The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

So yeah, I don't think I'll be trawling through 222 pages to see if it's been answered considering I've went through quite a few already haha! I'm new to the world of Fuji and have an X-T10. RAW files don't play ball. I've been converting to .DNG for them to be available in LightRoom. Does anyone else have a quicker and easier method than converting a large number of files? I'm using Mac OSX.

Have you not got Aperture ?

Fuji RAW files are RAF files. When I put them into LR 5.7 (Mac) You can't view the file nor import it as it can't create the previews based on the file format - RAF not RAW. So I've been using Adobe .DNG Converter to convert the RAF files to .DNG in order to do anything with them in LR. It's a long process converting say 20 files to be able to use them in LR.

Which version of OS/X are you on, Kris? Raw file handling is built into the OS, and I know the XT-1 raws are not supported by 10.6.

OTOH look at this post, second post in that thread:

Since that camera [XT-1] requires at least camera raw 8.4 and photoshop cs5 can only use up to the 6.7 camera raw plugin, you could use the adobe 8.6 dng converter to convert you Fuji X-T1 camera raw files to dng copies, which photoshop cs5 should then open.

Time for an upgrade?

Which version of OS/X are you on, Kris? Raw file handling is built into the OS, and I know the XT-1 raws are not supported by 10.6.

Not entirely clear when Raw support for the XT-1 came in for OS/X; this post suggests it was after the introduction of Mavericks (10.9), with Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 5.04*. The * says:

*Aperture version 3.4.5 or later, or iPhoto version 9.4.3 or later, is required to install this update.

I know the Adobe products don't use the OS/X Raw capability directly, but perhaps there is some indirect effect (something you said in an earlier post, I'll edit it in here if I find it...).

ETA Your wrote:
Fuji RAW files are RAF files. When I put them into LR 5.7 (Mac) You can't view the file nor import it as it can't create the previews based on the file format - RAF not RAW.

Previews etc are done in the OS part, so there may be two effects confusing things here: out of date OS so you can't preview the Raws (RAF files), and out of date Adobe software so they can't process the Raws.

Last edited:
I've been opening X10 Raws in LR5. If it can cope with them it should have no problems with XT-10, there must be something else going on.

Then an upgrade is the only way. Strange that there is a difference between cameras using what seems to be the same sensor (I mean XT-1 etc not the X10).

Last edited:
Then an upgrade is the only way. Strange that there is a difference between cameras using what seems to be the same sensor (I mean XT-1 etc not the X10).
It's not just the sensor, it's the way the camera interprets and moves the signals from the sensor through its internal processor, which generally differs in different models.

@ChrisR - I found that post yesterday - thanks.

I'm using El Capitan. I've recently did a clean install of Yosemite then updated to El Capitan because I'd bought a 500GB SSD to repalce my old drive. I didn't copy everything over to the new drive and just used it as a fresh computer with the exception of LightRoom and a few programs I of course needed. If it's being said that it should work with the set up I have then I wonder if I'm missing something from the install or something? Surely not!

I'll upgrade LightRoom and feedback how I get on with it.

Thanks all!

Very odd, this post suggests XT-1 Raw support is native to El Capitan, so it is presumably not dependent on the other apps as earlier versions were. Interested to know how you get on.

Good luck to you, Alan. I'd be interested in what steps you go through in the process of gaining your LRPS (if that's the level you're initially aiming at).

image.jpeg image.jpeg

A couple of shots I took this afternoon around 5, the big contrasty Sky caught my eye, I finally had an opportunity to use my Lee seven5 soft grads, I used the .9 and .6 together as the sky was seriously bright, had to set the focal length to around 12mm on my 10-24 as the smaller Lee filters vignette at 10mm. Shots are sooc.

Two very nice images Jim, I'm prefering the second shot for the more moody presentation.(y)

George.

Thanks, we were in a restaurant around 7:30 and the sun was setting, the skies were amazing pinks and yellows , I'm kicking myself I wasn't in the apartment then I would have got some amazing shots, but the Boss was hungry so c'est la vie.

Really impressive Jim, I actually prefer the lighter tones of the first shot. At first glance I thought it was something from the Arctic!
Lol actually it does look a bit Icelandic, although the palm tree in bottom right is a bit of a giveaway. Even though the evf on the XT-1 is big and bright, it's still hard to frame a shot into the sun accurately with it. I'm looking forward to pp'ing the raw files I've taken on holiday when I get home.

Good luck to you, Alan. I'd be interested in what steps you go through in the process of gaining your LRPS (if that's the level you're initially aiming at).

Yes I'm going to start easy, from what I gather it should be a straightforward case of showing that I have at least a good idea of what makes a picture and can handle a camera. Need to do a lot more reading up on it before I submit for it, but the most important step is getting out there and shooting!

View attachment 47973 View attachment 47974

A couple of shots I took this afternoon around 5, the big contrasty Sky caught my eye, I finally had an opportunity to use my Lee seven5 soft grads, I used the .9 and .6 together as the sky was seriously bright, had to set the focal length to around 12mm on my 10-24 as the smaller Lee filters vignette at 10mm. Shots are sooc.

Mine were out earlier too, didn't need to stack them though! Very good little filters.

Anyone got suggestions for a 1:1 macro lens to use on an X-T1?

I have a Canon adapter.

I have a Canon adapter.

If you get something around the 100mm length it'll give you a much better working distance and you'll need something with a manual aperture ring.

I'm not sure if any of the earlier Canon Macro lenses have aperture rings so can't help you on that point. But if you can get yourself a Nikon adapter then the 100mm Tokina (Nikon Fit) is very good and has a manual aperture ring (the Canon Fit one does not have a manual aperture ring). I have a Micro Nikkor 105mm 2.8D that also has a manual aperture ring and is "Excellent" on my X-T1.

Hope this helps.,

George.

No Longer Available.

George.

Last edited:

I have a Canon adapter.

I think you should get the Samyang 100mm f2.8 ED UMC, but that's just because I want someone to tell me if it's any good :D The only other native fit option is the Zeiss 50mm or a very long wait for the Fuji 120mm

As George has said though any macro lens that has full manual controls and an adapter for Fuji, My preference too would be 100mm. In saying that my macro lens is a Minolta MD 50mm, which does OK for the few times I use macro.

I use the Fuji 60mm which I picked up cheap S/H. Does me for the amount of macro work I do. Suspect it's not the fastest at focusing but I'm never in a rush when using it!!!

Had a wander round downtown Manchester last night. Went specifically to get an eye watering shot of this bridge. In daylight it looks as though it will be stunning lit up at night. I'm a bit underwhelmed by the outcome. Any thoughts?

Nothing wrong with you shot, good exposure and great reflection. It just has too much going on behind the bridge, and without major demolition work there is not much you can do about that.

I use the Fuji 60mm which I picked up cheap S/H. Does me for the amount of macro work I do. Suspect it's not the fastest at focusing but I'm never in a rush when using it!!!

I really didn't like the 60mm for macro, apart from it not being 1:1 I prefer to focus manually for macro and it's really not great for manual focusing.

Had a wander round downtown Manchester last night. Went specifically to get an eye watering shot of this bridge. In daylight it looks as though it will be stunning lit up at night. I'm a bit underwhelmed by the outcome. Any thoughts
https://flic.kr/p/zAvKag
I like it. Maybe just a tighter crop?

Nothing wrong with you shot, good exposure and great reflection. It just has too much going on behind the bridge, and without major demolition work there is not much you can do about that.
That's the Liverpool to Manchester railwayline. The famous one where the MP got killed on the day it opened back in 18???? Surely we could use it again like that?

Last edited:
I like it. Maybe just a tighter crop?

I did try a tighter crop, but I either cut too much, but not all, of the boat out, or lost the sky which made the top bit look funny or the LH side began and ended nowhere. Have a play if you feel like it, maybe you can get it looking right.

I've ordered some third party extension tubes to try with my 60mm while Barrysprout gets a Samyang 100mm f2.8 ED UMC and lets us all know how it performs, get a move on Barry :D

I did try a tighter crop, but I either cut too much, but not all, of the boat out, or lost the sky which made the top bit look funny or the LH side began and ended nowhere. Have a play if you feel like it, maybe you can get it looking right.

Frank, only an idea, but if you took the picture really low down, the buildings behind the boats would disappear behind the boats and the canalside would look a lot more dramatic as it swept away to the left. You might then be left with just canal, boats and bridges. Does that help?? (Well it means a trip back!!)

David, I did try a shot lower down, but it looked cluttered so I deleted it. A trip back. Now there's a thought. That a suggestion?

When? Any night next week except Friday.
We went in on the train to Deansgate last night, but that only gave us 2 hours shooting. Not enough for Salford Quays as well. Went by train because it was cheaper £8.70 each - and we didn't know where/how expensive car parking would be.
Don't really know my way round Manchester so would need guidance but no objection in principle to meeting again.

The week after we will be in Rome, so that's a no go I'm afraid. The week after that? Nothing booked yet.

I've ordered some third party extension tubes to try with my 60mm while Barrysprout gets a Samyang 100mm f2.8 ED UMC and lets us all know how it performs, get a move on Barry :D

No space in my lens cupboard, no lens funds in my bank. :(

However, if you want to buy my Minolta 50mm macro along with the fuji x adapter for £349 that would solve those two issues and I'll happily road test it for everyone :cool:

Back