The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Lol.

Wonder how good the new AF is going to be? Doing a photoshoot last night it did struggle a bit. The 23 was ok but the 50-140 hunted a bit...

I imagine low light performance will be more noticeable than the tracking stuff that they've made a much bigger deal of. I've used what is apparently the best tracking system out there (Nikon D750) and you would still never use it for anything like motorsport or quick animals, and I can't imagine the X-T1 will match that system. Single point continuous is so much more efficient and accurate in pretty much every way. DPReview seem to be pushing tracking AF hard in their reviews, but it's still limited in real world use in my opinion.

P.S. Will X-T10 owners be welcome here?!

I imagine low light performance will be more noticeable than the tracking stuff that they've made a much bigger deal of. I've used what is apparently the best tracking system out there (Nikon D750) and you would still never use it for anything like motorsport or quick animals, and I can't imagine the X-T1 will match that system. Single point continuous is so much more efficient and accurate in pretty much every way. DPReview seem to be pushing tracking AF hard in their reviews, but it's still limited in real world use in my opinion.

P.S. Will X-T10 owners be welcome here?!

I agree some a lot of places really seem to be pushing,"what has the best tracking system out their" but 99% of what i take i just don't need,don't forget we used to live in an manual focus world,and their were lots of great photos taken in those times.
Dont get me wrong i am not against new tec advances in photography,and if i was still a pro "which i havnt been for many an year" i would be looking for anything that might give me the edge. :)

... thing is though, its not just the tracking that makes the D750 AF performance very good and class leading.

Anyway i cant wait to see what the new firmware does AF wise,but even if it wasn't coming out i have invested to much in Fuji to make any sudden changes.

I think all systems have their limitations,its just a matter of dealing with them :)

I keep considering a D750 but couldn't have the same setup for the same amount of money. Then I'd have to lug a (slightly) larger system around, and worry about things like calibrating lenses, faffing around with the menu etc. I just tend to get on really well with the XT1, I pick it, put a lens on and use it - generally don't faff around with many settings. I use it much more than I used to use my 7D.

Anyone know why the shutter might fail to release in continuous shooting mode? Focus priority is not on (and I ably demonstrated that!). Let down last night in a big way right at the crucial moment.

Anyone know why the shutter might fail to release in continuous shooting mode? Focus priority is not on (and I ably demonstrated that!). Let down last night in a big way right at the crucial moment.

Never happened to me as long as Focus Priority is off, I did have a few lock ups in CH mode where I had to reboot the camera not long after I first bought it, but it seemed to settle down after that. Did the camera completely lock up, or was it fine aside from not firing?

Just the shutter I think, AF may have been affected too but as we are only talking a few seconds it's hard to know. Something ALWAYS goes wrong whenever I try and photograph the gravity slate run on the Festiniog Railway, last time I broke my ankle!

I want to ask a favour, please....
I lost my eye cup yesterday. Just the ordinary standard one. Don't know where it is; somewhere in York. I can't get a quick replacement in time for a trip to Portugal leaving insanely early on Wednesday morning.
Just a very long shot, but some of you have replaced the standard eyecup with the new one. Can anyone lend me their old eyecup for a couple of weeks? It will need to be first class post on Monday to get here Tuesday at the leatest. Expenses etc will be covered.
Anyone?

I want to ask a favour, please....
I lost my eye cup yesterday. Just the ordinary standard one. Don't know where it is; somewhere in York. I can't get a quick replacement in time for a trip to Portugal leaving insanely early on Wednesday morning.
Just a very long shot, but some of you have replaced the standard eyecup with the new one. Can anyone lend me their old eyecup for a couple of weeks? It will need to be first class post on Monday to get here Tuesday at the leatest. Expenses etc will be covered.
Anyone?

PM me your address you can have my old one since I finally managed to get hold of the improved one.

Meike flash just arrived. First impressions are it's better built than I expected. Popped it on the X-e1 and fired a couple of quick shots bounced off the ceiling. Does what it's meant to, exposure looks good. Batteries I had were almost dead though, so they are now charging in the flash, which is a great feature.

Charging in the flash? Pretty smart!! :D

Keith, welcome aboard! Just got back from another photoshoot with a local family. Haven't checked the pics yet, but it deal with the three kids running around pretty well i think. Will get a few results up when PP'd. :)

So, a few select shots from yesterday. The sky was constantly changing and i managed to get catch some dramatic clouds which contrasted well with the girls dresses. Fuji colour is very impressive, but it's very easy to give the final picture a water colour effect in Lr. :eek:

All natural light, some had the use of a reflector. How do people use them without blinding the subject?

Elle
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Brooke

Jenson

Brooke

Jenson

Jenson

Brooke

At first he didn't want anything to do with me, but by the end of the shoot he was helping me out... Must be my charm. :D

Jenson

Quite a mix, i would say 50-50 for the keepers. I probably took more shots with the 50-140 but that was because i was rattling off 8 pics at a time of them running around.

Annoyingly, i feel that the 35mm would be a nice addition to my bag now, might opt for a new one from somewhere so that i can send it back if it's soft wide open.

Quite a mix, i would say 50-50 for the keepers. I probably took more shots with the 50-140 but that was because i was rattling off 8 pics at a time of them running around.

Annoyingly, i feel that the 35mm would be a nice addition to my bag now, might opt for a new one from somewhere so that i can send it back if it's soft wide open.

Nice set again David.

I feel you had a bad one when you bought the last one. I have had three of them and I have found them all to be excellent although not the quickest focussing, but fast enough for me (I found when I changed to the XP it made me slow down and consider my shots more). With the current cashback they can be had for £300 new from this country and hardly worth the price of going grey or SH.

I often went out with just the XPro/Xt and 35mm and found it a great small package when the misses didn't want to lug anything.:D

Last edited:
If for no other reason it's worth holding on for the firmware as it won't hurt used prices.

It's not going to bring a FF sensor though is it... :LOL:

Yes, i am trying my best to hold on. I read above that Capture One is better for RAF files, but i'll be damned if i'm spending £200 on it!!!!

I don't think that the images out of my Canon 6D are any better than those of an X-TRANS Fuji, yes it focuses faster and you can push it more in low light, but as a package, I'd still prefer the Fuji, there is just something nice about the handling on the Fuji's

I don't think that the images out of my Canon 6D are any better than those of an X-TRANS Fuji, yes it focuses faster and you can push it more in low light, but as a package, I'd still prefer the Fuji, there is just something nice about the handling on the Fuji's

I would agree, having came from a full frame canon I'm certainly not missing anything. But before I had full frame it's all I ever wanted.

Now I've been there and done that I can be happy with the fuji that ticks more boxes for me.

I think if I was shooting paid work, especially children I'd go back to an slr. But that would be work and not as much fun.

Back