The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Big strange yellow thing in the sky here today, I remember it appeared one day a couple of years ago too. Very odd, and making big shadows everywhere!

Had to get out with the 23 today though.

Jpeg from camera

Plean daffodil by barrysprout, on Flickr

Converted this to B&W

Plean Country House by barrysprout, on Flickr

And the last one was with the 14 as my IR filter doesn't fit the 23
Thought I would try some faux colour, but after this attempt I'll probably stick to B&W

Plean Country House by barrysprout, on Flickr

What IR filter are you using? results look pretty good for IR, think i'll have to get back into it!

Really nice set of images Steve @jakeblu , I like the pano' shots very much. Something I've never tried but must give it a go. I'm kinda guessing you like the X-T1.(y)

George.

You could say it's growing on me George :)

What IR filter are you using? results look pretty good for IR, think i'll have to get back into it!

I've got a few now, Hoya R72 in 52mm, bought when I had the 18mm (not great for IR because of hotspots) Another Hoya R72 and an RM90 both in 58mm for the 14mm and another R72 on it's way to me in 62mm size for the 23mm.
Todays shots were with the R72

Cheers Colin. How sensitive do you find the camera? 30 seconds F8 ish?

Here's another one I've tried colour and B&W versions this time.

IR Trees Plean by barrysprout, on Flickr

IR Trees Plean by barrysprout, on Flickr

This shot was ISO200 f8 for 10 seconds. I had the 23mm on the X-E2 at that point and took a shot of the same tree ISO200 f8 1/340th

Edit to add: Last year I tried the IR72 on the X100s which reacts similarly to IR, I was pushing the ISO to 3200 and taking hand held shots at 1/30th and 1/40th. Which I posted on the X100 thread here.
And funnily enough it's the same tree again!

Last edited:
Colin, which IR filter did you use and how much processing did it take to get to that (or, more to the point, how little would it take to get a 1/2 reasonable B&W IR result from the X-T1?)

Colin, which IR filter did you use and how much processing did it take to get to that (or, more to the point, how little would it take to get a 1/2 reasonable B&W IR result from the X-T1?)

These were with the Hoya R72 on the 14mm. B&W should be doable straight from camera, I was shooting raw and jpeg with the jpeg's set for B&W. I could have spent a few minutes tweaking settings for better output but I just wanted a basic preview on camera. This is straight from camera:

View attachment 35359

One click on auto tone in LR gives:

View attachment 35360

Last edited:
Cheers for that, Colin. I'll see what I can find in the way of cheap IR (R72 or similar - I think I have an Ilford SFX semi IR filter somewhere, actually...) and will have a play. I've only got zooms (other than the 18) and I'm not sure how well they perform in the upper reaches of the spectrum as far as hotspots go. I'll find out, I suppose!

The 18-55 apparently suffers from hotspots although I've not actually tried my filter on mine. It's not such a big problem for B&W images though so well worth experimenting at low costs.

Anyone use a shutter release cable with their X-T1? Was looking at getting one of these.

Marc, a Canon remote will plug into the microphone socket of the X-T1 (providing the plug fits!!!) and is cheaper than the official Fuji one. personally, I use an Android tablet or phone and the free Fuji app as a wireless remote.

Marc, a Canon remote will plug into the microphone socket of the X-T1 (providing the plug fits!!!) and is cheaper than the official Fuji one. personally, I use an Android tablet or phone and the free Fuji app as a wireless remote.

Wasn't sure how it worked with the app as it mentions wi-fi. Does it need wi-fi or does it create its own?

Nice shot David. I've driven past kings mill so many times but it's the first time iv actually seen it other than from the road!!

Thanks Adam. It's a little different to the old building, that's for sure! Being only a 5 minute drive away for me it makes for a nice wander if you're stuck for something to do for a hour.

Got quite a few shots that I'm happy with, will post a few more later on after the f1 has done. :)

Just checked, it won't work without wi-fi on the phone which is fine for when I'm at home but I'm looking for something to use when I'm out.

Back in the fuji fold again after a stint with olympus i love the fuji way

Last edited:
Although i haven't used it on the Fuji, i did use the Olympus and it just connects to your phone. It's not wi-fi as in internet, it's just basically so a phone/tablet can act as a trigger. I would have thought the Fuji system is the same.

Activate it on your camera, activate it on your phone and then connect them together. Simples.

So would this work with wireless triggers for canon too? I still have my hahnel combi tf from my canon gear, save me a few pennies if it will

Was thinking more for ocf than wireless remote

Last edited:
Just checked, it won't work without wi-fi on the phone which is fine for when I'm at home but I'm looking for something to use when I'm out.
Ive used it outdors in the yorkshire dales marc, you dont need a wifi router for it to work

Ive used it outdors in the yorkshire dales marc, you dont need a wifi router for it to work

Interesting. I tried it at home with the wi-fi on on my phone, turned wi-fi off and it immediately disconnected from the camera.

Ah, sussed it. Kept thinking it was connecting to my home wi-fi rather than the camera. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, you'll get used to my technological ineptitude! :sorry:

The new wifi connections is like when you used to send data between old phones using bluetooth, you don't need a router.

Edit, you've sussed it now!

Interesting. I tried it at home with the wi-fi on on my phone, turned wi-fi off and it immediately disconnected from the camera.
the devices communicate via wifi, phone and camera but the camera has its own wifi for using the remote

@fabs You actually need a wifi router for doing PC transfer though, which is a shame, that and not being able to choose which file to transfer makes it pretty useless imo

@fabs You actually need a wifi router for doing PC transfer though, which is a shame, that and not being able to choose which file to transfer makes it pretty useless imo

Not too worried about that side of it if I'm honest, just wanted to use the remote when out and about. Happy to continue to use a car reader to transfer to the computer.

does any one on here thing the Graphite XT-1 is worth the premium over the black?? ....

does any one on here thing the Graphite XT-1 is worth the premium over the black?? ....
Its silver colour, choice is yours :)

Last edited:

I think it's a horrible trashy plasticky looking colour that doesn't even come close to the classic Nikon FM2s or Canon A1s of the 80s, given that it's retro styling I find that a bit ironic. Horses for courses, it's down to people's taste ultimately.

Personally no, but then again I'm not keen on any of the silver/graphite coloured Fuji options. Prefer everything black!

Must admit that I looked at the graphite version when I was looking to buy and dismissed it immediately without even looking at the price. I was quite shocked when I saw the price!

Back