The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

@rookies Youve had an Xt1, surely you can remember whether you liked it or not and compare images you took with it vs the D750 and the A7ii you also had briefly?

I've an 830nm X-E1, but unfortunately work commitments have meant that I've been elsewhere when the suns been shining!!!

Lens choice is about limited though with IR (significant hotspots), the 14mm and 18-135 are best

Yeah done it with both the 18-135 and Samyang 12mm using a Hoya R72 and got some pretty good results Alan. No hotspots either.

Any links to pics you two?

The 14mm is my main lens anyhow so there is no problem there! Just deciding what body to go for, most people go for the XE1 because it's cheap, I may do the same, although I'd prefer an XT body for handling. Just discovered this video too:

http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blo...on-infrared-images-with-lightroom-with-video/

Which I'm about to apply to some old S5 shots that couldn't be corrected before. (Unless I was using the Nikkor AF-N 35mm F2 everything was too red, so I only really used it for B&W)

Any links to pics you two?

The 14mm is my main lens anyhow so there is no problem there! Just deciding what body to go for, most people go for the XE1 because it's cheap, I may do the same, although I'd prefer an XT body for handling. Just discovered this video too:

http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blo...on-infrared-images-with-lightroom-with-video/

Which I'm about to apply to some old S5 shots that couldn't be corrected before. (Unless I was using the Nikkor AF-N 35mm F2 everything was too red, so I only really used it for B&W)

Here you go:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/89667368@N05/albums/72157654029785134

Most are taekn with X-E1 830nm, a few are on an unconverted Fuji with an R72, and some are with a Nikon J1 full spectrum.

It should say in the subtitle- what it was taken with

Can anyone show just how bad the hotspot on the 18-55 is? SOOC would be good.
There are a few shots on Flickr using a hoya r72 that look good enough to me. Is it worse in certain conditions in the same way flaring changes with shooting angle etc?

What... he's already had one and still asking all these questions? :withstupid:

I had the xt1 when first came out so was t that good. But reports saying with latest firmware it a much better camera

I had the xt1 when first came out so was t that good. But reports saying with latest firmware it a much better camera

What wasnt so good about it? Are you just switching for the sake of switching, you seemed very happy with the A7ii, then very happy with the D750?

What wasnt so good about it? Are you just switching for the sake of switching, you seemed very happy with the A7ii, then very happy with the D750?
I agree with @twist mate. Looking at iso performance etc is just silly if you've actually had one before. A firmware update won't change this.

What exactly weren't you happy with?

Can anyone show just how bad the hotspot on the 18-55 is? SOOC would be good.
There are a few shots on Flickr using a hoya r72 that look good enough to me. Is it worse in certain conditions in the same way flaring changes with shooting angle etc?
Interested also. Wouldn't mind giving it a bash with an r72 on my 18-55 if the results weren't too bad.

The AF wasn't as quick. I believe this had improved.

Reason for switch is wanting lightweight and live view as I like that in the a7ii. I might just get a a7ii again as I did like it very much apart from dust spots I just have to accept and clean

Reason for switch is wanting lightweight and live view as I like that in the a7ii. I might just get a a7ii again as I did like it very much apart from dust spots I just have to accept and clean

It hasnt improved dramatically, just offers more options. Saying that, I find the XT1 AF better than the A7 and the A7ii AF is very similar to the A7. So if you have an AF issue with the XT1 then...

Cameras get dust, especially mirrorless, you shouldve listened to what people told you, now youre going to lose in the thousands to get back to where you were. You said the D750 was a much better camera, why not just stick to it and stop losing so much money buying brand new gear. I know I switch often but your losses are massive in comparison, especially this time round. Up to you though.

Last edited:
:agree: . Andrew, maybe it's worth going down the prime route with your D750 for the lightness. I picked up a Nikon 50mm f1.4 lens yesterday for my D810 and it's nothing in weight and cheap enough secondhand.

The problem with swapping and changing new gear is the loss of money. Buy a secondhand XT1 and 35mm lens and if it doesn't work out for you, you won't lose too much money, if any.

:agree: . Andrew, maybe it's worth going down the prime route with your D750 for the lightness. I picked up a Nikon 50mm f1.4 lens yesterday for my D810 and it's nothing in weight and cheap enough secondhand.

The problem with swapping and changing new gear is the loss of money. Buy a secondhand XT1 and 35mm lens and if it doesn't work out for you, you won't lose too much money, if any.

Yup, thats already been discussed... among other things. :D

Yup, thats already been discussed... among other things. :D
I know, sometimes things need, repeating, repeating, repeating, repeating.:D

I have been keeping an eye on thread as not sure what to do, as my recent shoulder and elbow op's don't seemed to have worked. We decided to renew our season tickets last week so funds are a little low, so would have to sell the D810 and get a D750 and XT1 if I wanted to change now.

Go and get a a7ii lol

Honestly I am taking it all in and this afternoon is the d day whether I trade in for what etc

I know, sometimes things need, repeating, repeating, repeating, repeating.:D

I have been keeping an eye on thread as not sure what to do, as my recent shoulder and elbow op's don't seemed to have worked. We decided to renew our season tickets last week so funds are a little low, so would have to sell the D810 and get a D750 and XT1 if I wanted to change now.

Sorry to hear mate. A lots changed in the XT1 world since you moved yours along, I seem to recall you were more interested in shooting long and nothign was available back then except the 55-200. Now theres the 50-140 and 100-400 which both work with the new 1.4x tc and newly announced 2x tc. Also some other great new primes, definitely spoilt for choice.

Was that the reason you sold it?

Personally I wouldn't worry about dust bunnies when considering any mirrorless camera. I don't know about DSLR's though, haven't Nikon had a few issues with a specific model or two and oil etc in recent years? Other than with specific models and know issues I don't think it's anything that should sway your decision, AFAIK there are no specific issues with Sony, Fuji or any of the other CSC's.

As you may know I was an early adopter of both Micro Four Thirds and the Sony A7 so I've been shooting with these for years and I do frequent lens changes but even so I can't remember the last time I did a wet clean, I've used a Rocket a few times though and usually before and after doing so I run the cameras cleaning system. I actually can't remember the last time a dust bunny showed up in a real world shot except in my DSLR days and the only time I remember even seeing even a hint of one with my CSC's is when test shooting white doors at f22 and looking for them.

Just to give you an idea of my experience. The last time I took my A7 out I took 50 and 24mm lenses and I must have changed lenses over a dozen times whilst walking on the beach and in the park. These are hardly lens change friendly places but even so when I got home I checked at f22 and although there is the hint of one or two small grey bunnies they're tiny, not well defined, grey and not black and will never ever show up in a real world image, they're just hints of bunnies really and therefore aren't worth bothering with even for an anal geek like me. It's the same story with my other CSC's. I've been using my GX7 a lot recently with frequent lens changes and it was only upon checking a white door f22 shot (I usually check my cameras before putting them away) that as with the A7 there was just a hint of a bunny and it was vanquished with a Rocket and camera cleaning cycle. It's not something I worry about any more, not since selling my last DSLR, a 5D.

I think you should take a long hard think about the sort of pictures you want to take and how you want to capture them. Thinking should give you an idea of the kit you need most and if you want something beyond what you need maybe you can prioritise your needs and wants and come up with a shopping list that might keep you happy for a few years.

Sorry to hear mate. A lots changed in the XT1 world since you moved yours along, I seem to recall you were more interested in shooting long and nothign was available back then except the 55-200. Now theres the 50-140 and 100-400 which both work with the new 1.4x tc and newly announced 2x tc. Also some other great new primes, definitely spoilt for choice.

Yes, changed due to the continued delay of the 100-400, I was struggling with MF my longer lenses at the time. Giving it serious consideration as a second system for going out and keep the DSLR for the wildlife at home.Then see what the XT2 brings to the table and swap back to one system. I'm used to the 24mp + for cropping now, so won't do the full change over yet.

Was that the reason you sold it?

Personally I wouldn't worry about dust bunnies when considering any mirrorless camera. I don't know about DSLR's though, haven't Nikon had a few issues with a specific model or two and oil etc in recent years? Other than with specific models and know issues I don't think it's anything that should sway your decision, AFAIK there are no specific issues with Sony, Fuji or any of the other CSC's.

As you may know I was an early adopter of both Micro Four Thirds and the Sony A7 so I've been shooting with these for years and I do frequent lens changes but even so I can't remember the last time I did a wet clean, I've used a Rocket a few times though and usually before and after doing so I run the cameras cleaning system. I actually can't remember the last time a dust bunny showed up in a real world shot except in my DSLR days and the only time I remember even seeing even a hint of one with my CSC's is when test shooting white doors at f22 and looking for them.

Just to give you an idea of my experience. The last time I took my A7 out I took 50 and 24mm lenses and I must have changed lenses over a dozen times whilst walking on the beach and in the park. These are hardly lens change friendly places but even so when I got home I checked at f22 and although there is the hint of one or two small grey bunnies they're tiny, not well defined, grey and not black and will never ever show up in a real world image, they're just hints of bunnies really and therefore aren't worth bothering with even for an anal geek like me. It's the same story with my other CSC's. I've been using my GX7 a lot recently with frequent lens changes and it was only upon checking a white door f22 shot (I usually check my cameras before putting them away) that as with the A7 there was just a hint of a bunny and it was vanquished with a Rocket and camera cleaning cycle. It's not something I worry about any more, not since selling my last DSLR, a 5D.

I think you should take a long hard think about the sort of pictures you want to take and how you want to capture them. Thinking should give you an idea of the kit you need most and if you want something beyond what you need maybe you can prioritise your needs and wants and come up with a shopping list that might keep you happy for a few years.

Only the D600, free cleans and replacements even outside of warranty... and its not just Nikon. Dust is always going to be there with an interchangeable system, even if people dont remove the lens. People need to get over it and learn to clean. The 5D was well known for dust and bits in the OFV.

How does the XT1 cope as a wedding camera or is it not quite there yet?

Reason I ask is my D750 is away for repair and always fancied a smaller camera on the side so was wondering how it fares just in case D750 not back or to be used as 2nd camera?

Reason I ask is my D750 is away for repair and always fancied a smaller camera on the side so was wondering how it fares just in case D750 not back or to be used as 2nd camera?

Cannot say for definite but with an army of fast primes/zooms I suspect it will be quite capable. The one place where it might struggle is low light AF. Damien Lovegrove uses an XT1 for his portraits with great results and weddings are essentially the same thing (excusing the low light part)

I am shooting a wedding on the 23rd of June. I will be taking 2 Canon6D's for the job but will slip my Fuji XT1 in the bag as well. If I get a chance to shoot with it I will share any images I get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, changed due to the continued delay of the 100-400, I was struggling with MF my longer lenses at the time. Giving it serious consideration as a second system for going out and keep the DSLR for the wildlife at home.Then see what the XT2 brings to the table and swap back to one system. I'm used to the 24mp + for cropping now, so won't do the full change over yet.

Ive seen some interesting results where a user shows the real detail achievable from Fuji sensors using deconvolution processing methods. 16mp is more like 24mp+ and 24mp is more like 36mp+. DSLR + CSC is ideal ime, different uses.

Last edited:

Kevin Mullins....

http://f16.click/

It is capable, I used it for one or two. Found it frustrating in first dance situations. Also for events you really need to know what you're using inside out as conditions/light/expressions change in an instant.

Only the D600, free cleans and replacements even outside of warranty... and its not just Nikon. Dust is always going to be there with an interchangeable system, even if people dont remove the lens. People need to get over it and learn to clean. The 5D was well known for dust and bits in the OFV.

That may be the only one Nikon has publically acknowledged and done something about but the net is awash with others.

I'm not sure that people need to get over this as an issue as I think there needs to be pressure to improve the technology especially when specific examples are identified, such as the Nikon D600 and arguably others too. Even with the odd issue I'd rather have an interchangeable lens system than an expensive fixed lens system as at last you can clean an interchangeable lens camera yourself. This is one thing that I would worry more about if I was looking to buy an expensive fixed lens system.

That may be the only one Nikon has publically acknowledged and done something about but the net is awash with others.

I'm not sure that people need to get over this as an issue as I think there needs to be pressure to improve the technology especially when specific examples are identified, such as the Nikon D600 and arguably others too. Even with the odd issue I'd rather have an interchangeable lens system than an expensive fixed lens system as at last you can clean an interchangeable lens camera yourself. This is one thing that I would worry more about if I was looking to buy an expensive fixed lens system.

Is it? Because afaik as a long time nikon shooter they havent had any other recalls or issues which are specifically shutter oil related, every interchangeable will get dust, those are two different things. People need to get over dust, I never said the D600 oil situation was acceptable. I think youll find there have been issues with all the manufacturers systems including Sonys patchy quality control in other areas. No manufacturer gets it 100% right.

Last edited:
I bought a couple of cheapo extension tubes from Ebay to have a go at macro photography, it's more difficult than I thought, I tried different lenses, but for me the best results came from my xf 27mm. I also got good results with my 60mm xf macro, I haven't really used this lens from I bought ti, but it is a really nice lens, I had it on my X pro 2 so I've postedsome of the shots on the X pro 2 thread.
Here's one I took of an orchid with the 16mm extension tube and the 27mm.

26634736303_5e17a7c3c3_o.jpg

This guy is a wedding photographer and uses Fuji and has his own blog etc http://www.colinnichollsphotography.com/fuji-blog/

Or you could enjoy the Nikon and do nothing :)

looking like that way at the moment...

Could try and get a CSC as people been saying as a 2nd then work with both and see which suites me..

Or you could enjoy the Nikon and do nothing :)
This is exactly how you should think. I changed from Nikon due to the size difference, not because I found it a chore carrying the Nikon but because I found myself not using it at all or even leaving it at home altogether!

I wasn't making use of the Nikon for that reason and it was wasted as well as me missing shots of my wee one growing up which I knew I'd regret.

If you can and do still use the D750, stick with it!

[QUOTE="twist, post: 7421385, member: 30478"

Cameras get dust, especially mirrorless,...................../QUOTE]

Is that a proven fact? Only asking as it might very well affect my future purchase.

Thanks,
AL

Back