The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I've had mine a couple of days now and really like it but I keep opening the battery compartment to get to the SD card :)
It never stops.....

Love the Big People t shirt David. Amazing how he stereotypes everybody, but we aren't allowed to.....

I'd forgotten just how good the XT1 was after selling my first one. This is definitely a keeper ( sound familiar?) so much so that I have my X-Pro1 in the classifieds ( unashamed plug....)

Allan

Thanks Allan. I was gonna have a go at him about it but ya know... He was a big lad! :LOL:

I'm hoping that the IQ will go up with a few more XF lenses, i think the resolution that my older lenses can muster isn't quite good enough for the sensor.

Thanks Allan. I was gonna have a go at him about it but ya know... He was a big lad! :LOL:

I'm hoping that the IQ will go up with a few more XF lenses, i think the resolution that my older lenses can muster isn't quite good enough for the sensor.

I'd be really interested in what other people thought about the sharpenss of Fujis when compared to a FF DSLR.

I've had pretty much all fuji x cameras at some point and I've enjoyed using all of them. When I see people say that a certain X lens is sharper than the Canon or Nikon equivalent, I'm always a little :eek:

I mean, yes in great light and stopped down they're sharp, but wide open or in low light find all of them a bit soft.

Happy to be shouted down :D

I think the Fuji xf stuff is as sharp and in some cases renders better pics than some of my full frame Nikon stuff. For me the real weakness with Fuji X is the tracking ability of the cameras. In fact they are v poor but the system is vv young and this will get there soon.
Pity that the Xpro 2 looks as though it is still a little way off (2016). Damien Lovegrove is right though it is the xt2 that is the one we really need.

I think the Fuji xf stuff is as sharp and in some cases renders better pics than some of my full frame Nikon stuff. For me the real weakness with Fuji X is the tracking ability of the cameras. In fact they are v poor but the system is vv young and this will get there soon.
Pity that the Xpro 2 looks as though it is still a little way off (2016). Damien Lovegrove is right though it is the xt2 that is the one we really need.

Not just the AF tracking, but the Fuji flash system is underdeveloped. Whilst optically good Fuji have quite a bit of catching up to do to become 'the complete system'

Yes I have to agree. However I really enjoy using the Fuji x stuff and and as I normally use manual flash and continuous lighting I can live with this shortfall.

I'd be really interested in what other people thought about the sharpenss of Fujis when compared to a FF DSLR.

I was Nikon FF for a few years (D600 then D750), and Sony a7 /RX1 before my X-T1.

In terms of usability both the a7, RX1 and X-T1 have all had much more consistent AF for relatively still objects, contributing to a perception of better sharpness. My X-T1 has an uncanny ability to lock onto precisely what I want, I never felt that was the case with my FF DSLR unless using Live View, despite many hours tinkering with Micro Adjustment. I love that I don't need to worry about that with the Fuji.

What I do find interesting is that in terms of the 'feel' of images, Fuji X can often get amazingly close to FF, particularly in terms of the '3D pop'. i.e. the Fuji X 23mm 1.4 shouldn't by rights render similar to the FF 35mm 1.4 wide open, but it often does. Equivalence junkies will argue the APS-C 56mm 1.2 is like an 85mm 1.8 on FF, but there is no way the 85 on my old FF would separate subjects from backgrounds quite like the 56 does.

Overall my images feel sharper now than when I used FF DSLR, whether that was due to user error or poor calibration before, who knows, ultimately that doesn't matter because out of the box my Fuji (and every single lens) gives me sharp images straight out of the camera.

I don't miss FF, which I'm really surprised by. I do miss the Sony a mount Zeiss 135mm 1.8, I've never used a lens that comes as close to perfection as that and it's my favourite focal length, but overall the Fuji lens line up is pretty extraordinary in terms of how consistently exceptional they are.

Last edited:
When people say shortfall in the flash system, what are you wanting? Quicker Sync speeds? HSS? More support from 3rd parties such as Yongnuo etc?

I'm contemplating buying a couple of Yongnuo 560 iv flashes along with the 560 TX unit. Anyone use them? They will be for OCF indoor use or maybe a but if fill but if i'm shooting outdoors then i won't be shooting at an aperture that will enable the 1/180 sync speed. I usually shoot wide open hence wanting good lenses that are good wide open. I guess that's the short comings?

When people say shortfall in the flash system, what are you wanting? Quicker Sync speeds? HSS? More support from 3rd parties such as Yongnuo etc?

I'm contemplating buying a couple of Yongnuo 560 iv flashes along with the 560 TX unit. Anyone use them? They will be for OCF indoor use or maybe a but if fill but if i'm shooting outdoors then i won't be shooting at an aperture that will enable the 1/180 sync speed. I usually shoot wide open hence wanting good lenses that are good wide open. I guess that's the short comings?

I don't see a problem with Fuji's flash options really. Especially not for such a new system. The Nissin i40 is a step in the right direction and I'd be amazed if Yongnuo, Phottix and other third party providers don't follow up with something soon.

I have no problems with the flash system either. When I had my Canon 5DII I Invested in the Yongnuo 622 triggers (4 of) and the YN568 Flashes (3 of) which although they allowed full TTL off camera I was only using these so that I could adjust the power of off camera flashes from the camera.

Now that I've switched to Fuji I have 3 YN560mk3 and one YN560TX which (for me) does exactly the same as I used previously but with less batteries, less to carry and a much easier UI.

Haven't been looking at prices of Yongnuo recently but if the V3 flashes are cheaper you may want to consider them. The only advantage of the v4 as far as I'm aware is using a flash to control others, which the 560TX will be taking care of.

Thanks Colin. The 560 iv flashes are about £53 each and the controller is £30 on Amazon.

Just wondered why it gets mentioned alot about the flash system.

Thanks Steve. Took 3 of him and this was the one with the least cluttered background. I'm happy with the 'pop' in the shot.

Thanks Colin. The 560 iv flashes are about £53 each and the controller is £30 on Amazon.

Thanks Steve. Took 3 of him and this was the one with the least cluttered background. I'm happy with the 'pop' in the shot.
Yeah definitely it has that 'stand out from the background' look. Its amazing the results you can get from some of the old legacy lens's.

Another system worth looking at would be the Neewer/Godox TT850's which use Li-Ion batteries for a lot of pops and fast recycle. I toyed with changing to those when they first appeared but I already had a couple of Yongnuo's

Thanks. Will look into them too. Aiming to sort it this week.

Shame it doesn't sync like the x100 series of cameras. Guess I'll just have to buy one of those aswell... :D

Which is why I have the X100S :D But I'm still having real problems convincing myself that I don't need the XF-23mm :oops: :$

If I hadn't already invested in the Yongnuo's I probably would have went with them. Couple of advantages that the YN's have though are: controlling flash head zoom from camera and that they will fit in their carry cases without first having to unplug a receiver which you have to do with the Neewer/godox.

It's the same height and width as the bottom half of a flash, not quite as deep though. The neewer TX is certainly slimmer but it's also taller. No real change in handling either way. The YN only uses two batteries so not a significant weight.

View attachment 33731

A few reports of Lithium ion batteries in the Neewer/Godox expanding over time.... Hmm. Looks a simple to use system though. Probably easier than the YN's. But the YN's would work out at £85 for 1 flash and tx vs £111 for the Neewer. I guess that because i don't do it alot, the YN's would be best for me.

What bags are people using? I quite like the look of the Fuji X bag.

Aparently new models are supposed to have revised batteries in them to try and stop the swelling issue.

Nonetheless i have ordered the YN's. £83 all in for a 560 iv and the 560tx. I did have two flashes previously but rarely used both so will see how i get on with a single unit. Of i find i need another i will just add one as and when. I prefer the look of the trigger on the 860's but it was £25 extra. I could always buy a 603 ii trigger of i felt the need to if the tx gets in the way.

Also picked up the Fuji X bag for £40 which looks nice.

Ok, 1st foray into this thread so forgive me for not reading the preceding 3,000+ posts

Popped into Jessops today and had a little play with the X-T1 and instantly fell in love with the thing. Problem is, I've just had a look at the cashback offer and it ends Tuesday! I was hoping to be able to sell all my Sony gear before purchasing the Fuji. :(

On another note, What are peoples' experiences (if any) of the Fuji 16-55 f2.8? Again, apologies if this has already been covered in the thread.

2 more from yesterday :)

The Sax Machine
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Explaining
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Both with the old pretty crappy Pentacon 50mm f1.8. Bother were shot at f2.8 as it's soft wide open.

Last few sets of street images I have really enjoyed looking through. Looks like they are shot in Nottingham? I may well have seen you out and about shooting street, whilst doing the same with my pro1 :) I am teetering on the edge of trading the pro1 for the xt1 :)

Hi Anthony. Indeed it was. If you fancy a go with one then just drop me a message and we can sort something i'm sure. :) These were all from yesterday so if you were around then then you may have seen me looking a little lost just wandering around. :D

Ok, 1st foray into this thread so forgive me for not reading the preceding 3,000+ posts

Popped into Jessops today and had a little play with the X-T1 and instantly fell in love with the thing. Problem is, I've just had a look at the cashback offer and it ends Tuesday! I was hoping to be able to sell all my Sony gear before purchasing the Fuji. :(

Don't rush, plenty of ways of getting a cheap(er) X-T1. I would seriously consider the Fuji Refurb store, if they don't have any right now you can sign up to an email alert, they come in quite frequently. The PAYPAL12 discount code knocks a further 10% off.

Don't rush for the cashback. There will be another offering as soon as (or within a few days) of the current one expiring. It looks the USA is going to get another X-T1 cashback offer starting 1/4 so I expect that we will get one in Europe as well.

Ok, thanks

Don't rush, plenty of ways of getting a cheap(er) X-T1. I would seriously consider the Fuji Refurb store, if they don't have any right now you can sign up to an email alert, they come in quite frequently. The PAYPAL12 discount code knocks a further 10% off.

I'm going to be honest and say that I'm not particularly keen on the refurb route. It's probably just me but I really do like getting these sorts of things brand new knowing that I'm the first person to own them.

On another note, What are peoples' experiences (if any) of the Fuji 16-55 f2.8? Again, apologies if this has already been covered in the thread.

Just dug further into this and it appears to be quite a heavy lump, which would sort of negate the whole point of me downsizing from DSLR to CSC, especially given that I rarely use f2.8

So that leads me onto the 18-55 f2.8-4 kit lens. Must admit that it felt very well built when I played with it in Jessops and the review I read rated it very highly. I'm sure it's been talked about a few times i thi0s thread but would appreciate it if anyone could give me a real world appraisal of it.

It would sort of feel like going back to square one if I was to get it with the kit lens but, on the plus side, I have a hell of a lot more knowledge than I did the first time and, of course, it would save a fair wedge of cash. ;)

It's much higher regarded than the cheap Canon/Nikon 18-55 kit lenses, I've seen some outstanding photos from that sense. However I don't own one as I have the 18,35,56 to cover that.

Hi. I just joined TP tonight so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section.....I am very much a novice and still getting to grips with aperture and shutter speed and have a compact camera that I have only just started trying to get off 'auto'. I have wanted to develop photography as a hobby for a number of years but haven't and I have decided to do so this year. I was going to get a DSLR but have been very tempted by the X-T1 and know someone who has been blown away by the quality of his photos. I have an ISA due to expire next month so I could treat myself. My question here is as I am very much a novice will I be able to work with the X-T1 and develop my skills or would I be making a huge mistake......

Back