The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Cool, thanks. I already have a 135 but fancied a fast 200mm + lens. Been looking at the Canon FD 200mm f4 which seems alot of lens for not a lot of money.

Anyone have any experience?

Not with the Canon, but testing my memory a little here:

I have had the a Vivitar 200mm f3.5? which was a Komine Version, serial number starts with 28. Excellent lens which I bought for £35.00. Pentacon 200mm f3.5 same as previous. Pentacon 300mm full of dust so didnt keep long. Also had a Vivitar 100-300mm, made by Tokina, for £18.00 an okay lens. Vivitar Series1 70-210 f2.8 an excellent lens and again a Komine, can't remember cost and finally a Tokina 100-300mm ATX f4 red ring version, super lens and as good as my Nikon 300mm f4, but as you know I have struggled with manual focussing, hence me changing back to the D750. The Vivitar zoom and Tokina ATX were both FD mount others were M42.

The Tokina 100-300mm ATX f4 was the best, which I bought cheap and excellent lens but you may struggle to find the bargain I had.

Some of the Tamron Adaptall lenses can be good and as you can get them in different mounts. They can be cheap like the 80-210mm f3.8. I also liked some of the Canon FD lenses and tried to stay with that mount and M42, to keep things simple and not to have too many adapters.

Have a look at this for Vivitar lenses > https://www.cameraquest.com/VivLensManuf.htm

Also have a look on Ffordes as they sometimes have new, but old stock Canon Fd lenses in > http://ffordes.com/category/Lenses/Canon/FD#&&PageIndex=1&SortDirection=Ascending&SortExpression=

I think some of the bargains I have had, have maybe gone, as the prices seem to have gone up over the last year as mirrorless has become more popular. I started buying when I had the XE-1 a few years ago.

Last edited:
Not that there are many Motorsport shooters here, but I put together what ended up being a rather extensive Fuji X shooting guide...http://www.chrisharrisonphotography.com/fuji-x-blog/2015/4/11/fuji-motorsport-guide

Nice work Chris - I wish I'd seen this before I tried some motorsport photography.

I took my X-T1 as well as my 7D just so I could try it out and see how it performed. I didn't have high expectations, but it definitely held its own against the Canon.

Follow The Leader by Abstracted Eye, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice work Chris - I wish I'd seen this before I tried some motorsport photography.

Thanks, I thought it would be a very niche article but it's been huge (i.e. thousands of views huge), partly due to Fuji UK picking up on it. Maybe there is more interest in pushing the Fuji into 'non-traditional' areas than I thought.

Hello,

I bought second hand vertical battery grip for my xt-1 and tried to install it now but nothing on the grip responds.
Am I doing something wrong?
How can you check if the item is faulty or it is a user error?
The buttons and shutter on the camera responds normally when the grip is attached.
Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Saglik

Its becoming harder to resist a Fuji when you see lenses like that...... on a separate query, how many of you with an XT1 previously had an X-Pro 1? On pure IQ is there much of a difference, I'm not too bothered about faster AF as I tend to shoot static subjects anyway but IQ is important.

I shoot both and still think the X-Pro1 has nicer images and is a nicer, more intuitive camera to use. But the speed of the XT-1 in terms of AF, and all round usability wins most of the time.

Hello,

I bought second hand vertical battery grip for my xt-1 and tried to install it now but nothing on the grip responds.
The buttons and shutter on the camera responds normally when the grip is attached.
Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Saglik

Have you made sure you have a battery in the grip ? ;)

Hello,

Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Saglik

I can't remember if there is a lock switch on it? Also, silly question, but have you removed the rubber seal covering the contacts?

I shoot both and still think the X-Pro1 has nicer images and is a nicer, more intuitive camera to use. But the speed of the XT-1 in terms of AF, and all round usability wins most of the time.

Thanks Dave, I've had an XP1 before just after they came out and liked it then and I believe with the various firmware upgrades its probably even better than then. Not too bothered about AF speed its the IQ that's important for me.
Really looking for a lightweight backup to my Nikon Kit but reluctant to spend the money on an XT1 without first seeing if I can live with the X-System output, the XP1 would seem the best way to try that out again as I haven't got much left from when I used it before.

I can't remember if there is a lock switch on it? Also, silly question, but have you removed the rubber seal covering the contacts?

Yes, I turn the grip on and removed the rubber seal as well.
I don't know what else I can do.
I don't have access to another XT-1 so that I can try it on.

I have attached my grip and it works fine. I have looked at every option in the menu and I can't find anything to solve your problem . Where are you based? I m in Brighton and if you are near you can try my XT-1

Yes, I turn the grip on and removed the rubber seal as well.
I don't know what else I can do.
I don't have access to another XT-1 so that I can try it on.

Have you checked the lock button is off on the grip?

Other than that I don't believe there are any other options on the menu.

Whereabouts are you based, I'm Worcestershire/West Midlands if that's any help.

Last edited:
lovely image! ....
i'm on the fence over buying the 56mm or the 23mm!!!
although my preference seems to be leaning toward street/landscape the 23mm would no doubt get more use,

lovely image! ....
i'm on the fence over buying the 56mm or the 23mm!!!
although my preference seems to be leaning toward street/landscape the 23mm would no doubt get more use,

The 23 is certainly my workhorse, the 56 is more of a luxury (particularly as I have the 50-140) but lovely to have.

Workhorse for what Chris?

As in it's the lens pretty much permanently attached to my X-T1 unless doing something specific that requires the 56 or 50-140.

For the past few years 35mm (equivalent) has covered nearly all my travel stuff, 85-90% of a normal wedding day, christenings, paddock stuff for motorsport, events for work (I work at a Uni and cover occassional events for them), nearly all my 'casual' shooting around the home and 99% of the pictures of my son since he was born 7 months ago.

I'm hoping to go full Fuji (dual X-T1 probably) after my next wedding in May (I will have a D600 with 50mm 1.8 with me just as a back-up for that one), everything I've experienced of the X-T1 so far suggests I should be quite comfortable doing that, but I want to be 100% sure first given the importance of the day so the D600 is my insurance policy.

Last edited:
Great insight Chris, thanks. Hoping to add this next week. :)

When i say add, i mean make it my only Fuji lens. :LOL:

Do you normally shoot weddings with the 23/56 (or will you) or will you go to the 50-140?

23 on one body permanently for the bulk of stuff including prep, details and group formals etc, I would guess 50-140 on the other for ceremony and speeches, and the 56 would just come out for the bride and groom portraits. I've shot with just 2 primes before and it was fine, so for smaller weddings I might just see if the 23 and 56 is viable.

The 16-55 hasn't even crossed my mind, I just love primes. I only own the 50-140 out of 'necessity' (i.e. no telephoto prime available)

Last edited:
Was out for a day yesterday in the lakes with my X-T1 and the MD 50mm. The 50mm was a bit restrictive angle of view wise so tried out the panoramic function on the camera. First time I had ever used that function on any camera and was pleasantly suprised at the resutls

Castlerigg Stone Circle by jakeblu, on Flickr

Above Braithwaite Panorama by jakeblu, on Flickr

and a couple withput the pano feature :)

Castlerig rock by jakeblu, on Flickr

Sheep in the Fell by jakeblu, on Flickr

I am really starting to enjoy using this camera, for a week or two after buying it I felt I had made a mistake in trading up from my X-E2 but now I am glad I did.

Last edited:
Gotta love that 56mm 1.2, I don't think I've ever not used it wide open!

Henry by Harry_S, on Flickr
What a great shot Chris, love the expression and looking away from camera. Its amazing that it was taken at f1.2, that is some lens :)

What a great shot Chris, love the expression and looking away from camera. Its amazing that it was taken at f1.2, that is some lens :)

I'm always amazed when I load a set of shots (usually of my son) into LR, they are always absolutely bang on with focus, even shooting wide open all the time and being very quick (he doesn't hold a pose for long!) This was part of a sequence of about 10 images within the space of a minute, him moving around all the time, every single one is locked onto his eyes perfectly.

People talk about ropey Fuji AF but I think it's the best system I've ever used. Not having nagging doubts over micro-adjustments is a nice feeling.

One from my morning walk round Paris today. Quick process on the laptop, XT1 and Samyang 12mm. I think the couple are attempting sex, and he isn't strangling her.

16988489008_0ceae352d7_b.jpg

One from my morning walk round Paris today. Quick process on the laptop, XT1 and Samyang 12mm. I think the couple are attempting sex, and he isn't strangling her.

16988489008_0ceae352d7_b.jpg

Nice shot mate, like the processing really suits the subject.

I think the couple are attempting sex, and he isn't strangling her.

Just a normal day in paris then :)

A quick wander around the Lickey's this morning in South Birmingham with the XT and 23mm. God I love that lens, it's just so versatile!

Really nice set of images Steve @jakeblu , I like the pano' shots very much. Something I've never tried but must give it a go. I'm kinda guessing you like the X-T1.(y)

George.

Nice shot mate, like the processing really suits the subject.

Thanks all. The shot is a complete rip off of one by a guy called Christopher Thomas. I love his shots of Paris and Venice. I have no eye for this kind of thing so I am just copying his and will then try to find my own approach once I feel I know what he was doing. He used Polaroid film on a large format camera and seems to like to shoot on misty mornings. I'm trying to emulate all this in post.

Big strange yellow thing in the sky here today, I remember it appeared one day a couple of years ago too. Very odd, and making big shadows everywhere!

Had to get out with the 23 today though.

Jpeg from camera

Plean daffodil by barrysprout, on Flickr

Converted this to B&W

Plean Country House by barrysprout, on Flickr

And the last one was with the 14 as my IR filter doesn't fit the 23
Thought I would try some faux colour, but after this attempt I'll probably stick to B&W

Plean Country House by barrysprout, on Flickr

Have you checked the lock button is off on the grip?

Other than that I don't believe there are any other options on the menu.

Whereabouts are you based, I'm Worcestershire/West Midlands if that's any help.

Hello,

I live in Coventry.
I wish I can have access to another XT-1 nearby so I can try this grip.
Thanks anyway.

Hello,

I live in Coventry.
I wish I can have access to another XT-1 nearby so I can try this grip.
Thanks anyway.

If you want to meet up somewhere halfway give me a shout, I'm actually in Redditch so.not far at all from you. I've got the grip too, so we can try both.

Just drop me a PM to arrange :)

If you want to meet up somewhere halfway give me a shout, I'm actually in Redditch so.not far at all from you. I've got the grip too, so we can try both.

Just drop me a PM to arrange :)

Just sent a PM.
Thanks

Not too keen on the last one Colin, but to be fair ir was never my thing. Like the last two though (y)

Last edited:
Back