remember HP mode for my next outing.

What I hate about the pics I've taken is how grainy they look on Flickr and it took a lot of shots to get those 2 images. If I didn't love the camera and the 35mm lens so much I might have given up a long time ago :D

I always leave it on, no idea what it does but who wouldn't like high performance? :p

Thanks Alastair - I'll try and remember HP mode for my next outing.

What I hate about the pics I've taken is how grainy they look on Flickr and it took a lot of shots to get those 2 images. If I didn't love the camera and the 35mm lens so much I might have given up a long time ago :D
How much are you cropping? and what quality of JPG are you saving as?

On an -E2 at ISO 640 any grainyness is likely to be user-introduced - over-cropped, over-processed, under-processed, etc.

How much are you cropping? and what quality of JPG are you saving as?

On an -E2 at ISO 640 any grainyness is likely to be user-introduced - over-cropped, over-processed, under-processed, etc.
On the first picture the man represents about 1/100th of the full image whereas the the lads in the 2nd image represent about 1/20th of the image.

I don't do a lot of post processing as I don't actually know how to LOL so cropping is about as far as I get.

The jpegs are saved in the F quality which I think is the highest.

I've never owned a lens with a longer reach than 200mm and it's good job Fuji don't do one as it will be very expensive but also probably won't sit well with the Xe2 body.

I guess I see so many awesome pictures that people take I want to be able to do the same with family shots.

Btw, what is panning assistance as I read somewhere the Fuji doesn't support it but I'd never heard of it.

You're over-cropping, either a longer lens or waders was required :)

.. maybe it's time to experiment with adapted lenses.. ;)

Does anyone use a thumb grip/rest on their X-E2? If yes, which one do you use? Any recommendations?
I shelled out for the Lensmate, and got stung for VAT, but it's superbly made and contoured just right.

Back