The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Definitely. If I'm thinking about my Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar MC f/3.5 135mm Electric, it produces that silky, buttery, Leica-like feel to images that I really didn't expect from a lens this old and this cheap. And somehow, it feels that bit more satisfying to produce images with a lens like this than it does to do the same with the latest £1500 all singing, all dancing. Here's one taken with this lens and it's exactly this kind of smooth, lovely rendition that I personally love! Plenty of detail, tack sharp but that overall ambience that only some lenses manage to produce, at least to my eyes.

http://thirtyfivemill.com/blossom-2/

That is very nice indeed. I agree entirely and that is one of the reasons I still shoot with a lot of old film cameras, it just feels more satisfying to get a really good image from them especially when you own the whole process from buying film through to developing, scanning and processing. However sometimes it's just nice to go out with a cracking little camera and a kit lens and enjoy the view. (y)

'46? They will be the easy ones. Wait till you have to go to Grike, Little Mell Fell or Binsey. Then you'll question your sanity!'

Done LMF and Binsey also the Pike, Great and Green Gable, Skiddaw and a few more of the larger hills. I'm 54 now and I really should have started this a bit sooner but I'll do as many as I can although it's more SWMBO's challenge than mine.

Last edited:
That is very nice indeed. I agree entirely and that is one of the reasons I still shoot with a lot of old film cameras, it just feels more satisfying to get a really good image from them especially when you own the whole process from buying film through to developing, scanning and processing. However sometimes it's just nice to go out with a cracking little camera and a kit lens and enjoy the view. (y)

Thanks Andy. On an X-T1 you're manual everything with these lenses so it feels very "film-like". I have to say I don't really "get" using film anymore. After years of using film, going back to it and adding several more stages to what is already a time-consuming process feels a bit like going outside and shooting myself up the butt with a large firework. :D Each to his own, tho..

Getting off topic and bragging a bit I've got two full circuits to my name!
Lost count of the big ones but then I had 20 years as a fell runner until I smashed my back up.

Thanks Andy. On an X-T1 you're manual everything with these lenses so it feels very "film-like". I have to say I don't really "get" using film anymore. After years of using film, going back to it and adding several more stages to what is already a time-consuming process feels a bit like going outside and shooting myself up the butt with a large firework. :D Each to his own, tho..

I understand that, but for me its more about the whole process with film whereas with digital its more about the result. If I shoot a day on digital I would be disappointed not to get a good few keepers but a day with film I'm ok with none, although I would still expect to get a couple. :)

Yep, see what you mean Dunc, I'll have another look at them. I think some of the issues may be flickr related as they don't look so bad on my originals.

I often get this during PP, Andy. What's annoying is that viewed in PS they often don't show. Plonk them on the web and suddenly the probe are apparent, not just on PB or Flckr but even on my own blog where images are not down-rezzed.

I've ticked off a few Munros over the years and would love to get some more under my belt. Sadly, my knees are a little buggered which makes descending an absolute nightmare.

Getting off topic and bragging a bit I've got two full circuits to my name!
Lost count of the big ones but then I had 20 years as a fell runner until I smashed my back up.

This all started because my mate took us up Fleetwith Pike to finish his last one and then challenged my missus to do 50 before she's 50. She's now on 48 at 47 so its looking good. I did do quite a few when I was younger but I stopped hill walking for about 25 years now I bl**dy love it as having a camera gives me a reason for climbing them rather than just for the sake of it.

I have to say I don't really "get" using film anymore. After years of using film, going back to it and adding several more stages to what is already a time-consuming process feels a bit like going outside and shooting myself up the butt with a large firework. :D Each to his own, tho..
Funny thing is we were having this conversation on the TP meet at NMA on Saturday.
Consensus was that we'd moved on from B&W 408 line tellies, 33 1/3 albums and as Andy said "putting the iron on the fire to warm it up"....

But as you say each to his own.

I've ticked off a few Munros over the years and would love to get some more under my belt. Sadly, my knees are a little buggered which makes descending an absolute nightmare.

Mine too. Wait till your 54 and 18 stone, then your knees are definitely the weak point. I recently bought some pacer poles which have made life a lot easier but I still really hate the downhill bits. :eek::D

Not done any Munro. Honest. Done all the Welsh and English 2000' tops. And there are some pretty awful ones in that list!

Reactions: nog
Funny thing is we were having this conversation on the TP meet at NMA on Saturday.
Consensus was that we'd moved on from B&W 408 line tellies, 33 1/3 albums and as Andy said "putting the iron on the fire to warm it up"....

But as you say each to his own.

More vinyl sold last year than in the previous 20..... Just saying. :whistle:

I understand that, but for me its more about the whole process with film whereas with digital its more about the result. If I shoot a day on digital I would be disappointed not to get a good few keepers but a day with film I'm ok with none, although I would still expect to get a couple. :)

I have to say, what I miss are the days when myself and one of my best friends lived in Goteborg in Sweden. We'd shoot live bands all night and then meet up at the university where they allowed us to use their darkroom. All day Sunday we'd develop the film and it was great fun. I miss that but nowadays with a full-time family, company and diary I'm happy for digital.

What goes around, comes around... and that's particularly true with vinyl. :D

I always regret giving away my Quad 33/303 amp system. Had a look at prices the other day - phew!

Nail? 1980s? I'm talking 1970s!
Thorens TD125 deck. Shure arm and SME cartridge. Kef concerto speakers.
Nice.

Trying to remember which model nr. it was but a Naim CD player was my all time favourite. Had one for years together with a Rudistor Tube/Hybrid and Sennheiser HD650s. Stunning combo.

You would need a tube amp to soften the harshness of a Naim CD player!! Naims were always very much in your face electronics. Had a tour of the factory in 1986!!! Best Syztem I had was Squeezebox -> Meridian DAC Processor -> Bridged Meridian Power Amps (1kW each, no shortage of headroom) -> Shahinian Obelisks. Divorce No 2 saw the end of that system, since then I've spent all my money on camera gear!!! The hifi is simple now Squeeebox -> DAC/Pre -> small Studio Active Monitors

Just looking at ordering an X-T1 but now thinking should I wait for the X-T2

The X-T3 will be even better...

The focus position on the X-mount lenses is quite short as the sensor is closer to the mount than on a traditional SLR/DSLR, so even if it did fit the focus position would be all wrong, and you would have a very limited working distance. The other way round is fine, SLR lens to Fuji X, as the adapter acts as a spacer and puts the focus point on the lens in the right place for the Fuji X camera.

You might be able to cobble something together for an older rangefinder style camera though.

Aperture control could be a problem as could the fact that the Fuji lenses are for APS-C sized sensors rather than FF (35mm film).

Has anyone here come from a Nikon d750 apart from twist. Has any regret

I run a D750 based system alongside the X-T1/X-Pro one since there are things a DSLR does much better than the Fujis. TBH, the combination works extremely well for me and I can't see much need for any upgrades for a fair while.

Any experience with the eBay extension tubes? I see most have electronic contacts for AF but does that do aperture too?
I hear many have problems with dodgy connections on heavier lenses due to weight pulling them etc.
I'm not a serious macro shooter, but do like to have a go now and then...

Any experience with the eBay extension tubes? I see most have electronic contacts for AF but does that do aperture too?
I hear many have problems with dodgy connections on heavier lenses due to weight pulling them etc.

No experience with zEbay ones, but the Fuji ones are fine, even both on the 90mm cause no issues

The "Pixco" tubes from fleabay work very well and retain all functions. I've not experienced any problems whatsoever with them.(y)

George.

Tried out the 100-400 at an airshow on Sunday, not a great experience to be honest. Main issues are with the body (X-T1; EVF blackout, jump on AF start, general AF performance) although the AF was a bit hit and miss with the 1.4X TC fitted.

Abingdon Airshow 2016
by JJ, on Flickr

Abingdon Airshow 2016
by JJ, on Flickr

Abingdon Airshow 2016
by JJ, on Flickr

Abingdon Airshow 2016
by JJ, on Flickr

Interesting. Had my finger hovering over the "add to basket" button for much of the day.

Afternoon Fuji'ers

If anyone has an old tripod head/mount that doesn't work with a tripod anymore I am looking for one for a project.
Wanted thread here.

Merci ;)

Afternoon Fuji'ers

If anyone has an old tripod head/mount that doesn't work with a tripod anymore I am looking for one for a project.
Wanted thread here.

Merci ;)
I've got two old tripods that are in the recycling pile. They have centre columns with an integral head. They don't have separate plates on the foot of the camera rather they screw directly to the head. Camera is either on the tripod or off. No quick release, but if you just want something to hold a camera in place they could suffice. Can do piccies if you want.
Not worth anything to me so I don't mind a bit of butchering to make postage easier. Yours gratis so long as you pay post costs.

Tried out the 100-400 at an airshow on Sunday, not a great experience to be honest. Main issues are with the body (X-T1; EVF blackout, jump on AF start, general AF performance) although the AF was a bit hit and miss with the 1.4X TC fitted.

Abingdon Airshow 2016
by JJ, on Flickr

Abingdon Airshow 2016
by JJ, on Flickr

Abingdon Airshow 2016
by JJ, on Flickr

Abingdon Airshow 2016
by JJ, on Flickr

I'm loving mine on the x-t10. I've had a couple of f0 issues but no other problems (except grey, dull and wet weather)

I've only had a play with it yet but it's a keeper.

all shot at 560mm handheld

Last edited:
Back