The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

What did you switch to?

Needed some cash so sold the X-T1 and lenses and bought a little Lumix LX100. The Lumix is a great little camera for what it is, but the XT is just more enjoyable and rewarding to use and just so much more capable. The trouble is I my needs (wants) are always changing and much like cars and watches (my other two vices) I am forever changing! I have a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket now and I'm thinking of going FF and getting myself a 6D. I'd probably enjoy it for a while, then realise that a DSLR is just too big a bulky to carry everywhere (as I have once before) and end up looking at smaller gear again. May as well just get another X-T1 now! :rolleyes:

Needed some cash so sold the X-T1 and lenses and bought a little Lumix LX100. The Lumix is a great little camera for what it is, but the XT is just more enjoyable and rewarding to use and just so much more capable. The trouble is I my needs (wants) are always changing and much like cars and watches (my other two vices) I am forever changing! I have a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket now and I'm thinking of going FF and getting myself a 6D. I'd probably enjoy it for a while, then realise that a DSLR is just too big a bulky to carry everywhere (as I have once before) and end up looking at smaller gear again. May as well just get another X-T1 now! :rolleyes:

There are two of us on here who recently sold all our Canon FF gear to concentrate on the Fuji's (6D and 5D3) and another regular poster who does more shooting with his Fuji than his 6D. I don't miss my 6D at all.

If you had all the details, you could buy yourself a pint.....:D

That's a good idea. Let's go for it.

You do know that I will be doing a full kit inspection on Saturday week don't you? Failure to provide full access to your camera bag will result in a fine of one bacon bap!

There are two of us on here who recently sold all our Canon FF gear to concentrate on the Fuji's (6D and 5D3) and another regular poster who does more shooting with his Fuji than his 6D. I don't miss my 6D at all.

I'm the 5D3 man mentioned. Apart from really fast moving close up action shots I haven't missed it at all. For the number of times I do that sort of shoot I'll just stand further back. 5D3 lived at home for the best part of 12 months just not being used. Like Mr. Perceptive I don't regret having sold the gear.

Yes it's nice having big chunky pro/semi pro gear but I'm never going to sell my pics and as I can never see any likeliehood of printing bigger than A3 (more likely A4) why carry all that weight and cost around.

Ah. Bad planning there.
I got 72mm screw ins and a set of stop down rings. That way I can use one set of filters on different lenses. Not noticed any vignetting.

I'm back! I missed the X-T1 more than I thought I would...so I have bit the bullet, gone all in..Canon kit now all gone as of this morning and en route to MPB! 2 x xt-1 plus loads of kit all ordered :D

My XT1 got it's first sports tryout this weekend at the Ireland Wales six nations game. This is the first time I've used for sports after selling off my Canon gear. To be honest I was disappointed, the on pitch shots were generally quite soft. I'm not sure why. I took a few candid shots of the crowd and these were razor sharp. I used the 55-200mm and the 18-135mm. Tried to keep the shutter speed above 1/250. The only reason I can think of was most were shot wide open.

That is exactly my experience with the 55-200. Great lens but for fast moving subjects

Just curious really, in what way is the 55-200mm not good for fast moving subjects?

I've only used it for a trotting horse which is the equivalent to a person jogging and had no issues. Jim, when you say you "Tried to keep the shutter speed above 1/250, what would you say the average shutter speed you used was? I'd say 1/250th was way to low for this type of photography, I'd be aiming towards 1/1000th. Also, why would shooting wide open be a cause for images being "quite soft"?

Just curious really, in what way is the 55-200mm not good for fast moving subjects?

I've only used it for a trotting horse which is the equivalent to a person jogging and had no issues. Jim, when you say you "Tried to keep the shutter speed above 1/250, what would you say the average shutter speed you used was? I'd say 1/250th was way to low for this type of photography, I'd be aiming towards 1/1000th. Also, why would shooting wide open be a cause for images being "quite soft"?

I was wondering this as I'm looking to get a zoom for my Xpro1 and the 55-200 was top of the list along with the 18-55. At some point I will look at getting the X-T1 too.

I have a 55-200. Works well for what I use it for. The only problem I have had was at a race day at Oulton Park. I was trying to be clever and use an insanely low shutter speed - 1/30 or 1/60, something like that - to get panning shots. I was trying to stand right next to the track and pan the Superbikes as they came past at 100+mph.Tht didn't work, but it was more a fault of the camera AF and user error than a fault with the lens. The static shots were just fine. Nice and sharp. I cam to the conclusion, after a long talk on here, that I was just asking too much of the gear. I should have stood further back.

I too am curious as to why comparatively slow speed shots at a rugby match should not turn out well.

I'd say the average shutter speed was probably 1/250th as it's a stabilised lens I thought this would have been plenty fast enough, I was quite a way back from the action, so the players weren't moving particularly fast relative to my position.I'm probably not being entirely fair to the XT1 as I'd everything set to auto, iso, exposure etc AF-S and wide tracking. I was more focused on the game to be honest.
Most lenses aren't at their sharpest wide open. I compared my XT1 shots with many similar shots I've taken in the past with my Canon 7D and 70-300 L glass and the Canon set up produced much sharper results, but I suppose as I'd been using Canon gear for many years I was probably more comfortable with it than I am with the Fuji.
Probably bad technique and or lack of familiarity with my Fuji gear. Time will tell.

I'd say the average shutter speed was probably 1/250th as it's a stabilised lens I thought this would have been plenty fast enough, I was quite a way back from the action, so the players weren't moving particularly fast relative to my position.I'm probably not being entirely fair to the XT1 as I'd everything set to auto, iso, exposure etc AF-S and wide tracking. I was more focused on the game to be honest.
Most lenses aren't at their sharpest wide open. I compared my XT1 shots with many similar shots I've taken in the past with my Canon 7D and 70-300 L glass and the Canon set up produced much sharper results, but I suppose as I'd been using Canon gear for many years I was probably more comfortable with it than I am with the Fuji.
Probably bad technique and or lack of familiarity with my Fuji gear. Time will tell.

Interesting. I use the 55-200 wide open all the time (can't think of a reason not to) and never had an issue with sharpness.

As for stabilisation, faster shutter speed trumps it every time for sport IMHO.

I'm one of those people, I do miss my Canon gear for sure, but because of the size/weight it wasn't being used enough to justify keeping it. I love my Fuji gear and I'm more inclined to use it much more often than my FF gear, end of the day it's all about taking photos and enjoying doing so.

Still enjoying learning my new graphite X-T1.....

Taking it to Australia in 2 weeks time just with its 18-55 kit lens.

On the lookout for one other lens to take with me for day to day shooting, any ideas, 35 / 18 ?...

Interesting. I use the 55-200 wide open all the time (can't think of a reason not to) and never had an issue with sharpness.

As for stabilisation, faster shutter speed trumps it every time for sport IMHO.
Yeah I agree faster is generally better. I'll have to practice more using the XT1 with the 55-200, probably at a club match where I can concentrate more on the photography and technique rather than the game being played !

On the lookout for one other lens to take with me for day to day shooting, any ideas, 35 / 18 ?...

Wouldn';t take the 18mm if you are already taking the 18-55, depending on what you are doing then I would suggest something wider Samyang 12mm or Fuji 14mm, unless low light shooting is a priority.

If you were looking to buy before you go, then I would check out Australian prices, For instance the Xf27mm was on special promotion during last Christmas period at £97 in Australia!!!!

Unless you are desperate for a fast prime why take either the 35 or 18? Those ranges are covered with the 18-55, which is a pretty good lens.
Go wider or longer. My suggestion would be the Samyang 12mm.

Good point, I'll have a check of prices over there. Maybe that 56mm will be cheap enough for me to consider.

I'd love a 10-24 but again, price is pretty steep over here.

I've kept my 6D as I'd like to do some stock landscapes with it and my remaining Zeiss lenses (a super sharp combo), plus I love the OVF. But I still haven't used it for ages (other than product shots). The X-T1 is now the go-to camera for me :)

Fuji refurb store back down again

I spoke to them they other day and they advised they are "reviewing prices" on 1st March...

I've had a word with them. They have agreed to keep the site in a state of uncertainty in order to remove the temptation for us all to spend money we know we shouldn't be doing.

It's all part of their promise to help reduce GAS.

Honest. Would I lie to you?

I spoke to them they other day and they advised they are "reviewing prices" on 1st March...

Strange to keep a site up and down because they are reviewing prices. I think not. Thats a one time change.

Last edited:
Samyang 12mm sat in shopping basket.....

Is it worth saving up for the 10-24 or does the little 12mm hold its own?

I'll be shooting landscapes and general city stuff with my X-T1 and 18-55.

Back