The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Yes, shows it can be done. Just reinforces my view that its the idiot holding the camera that's at fault!
Have to go for another try. Can't do the Superbikes next w/e so it will be the MG meet the week after that.

Last edited:
Don't be put off by manual focus on a car as it passes where you'll hit the shutter, then lock it in by switching to MF. I've had some success doing it this way...haven't tried and racing on the Fuji as 56mm just isn't enough!

Not really sure how many were used in the end, photoshop didn't manage to stitch all 30 that I took.

Yes.
Wasn't as big a success as I'd hoped. I'm putting it down to technique rather than the camera!
Think I was trying to be too clever and was shooting at 1/30 sec. Standing next to the track I don't think I could pan fast enough for that shutter speed. The longer range shots were better.
This was the best shot. Number is sharp, shadows on the body are sharp. Nice motion blur on the wheels. Nice amount of background blur. (But it was full of dust spots.)
There's another meet in two weeks that I can get to so I'll go back with the Fuji and the Canon to see if it's my technique that's at fault or if the Canon is just better at that sort of thing.

jaguar
by mickledore on Talk Photography

That looks pretty good to me Frank, personally I think sometimes we all worry just a bit too much about sharpness in these type of shots. (y)

George.

George, thanks. I sent it to the mates who I went with and they have panned it. If you go pixel peeping then the small lettering on the side of the car is not sharp. Yes the number is, and the reflections are but the minute detail is definitely lacking.

I don't know what is going on, so perhaps someone on here can explain.
Look at the wheels on this car. There is an off centere blur round the middle. Pointing up towards 10 o'clock.
What is causing that?
And it's not sharp!

single-seat

I thought I wasn't panning fast enough. Think I'll have to stand further back - stood on the rails is not the best place for fast panning.
Was using 1/30th - optimistically!

When you're panning unless you are totally smooth and keep the car in exactly the same place in the frame throughout the shutter opening you aren't going to get sharp photos, obvious innit? :p

Maybe IS off would help though

Start at say 1/100th nail that, then gradually get slower and slower. Think the slowest I've managed is 1/30 or 1/40 but don't forget it depends on the speed of the car.

IS was off!
Still think my technique is pants. Was aware that I was "snatching" the shots but couldn't seem to stop myself. Trying too hard on first attempt with this camera? Have done OK with the Canon in the past.

May have but it will take an age to trawl through all the EXIF data to find one! Don't use any fancy cataloguing system.

George, thanks. I sent it to the mates who I went with and they have panned it. If you go pixel peeping then the small lettering on the side of the car is not sharp. Yes the number is, and the reflections are but the minute detail is definitely lacking.

I don't know what is going on, so perhaps someone on here can explain.
Look at the wheels on this car. There is an off centere blur round the middle. Pointing up towards 10 o'clock.
What is causing that?
And it's not sharp!

single-seat

I've seen this effect before Frank, and as far as I can remember the conclusion was it can happen when using a slow shutter speed with a focal plain shutter for fast moving objects. Aparently the subject moves across the frame faster than the shutter, something like that anyway. I'd be really interested to see if you had the same sort of off centre blur but in the other direction if the car was moving from left to right. If the same thing happens then I think possibly this could be the answer.(y)

George.

George...here's one from the other side of the track.
Back end and number are sharp. Front end isn't and there is the wheel effect showing. Taken at 1/30th.
If the number is sharp is the panning more or less spot on, and if so why is the front all wrong?
Is this a result of too slow a shutter speed?

white-car

Back end and number are sharp. Front end isn't and there is the wheel effect showing. Taken at 1/30th.
If the number is sharp is the panning more or less spot on, and if so why is the front all wrong?

white-car

Forgive me for butting in but it looks like camera shake. 1/30 is too slow to pan. 1/125s is usually about the right speed to freeze a sports car whilst panning.

white-car

This ones got me Frank, I would certainly think your panning is spot on ie the car number is nice and sharp. Just a long shot but could it possibly be the front end of the car has gone over a bump in the track as at the same time that you've released the shutter? Even if it was lack of DOF at that distance and angle it wouldn't be showing that much of a difference from the back to the front of the car. It's not up or down movement or twisting with the camera as the white line in the foreground is showing no uneveness. Must admit mate this one baffles me.

George.

It's just what happens. The car is moving towards you and the shutter speed is slow enough to capture the movement of the car.

At 1/30 of a second there is a lot of movement from a race car.

It has grabbed focus and tracked that point until the shutter has closed. The front is essentially a long exposure of the movement of the car.

It's hard to explain.

Just came back from a family wedding where I took some photos.
The problem is I cannot open some of them.
I take them RAW+JPEG. After a certain file I cannot open them at all. I cannot import them to lightroom.
I can see most of them as a thumbnail on macbook pro but when I try to open them it gives me an error.
What can I do to try and solve this?
Any ideas?
Thanks

Just came back from a family wedding where I took some photos.
The problem is I cannot open some of them.
I take them RAW+JPEG. After a certain file I cannot open them at all. I cannot import them to lightroom.
I can see most of them as a thumbnail on macbook pro but when I try to open them it gives me an error.
What can I do to try and solve this?
Any ideas?
Thanks

Is this for both RAW and JPEG? Can you see them on the back of the camera?

Can you copy them into a folder on your desktop and access them from there via Lr?

Can't open the raw or the jpg?

Post up a couple of the files here and see if we can open them, that way you eliminate the MacBook as the issue if we can't open them

Back