The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

That's a great shot Colin, with good composition, exposure, colour, and nice and sharp.(y)

George.

Getting fed up with the WIFi connectivity to my iPhone. The XT-1 times out before I get a chance to connect. It used to work perfectly before the last FW update. I have some images to email....

Getting fed up with the WIFi connectivity to my iPhone. The XT-1 times out before I get a chance to connect. It used to work perfectly before the last FW update. I have some images to email....

I agree, it's a pain in the arse and doesn't allow much time.

If you're using an iphone I tend to find it's easier to open the app, open settings then just double tap the home screen to jump from one to the next.

I'm now in the X-T1 club, a chance visit to the Refurb shop, one promo code from HUKD and I'm £660 lighter! No idea what glass to add, not sure whether to go 23/56, or 23/50-140.

Now completely torn on where to go with this between my personal photography and my wedding business. The Fuji is really for fun but it's very tempting to flesh it out with some nice glass and give it a go at my next wedding.

The D750 / Sigma 35mm 1.4 is my workhorse, maybe the X-T1 with the 50-140 could do the ceremony and a few longer shots...?!

if they make a XT2 witha a full frame sensor, I will ditch my Nikon D750 without any hesitation

if they make a XT2 witha a full frame sensor, I will ditch my Nikon D750 without any hesitation
While one day thy may make a ff camera it will not be the XT2.
They have a long road to go before they start a ff set of lenses.
most of their users are well catered with an aps crop and the size and quality of their output is not far from what most ff cameras can manage . The biggest issue can be depth of field.

most of their users are well catered with an aps crop and the size and quality of their output is not far from what most ff cameras can manage . The biggest issue can be depth of field.

Some of the newer lens 16-55 40-150 & the 56mm AP have come in larger than expected,and 90mm is going to be larger,so some are saying maybe theses lens could go on an FF body ? :)

This is not in any way a contradiction Terry, just an interested question.

But does anyone know if some of the the current Fuji lens line up won't cover full frame? I'd be really interested to know.

George.

Some of the newer lens 16-55 40-150 & the 56mm AP have come in larger than expected,and 90mm is going to be larger,so some are saying maybe theses lens could go on an FF body ? :)

They might be larger but they do not cover FF
they would be larger still if the 16 55 and the 56 had OIS anti shake.
But they are all very large aperture very high quality lenses for their range.
To achieve the same spec in ff would make them as massive as NiCaN lenses.

For a lot of things the advice is to shoot RAW and at ISO100 but with the X-T1 shooting at ISO100 you can only get JPEG. Do you think this is something Fuji will change, or does it not make that much difference using ISO200?

For a lot of things the advice is to shoot RAW and at ISO100 but with the X-T1 shooting at ISO100 you can only get JPEG. Do you think this is something Fuji will change, or does it not make that much difference using ISO200?

This is not really just a fuji question.
This sensor has a native speed of ISO200, so that its ISO100 setting is only an interpolation from this,
so there is no un interpolated raw data to be had.
This is the same for many fuji and other makes where both the lowest and some of the highest settings are interpolated and processed.
In the light of this the ISO200 setting should result in the highest possible quality with this camera , if correctly processed.

Last edited:
This is not really just a fuji question.
This sensor has a native speed of ISO200, so that its ISO100 setting is only an interpolation from this,
so there is no un interpolated raw data to be had.
This is the same for many fuji and other makes where both the lowest and some of the highest settings are interpolated and processed.
In the light of this the ISO200 setting should result in the highest possible quality with this camera , if correctly processed.

Thanks Terry!

I'm now in the X-T1 club, a chance visit to the Refurb shop, one promo code from HUKD and I'm £660 lighter! No idea what glass to add, not sure whether to go 23/56, or 23/50-140.

Now completely torn on where to go with this between my personal photography and my wedding business. The Fuji is really for fun but it's very tempting to flesh it out with some nice glass and give it a go at my next wedding.

The D750 / Sigma 35mm 1.4 is my workhorse, maybe the X-T1 with the 50-140 could do the ceremony and a few longer shots...?!

Getting the X-T1 to focus on the happy couple walking down the isle or registry office in dark conditions isn't easy even with a high ISO particularly on overcast winter days with poor ambient light. It fairs moderately better in the summer. I know some wedding photographers use the X-Pro 1 and X-T1 but it's not as ideal for moving subjects. Great for people standing still though. It is a great camera but the AF still isn't up to the standard of Nikon and Canon. I've tried it for wedding photography but have reverted to the D810/D750 combination.

They might be larger but they do not cover FF
they would be larger still if the 16 55 and the 56 had OIS anti shake.
But they are all very large aperture very high quality lenses for their range.
To achieve the same spec in ff would make them as massive as NiCaN lenses.

I thought so,me not interested in FF i just can't carry around an heavy kit anymore :)

Getting the X-T1 to focus on the happy couple walking down the isle or registry office in dark conditions isn't easy even with a high ISO particularly on overcast winter days with poor ambient light. It fairs moderately better in the summer. I know some wedding photographers use the X-Pro 1 and X-T1 but it's not as ideal for moving subjects. Great for people standing still though. It is a great camera but the AF still isn't up to the standard of Nikon and Canon. I've tried it for wedding photography but have reverted to the D810/D750 combination.

Must agree. I've tried motor sport and wildlife and the success rate is poor. I've reverted to the 5D3 for "action" shots. As you say it's a great camera , but it isn't, and never will be, a replacement for a DSLR.

I tried a D800 and X-T1 combo for a few weddings in place of a D700 and found it wasn't really compatible to my approach which often involves reacting quickly to unexpected moments. Whilst there are many positive points and even advantages to using the X-T1, I felt it wasn't enough to warrant swapping out a D700 for.

That's not to say it's not possible to shoot weddings with an X-T1 as I know plenty people do.

To anyone thinking of trying it, I'd suggest just trying it out.

Must agree. I've tried motor sport and wildlife and the success rate is poor. I've reverted to the 5D3 for "action" shots. As you say it's a great camera , but it isn't, and never will be, a replacement for a DSLR.

I very briefly shot Motorsport quite happily with an X-E1 (see link below) so I hope/assume my X-T1 will be significantly better in pretty much every way (handling, AF, a bit of weather resistance), I'm certainly looking forward to trying it (and using it alongside the D750 for my next wedding)

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=43894860@N00&q=Fuji Motorsport

Collected a couple of parcels this morning...Fuji X-T1, 23mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, 55-200mm and a bunch of batteries, happy, happy days!

56mm 1.2 @ 1.2
Henry by Harry_S, on Flickr

56mm 1.2 @ 1.2

23mm 1.4 @ 1.4

So nice not to have to fiddle around with micro adjustment, and the AF did very well with a very active baby. The EVF is un-frickin-believable, things have come a long way since I took an X-E1 on my honeymoon a few years ago!

Anybody used the Nissin i40 in ttl mode shooting dance scenes yet? I'm keen to pull the trigger on getting one but this is mainly what I would want it for and i'm aware the power is a little less.

I've done a bit of a google but I can't find a definitive answer to this but does anybody know if the 1.4 TC will work on all X series lenses, in my case the 50-230mm? Would just give it that extra reach for some wildlife shots.

Cheers

Andy

I've done a bit of a google but I can't find a definitive answer to this but does anybody know if the 1.4 TC will work on all X series lenses, in my case the 50-230mm? Would just give it that extra reach for some wildlife shots.

Cheers

Andy

I won't be surprised if it has been designed to work only with the higher end lenes, ie the 50-140 and the 100-400.

I won't be surprised if it has been designed to work only with the higher end lenes, ie the 50-140 and the 100-400.

Much as I suspected. Looks like I will have to save up for the 100-400 instead.....:)

From the Fuji roadmap page... " The x1.4 teleconverter will be compatible with the following lenses: XF120mmF2.8 R Macro, XF50-140mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR, XF100-400mm" and the 100-400 is now apparently expected sometime next year (2016)...

I would have been but I can live with a 300mm EFL as a maximum. I was hoping that the 1.4 converter would work with the 55-200 but it would appear not to be compatible. :(

Does anyone know if more recent batches of the X-T1 have improved rear d pad buttons to make them more 'clicky'?

Have read online that this has been the case with an improved card door too to fix light leak issues. Any truth in this? If so is there a certain batch of serial numbers i should look for to ensure i'd be getting a recent version (i'd prob be buying from panamoz)?

Thanks

Does anyone know if more recent batches of the X-T1 have improved rear d pad buttons to make them more 'clicky'?

Have read online that this has been the case with an improved card door too to fix light leak issues. Any truth in this? If so is there a certain batch of serial numbers i should look for to ensure i'd be getting a recent version (i'd prob be buying from panamoz)?

Thanks

The very first batch suffered from this and Fuji fixed effected cameras. Anything new will be fine.

Looking forward to the 100-400, not sure what to make of the 16-55. I'm not sure I like the lack of OIS and need for a larger filter system to use it.

All with the 55-200, it's silly sharp, very impressed. I was also amazed by the Continous AF along with the CH setting, I'm not normally one to spray and pray but I was interested to see how it would go...I have sequences of 8+ shots of cars coming at me at speed, all in focus.

All with the 55-200, it's silly sharp, very impressed. I was also amazed by the Continous AF along with the CH setting, I'm not normally one to spray and pray but I was interested to see how it would go...I have sequences of 8+ shots of cars coming at me at speed, all in focus.

I love mine too, I'm taking it to the WRC to play.

Back