The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Think the ones I got were advertised as canon, but the transmitter and flashes are only single pin anyway.

Thanks. At the moment I am using my SB900 and SB700 (the last of my nikon products). I use them with a phottix wireless trigger but every time I need to change the flash setting I have to do it from the flash itself which can be quiet annoying

I believe the only difference is something to do with 'waking up' the system. I purchased the one from Amazon and it is listed for all makes.

Sue, welcome to the forum and the rather marvellous X-T1 thread. I think the Fuji system is pretty simple to use and one you can grow into as it grows. There are plenty of dials and knobs which may be off putting but it's not really any worse than a DSLR system would be. There are auto modes aswell. The benefit of the X-T1 setup (or the X-E2 setup for that matter) is the form factor. It is such a small and lightweight option that it (for me at least!) has put the fun back into photography. My camera is coming with me more which can only be a good thing and i haven't lost any real functionality or quality in the pics.

If you can get the opportunity to handle the system in a local camera shop then do so. It won't be for everyone and it is a lot of dosh to splash on a system that may not suit.

Have fun!

What bags are people using? I quite like the look of the Fuji X bag.

I have a Domke zf803 ruggedwear and Billingham Hadley Pro. I use the Domke a lot, it fits my Xt1 with 18-55, a 55-200( when I had it) and my ( now sold) x100s
It looks a bit empty now. I bought the Billy used and cheap but it still looks new. I use it as a storage bag rather than a carry bag. ( it has my a Nikon Stuff in it, well, most of it!)
Allan

Just dug further into this and it appears to be quite a heavy lump, which would sort of negate the whole point of me downsizing from DSLR to CSC, especially given that I rarely use f2.8

So that leads me onto the 18-55 f2.8-4 kit lens. Must admit that it felt very well built when I played with it in Jessops and the review I read rated it very highly. I'm sure it's been talked about a few times i thi0s thread but would appreciate it if anyone could give me a real world appraisal of it.

It would sort of feel like going back to square one if I was to get it with the kit lens but, on the plus side, I have a hell of a lot more knowledge than I did the first time and, of course, it would save a fair wedge of cash. ;)

Basically put, It's far superior to Nikon & Canon's tat. The XC 16-50 feels about as cheap and nasty as Canikon ones, but the optics are every bit as good as the 18-55 XF. My 18-55 is I believe the only one on the forum to have had to be repaired (OIS system failure), whilst that was going on I had the 16-50 to play with. If it wasn't for the aperture ring and OIS switches I'd have kept the 16-50.

Fed up of waiting (SSS-IV) by R. Alan Jones ~ www.quarryscapes.co.uk, on Flickr

Wheal Coates, St Agnes by R. Alan Jones ~ www.quarryscapes.co.uk, on Flickr

Twll Garrett by R. Alan Jones ~ www.quarryscapes.co.uk, on Flickr

I'm more than happy with the performance of both standard zooms!

Basically put, It's far superior to Nikon & Canon's tat. The XC 16-50 feels about as cheap and nasty as Canikon ones, but the optics are every bit as good as the 18-55 XF. My 18-55 is I believe the only one on the forum to have had to be repaired (OIS system failure), whilst that was going on I had the 16-50 to play with. If it wasn't for the aperture ring and OIS switches I'd have kept the 16-50.

Great set and specially no 3 for me :)

Great set and specially no 3 for me :)

I agree!

I have a Domke zf803 ruggedwear and Billingham Hadley Pro. I use the Domke a lot, it fits my Xt1 with 18-55, a 55-200( when I had it) and my ( now sold) x100s
It looks a bit empty now. I bought the Billy used and cheap but it still looks new. I use it as a storage bag rather than a carry bag. ( it has my a Nikon Stuff in it, well, most of it!)
Allan

Thanks Allan. If i don't like the Fuji bag that i have ordered then i will return it and look into the Domke. I don't want or need anything big.

I agree!

Thanks Allan. If i don't like the Fuji bag that i have ordered then i will return it and look into the Domke. I don't want or need anything big.

Some of the ThinkTank bags are ok.

If you're looking to splurge, the Billingham Hadley Small is lovely, as are the ONA bags.

Thanks Alan, lovely photos.

I've taken the plunge and ordered the X-T1 and 18-55, just need to sell soe stuff to recoup the funds.

Thanks Alan, lovely photos.

I've taken the plunge and ordered the X-T1 and 18-55, just need to sell soe stuff to recoup the funds.
Gone from considering to buying in just over 12 hours, a man of action :)

Hi. I just joined TP tonight so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section.....I am very much a novice and still getting to grips with aperture and shutter speed and have a compact camera that I have only just started trying to get off 'auto'. I have wanted to develop photography as a hobby for a number of years but haven't and I have decided to do so this year. I was going to get a DSLR but have been very tempted by the X-T1 and know someone who has been blown away by the quality of his photos. I have an ISA due to expire next month so I could treat myself. My question here is as I am very much a novice will I be able to work with the X-T1 and develop my skills or would I be making a huge mistake......

@Sue21

Hi Sue,

Welcome to TP.
I think you would be making the right choice in going for an X-T1, you will have all the manual controls you need to develop your skills but without having to lug around a DSLR and lenses. Compared to nearly every compact camera the image quality is stunning and you will find it is a long time before you outgrow the system.

Have fun

Andy

Just dug further into this and it appears to be quite a heavy lump, which would sort of negate the whole point of me downsizing from DSLR to CSC, especially given that I rarely use f2.8

So that leads me onto the 18-55 f2.8-4 kit lens. Must admit that it felt very well built when I played with it in Jessops and the review I read rated it very highly. I'm sure it's been talked about a few times i thi0s thread but would appreciate it if anyone could give me a real world appraisal of it.

It would sort of feel like going back to square one if I was to get it with the kit lens but, on the plus side, I have a hell of a lot more knowledge than I did the first time and, of course, it would save a fair wedge of cash. ;)

I have the 18-55mm f2.8-4 and to be honest I think it is brilliant, so much so that I have no intention of changing it for any of the primes. Its small, well made and pin sharp, spot on for my needs ie taking it up mountains.

16772163179_8a2c721d2e_o.jpg

Hi. I just joined TP tonight so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section.....I am very much a novice and still getting to grips with aperture and shutter speed and have a compact camera that I have only just started trying to get off 'auto'. I have wanted to develop photography as a hobby for a number of years but haven't and I have decided to do so this year. I was going to get a DSLR but have been very tempted by the X-T1 and know someone who has been blown away by the quality of his photos. I have an ISA due to expire next month so I could treat myself. My question here is as I am very much a novice will I be able to work with the X-T1 and develop my skills or would I be making a huge mistake......

The XT1 would be a great choice. Like most cameras it has auto, shutter priority, aperture priority and full manual mode. So you can learn at your own pace to move out of full auto.

It's a no brainer if a beginner can afford it. The real headache is for people like me who've used SLR/DSLRs for a long time and are considering XT1's for more serious work.

I have the 18-55mm f2.8-4 and to be honest I think it is brilliant, so much so that I have no intention of changing it for any of the primes. Its small, well made and pin sharp, spot on for my needs ie taking it up mountains.

16772163179_8a2c721d2e_o.jpg

100% Agree, I'm not really a zoom man, but with the quality of this little zoom I can't see why I would want to pay out a shed load more cash for prime replacements. Except in the case of the 56mm, that really is a bit special!

My first Fuji camera was the X-Pro 1 which came with the 18mm prime. When I got hold of the 18-55 I spent a day comparing them. I was far happier with the results from the zoom. Especially corner sharpness.

The 'kit' zoom is really good. The only reason I use any other lenses I own in its focal range are the 35mm for low light, or excessive bokeh and the 27mm for camera compactness. And I only pack those when I know I'm going to need them.

When I go out shooting I normally take 8mm, 14mm and 18-55mm (and sometimes take the 50-230mm), This is nice neat, compact equipment list and the fact that the 3 Fuji lenses in that selection all take the same filter size is a bonus!

The 50-230mm is the only other lens I have and I was very surprised at how good it was. I used it at the London Wetlands Centre a few weeks ago and I was very pleased with the results.
16085662604_70f1ce426d_o.jpg

Y
Quick question, is the 55-200 any good?
Yes, it is a very nice lens. Unfortunately I sold mine a few months ago, but will be looking for another. It balances very well on the XT1 and is nice and sharp at all focal lengths.
Looks and feels well made too.
Allan

Buy 2 lens £300 of at the moment 10-24mm as well :D

Looked at that but I bought the X-T1 & 18-55 as a package so does that one count as cashback on a lens or body? I think the £300 cashback only applies to 2 lenses.

Looked at that but I bought the X-T1 & 18-55 as a package so does that one count as cashback on a lens or body? I think the £300 cashback only applies to 2 lenses.

Yes,so if you say brought 10-24mm & 55-200mm you could apply for another £300 cashback :)

i believe it does, one of the sites i looked at (forget which, maybe cameraworld) said there was £200 cashback on the x-t1 bundle with 18-55

i believe it does, one of the sites i looked at (forget which, maybe cameraworld) said there was £200 cashback on the x-t1 bundle with 18-55

Ordered it through WEX and that only showed £100 cashback although the price works out a little cheaper than buying them separately and getting £100 back on each.

Ordered it through WEX and that only showed £100 cashback although the price works out a little cheaper than buying them separately and getting £100 back on each.

So i think at the moment,you could buy 2 more lens and get another £300,was just trying to temp you :D

Just looked on fuji website and it doesn't seem to say either way. Although it lists the xt1 (with 18-55) as an applicable product so I think it will just be the 1 cashback on it.

Adam and Andy..thanks very much for taking time to reply to my question about an X-T1 for a beginner...that was the answer that I was hoping for and I'm quite excited about having the decision confirmed..I'm going to purchase one next month :D

So, this must have lens. :thinking:

:p

Indeed, but I never said it was a must keep lens :oops: :$

It really is a great lens, but I had it for a year and took about 100 shots with it. I've also got the 50-230 which although not as good it's close enough for the odd time I'll use it.

The 50-230mm is brilliant if you don't mind the slower aperture and extending barrel :) All the Fuji lenses are excellent in my experience.

Thanks but I'd rather have the faster aperture and, with the cashback, the price difference would be negligible.

Ok, another question.

As I don't like only having 1 battery for a camera, does anyone have any experience of 3rd party batteries? The Fuji ones are the best part of £50 whiereas 3rd party ones seem to come in at around the £10 mark.

Back