The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I managed to convert those problem files from raw to jpeg in the camera and samvage them that way.
Overall there were just about 100 problem photos out of around 950.
Jpegs are usable but the problem I have now how am I going to trust that sd card now. I don't even know what caused this.
I wrote to the manufacturers and waiting for their answer.
What do you guys think I should do with this card?

Bin it. Not worth the hassle again.

Does anyone know how to stop the image in the rear screen being shown in whatever film profile is selected? I'd like to see just a plain un processed image particularly when chimping but always get the film simulation. There must be a way to switch this off, musn't there?

I think that is what i will do.
But maybe the manufacturer will replace it.
Fingers crossed

Does anyone know how to stop the image in the rear screen being shown in whatever film profile is selected? I'd like to see just a plain un processed image particularly when chimping but always get the film simulation. There must be a way to switch this off, musn't there?

Not sure there is @mickledore

Are you saying the camera applies the film sim to a RAW file in the reviewing screen?

A JPG will obviously just be a straight reproduction of the file which will have the film sim baked in.

I don't think you can.
Raw has to be interpreted to be able to be shown at the lcd.
Jpeg is a jpeg and would be shown as it is.

I just received a reply from them.
They asked some more questions.
Let's wait and see. :cool:

They offered a replacement now.
They need 10 digit serial number.
I will damned if i can read it. So faint.
I will try to read it later today.
I need a magnifier i think.
:mad:

Not sure there is @mickledore

Are you saying the camera applies the film sim to a RAW file in the reviewing screen?

A JPG will obviously just be a straight reproduction of the file which will have the film sim baked in.
Yes. That seems to be what's happening. It does all the time even if using the screen for focusing or composition. Bit of a nuisance in that the colour rendition is not what I wish to see.

There is, just set it to Standard (Provia). That's quite natural look and as good as it gets. There is no way to completely turn it of but standard is well, the norm as it were.

If you shoot in RAW as well then what whatever film setting you've used will be overridden. The most important thing when reviewing images is to make sure the subject is in focus, correctly exposed and composed, getting this right in camera has to be the primary objective. When using the X-T1 I shoot both JPEGs and RAW. If I don't want to do any PP the JPEG (Standard / Provia) colours look very natural and very good quality. For anything else then I'll edit the RAW files. I'm not a fan of Velvia, the green looks to false and I'm sick to death of Classic Chrome, I see it everywhere and it's had far to much exposure in my opinion but everybody to their own.

There is, just set it to Standard (Provia). That's quite natural look and as good as it gets. There is no way to completely turn it of but standard is well, the norm as it were.

If you shoot in RAW as well then what whatever film setting you've used will be overridden. The most important thing when reviewing images is to make sure the subject is in focus, correctly exposed and composed, getting this right in camera has to be the primary objective. When using the X-T1 I shoot both JPEGs and RAW. If I don't want to do any PP the JPEG (Standard / Provia) colours look very natural and very good quality. For anything else then I'll edit the RAW files. I'm not a fan of Velvia, the green looks to false and I'm sick to death of Classic Chrome, I see it everywhere and it's had far to much exposure in my opinion but everybody to their own.

Yes, I've got it set to Provia being as close to natural as I can set things. Yes, RAW does override all that and when I get home I can see "clean" images but it's just a peeve that what I see when on a shoot isn't unprocessed. Thought I might have to put up with it, but it was worth a question!

You might also want to consider the Zeiss Touit 50mm. it's a true 1:1 macro lens (unlike the Fuji 60mm) and also great for portraits so it's a very versatile lens and as you would expect from the Carl Ziess pedigree exceptional quality.

http://www.zeiss.co.uk/camera-lenses/en_gb/camera_lenses/touit/touit2850m.html

Here's one taken with the X-T1 / Zeiss Touit 50mm. ISO 200, f/11, 2.3 seconds.

North Yorkshire White Roses

I managed to convert those problem files from raw to jpeg in the camera and samvage them that way.
Overall there were just about 100 problem photos out of around 950.
Jpegs are usable but the problem I have now how am I going to trust that sd card now. I don't even know what caused this.
I wrote to the manufacturers and waiting for their answer.
What do you guys think I should do with this card?

To be honest for the money they cost nowadays I'd format it first and test it.
If still unhappy I'd bin it.
I'd hate to lose "that" shot if the card ever errored again. And you know it will cause it's the law of sod.

Yes, I've got it set to Provia being as close to natural as I can set things. Yes, RAW does override all that and when I get home I can see "clean" images but it's just a peeve that what I see when on a shoot isn't unprocessed. Thought I might have to put up with it, but it was worth a question!

If you want the screen preview to be close to what your raw file will show, Damien Lovegrove's settings come very close to it.

http://www.prophotonut.com/2015/06/02/fuji-x-t1-settings/

Not recommended if you want to use jpegs from camera but if you are shooting for raw it gives a much better idea of what it will show.

That looks interesting. Not got camera with me just now but I'll have a play later on. Many thanks.

Took the X-T1 for a walk this morning and the first real outing for the 10-24. Went through a lot of toing and froing today deciding whether the 10-24 was right for me or not. I've just got so used to shooting primes.

@24mm
Trossachs by barrysprout, on Flickr

@15mm

5 shots @10mm stitched
I really like those, wish I had a walk like that. And makes me want a 10-24 all the more. :)

Last edited:
To be honest for the money they cost nowadays I'd format it first and test it.
If still unhappy I'd bin it.
I'd hate to lose "that" shot if the card ever errored again. And you know it will cause it's the law of sod.

They now said they will exchange the sd card.
Good outcome considering...

What iso?

@mickledore had a similar issue a week or so a go. What was the fix?

Not sure if this is the same problem as mine, but hey ho!

I was trying to use my Canon flash units off camera and firing them via a 622 TX on the hotshoe and 622s on the flash.
ISO 200 , manual shutter and I can't remember any other "unusual" settings. Flash wouldn't fire until I change the Flash Mode in the menu to Forced Flash. Then it worked OK. Manual mode only, but that is sufficient for my purposes.

Hope this helps.

My Lens Turbo II arrived today! For me, its main purpose will be for portraits (using some superb vintage glass). However, I ran a quick test with my Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8 on the Lens Turbo II v the lens on my Canon EOS 6D and...frankly I'm astonished. I'll run some proper shots off tomorrow/at the weekend if I can, but the images from the Fuji were very comparable, albeit with a slight crop factor (the 28mm is more like 31mm with the adapter). The sharpness across the frame even wide open is amazing. So much better than the original Lens Turbo.

My Lens Turbo II arrived today! For me, its main purpose will be for portraits (using some superb vintage glass). However, I ran a quick test with my Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8 on the Lens Turbo II v the lens on my Canon EOS 6D and...frankly I'm astonished. I'll run some proper shots off tomorrow/at the weekend if I can, but the images from the Fuji were very comparable, albeit with a slight crop factor (the 28mm is more like 31mm with the adapter). The sharpness across the frame even wide open is amazing. So much better than the original Lens Turbo.

Looking forward to your thoughts once you've given it a full test. Was tempted to order one when you mentioned you had ordered it, but I'm really not sure any of the lenses I own would justify it. And that would then lead to me trying to find better older lenses :rolleyes:

What iso?

@mickledore had a similar issue a week or so a go. What was the fix?
Not sure if this is the same problem as mine, but hey ho!

I was trying to use my Canon flash units off camera and firing them via a 622 TX on the hotshoe and 622s on the flash.
ISO 200 , manual shutter and I can't remember any other "unusual" settings. Flash wouldn't fire until I change the Flash Mode in the menu to Forced Flash. Then it worked OK. Manual mode only, but that is sufficient for my purposes.

Hope this helps.

I think ISO 200 - I'll check tonight. I did mess around with changing flash modes, but did settle on forced flash. SS was set to 125

The trigger is confirmed as working, as I ended up using it on my D610

This is my first and only attempt at stacking, only four images and created in PS but it's a start.

Fuji X-T1, Schneider 120mm Makro-Symmar Lens, Self Made Focusing Tubes, 1/180th @ F5.6, Modified RF,

Fly ? (3)-02385 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking and any comments appreciated.,

George.

Very well executed George. I've only ever tried stacking once and used a free stacking program, my results were poor :oops: :$ I gave up.

Your shot has lovely lighting and none of the harsh highlights I always get when trying macro.

Very well executed George. I've only ever tried stacking once and used a free stacking program, my results were poor :oops: :$ I gave up.

Your shot has lovely lighting and none of the harsh highlights I always get when trying macro.

Many thanks for that Colin, appreciate your comments.(y)

I've never tried stacking before but thought I'd just give it a go. I actually took the shots a short while ago and wasn't really happy with them so thought I'd just play around a bit with them and this is what PS churned out. The Ring Flash is just modified with bits of foam packaging (the stuff that goes around the edges of shower screens to protect them in transit) and some polystyrene cut from a plate just to help diffuse the light.

George.

For anyone still using Apple Aperture my X-T10 RAW files are now being read after updating to Yosemite. I was under the impression it wouldn't work so have just bought Adobe CC. :mad:

For anyone still using Apple Aperture my X-T10 RAW files are now being read after updating to Yosemite. I was under the impression it wouldn't work so have just bought Adobe CC. :mad:

Yep. I'm an Aperture fan. Still on Lion. Aperture read my X-T1 files ok. Still not sure I'll update to Yosemite. Concerned it'll slow down my ageing Mac. I use, better whisper this...Canon 7D2 for wildlife. Have to use CC Lightroom to convert the RAW. Don't like it much.

so i have finally got my XT1 and i am honestly blown away, this is coming from someone that enjoyed a canon FF body and L glass. I only have one lens at the moment however i think that will change shortly. Anyway i have done a dirty lil test with it, and just loaded up the RAW in lightroom and got this with no adjustment.

AT-AT by Lee Yule, on Flickr

Back