The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Having been away from photography for a few months (financial reasons) I decided to buy a used XT-20 from Park Cameras last week. I had not had much chance to use it, perhaps taken around 100-150 photos and today I had to change the battery. When I did the camera reset to factory defaults. I reset the date and time and removed the battery again and the same thing happened. I have contacted Park Cameras asking about my options but I just wondered if any one here has had a similar problem and if so did they manage to sort it without returning the camera. I fit a fully charged battery the day it came and it has been in camera ever since until I changed it today.
Jeez I hope not. I've used mine once and it worked perfectly. Let's hope you get yours sorted.

Well - the 80mm is a big heavy beast but by heck it works :)

Fly Macro
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

That's great!

I presume this was taken at the minimum possible focusing distance? Out of curiosity, can I ask how heavily cropped this picture is?

Cheers Steve - believe it or not I have bought a 60mm and some tubes to see if they can work for me as the 80mm is great but feels huge on the X-T20... So despite being very pleased with the above I may move it on - we shall see :)

Have you tried the extension tubes on your 80mm? If so, how has that worked out?

Cheers

Cheers Steve - believe it or not I have bought a 60mm and some tubes to see if they can work for me as the 80mm is great but feels huge on the X-T20... So despite being very pleased with the above I may move it on - we shall see :)

The 60mm is an optically fine lens and a nice short telephoto for portrait/general use. The 80mm is generally better for insect type Macro shots as it gives you a longer working distance which is better for getting a bit more light around the subject and even when used with tubes it can still give an acceptable working distance. The 60mm when used with tubes can very easily shield light from the subject with its own shadow as the working distance is that much closer.

Optically the 80mm is reckoned to be the sharpest lens in the Fuji-X range and is a tad sharper that the excellent 90mm, since getting my 80mm I have not used my 90mm as the 80mm is also Excellent as a normal medium focal length telephoto lens and of coarse its a stabilized lens where the others are not.

Just my opinions on having and using all three of these lenses.(y)

George.

Thanks
The 60mm is an optically fine lens and a nice short telephoto for portrait/general use. The 80mm is generally better for insect type Macro shots as it gives you a longer working distance which is better for getting a bit more light around the subject and even when used with tubes it can still give an acceptable working distance. The 60mm when used with tubes can very easily shield light from the subject with its own shadow as the working distance is that much closer.

Optically the 80mm is reckoned to be the sharpest lens in the Fuji-X range and is a tad sharper that the excellent 90mm, since getting my 80mm I have not used my 90mm as the 80mm is also Excellent as a normal medium focal length telephoto lens and of coarse its a stabilized lens where the others are not.

George.
Thanks for the comments George - actually I think the working distance is (surprisingly) shorter with the 80mm? It is great though - no doubt :)

I am going to try both for a while then decide.

Thanks

Thanks for the comments George - actually I think the working distance is (surprisingly) shorter with the 80mm? It is great though - no doubt :)

I am going to try both for a while then decide.

I think there might be a little confusion as to what I was saying with regards to the working distance of the 60mm & 80mm lenses.

In their native form at their highest possible magnification then the working distance of the 80mm is likely to be shorter than the 60mm, but at the their highest possible magnification in their native form the 80mm is at 1-1 (life size), where as the 60mm is only at 1-2 (half life size). If you were to put tubes on the 60mm to bring the magnification to 1-1 (life size) then the working distance of the 60mm will be shorter than the 80mm. At the same resultant magnification the 80mm will always have a greater working distance than the 60mm lens.

Hope this clarifies what I was saying a little earlier.(y)

George.

George.
Have you used any t/c on your 80mm George? If so any good?

George - thanks, I am totally clear on what you are saying but not totally sure I agree...

See in here - adding tubes to the 60mm does not change the WD by much and it has a big head start! Even adding two 16mm tubes I don’t think would get it down to the 80mm number and it would be about 1:1 :)

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/pdf/mcex_01.pdf
I can remeber reading a thread on dpreview where a chap was saying working distance with the 60mm with both tubes so basically 1:1 was approx 110mm, if thats right Im wrong with my thinking because i would have said George was right. The disadvantage of tubes will be the loss of light involved.
Be intresting to know what is the working distance of the 80mm at half life size?

Have you used any t/c on your 80mm George? If so any good?

No, When we I first invested in the 100-400mm lens units we were given both TCs to try but none of us liked them. There was too much of a drop in definition for our liking, with the 1.4 not dropping as much as the 2.0, which one would expect I guess so we decided not to keep them. Horses for coarses I expect but they definitely weren’t for us.(y)

George.

I've just managed to acquire a 1970s Vivitar (Komine manufactured) 55mm f2.8 macro for just £30 - I had one of these way back on my Canon TLb in the good old film days and it was a superb all-rounder as well as a full 1:1 macro. Another £17.99 for a K&F Concept Nikon to Fuji adaptor and we're in business.

DSCF0008_M by Andrew R, on Flickr

DSCF0007 by Andrew R, on Flickr

This is ever so easy to use in manual on the X-T2 - so for an outlay of just £48, I have a good quality 80mm (equiv) macro lens.

I've just managed to acquire a 1970s Vivitar (Komine manufactured) 55mm f2.8 macro for just £30 - I had one of these way back on my Canon TLb in the good old film days and it was a superb all-rounder as well as a full 1:1 macro. Another £17.99 for a K&F Concept Nikon to Fuji adaptor and we're in business.

This is ever so easy to use in manual on the X-T2 - so for an outlay of just £48, I have a good quality 80mm (equiv) macro lens.
That's an absolute bargain. Lens looks new!

I used to rate Vivitar lenses when I had Nikon film cameras back in the 70s. Be interesting to see how they perform against modern glass (and other vintage brands) on digital.

Taylor Swift at Wembley.

0KwQoLj.jpg

Love that Fairy Glen.

Thanks Trevor kind of you to say so.

Love these Graham.

Thanks Brian appreciate it

A wonderful selection, but the first, mono, shot is soooo moody.

Cheers Stephen very kind of you, I do rather like a moody B&W

A great set of captures

Thank you appreciate it

Had a flick through your Flickr Graham, some stunning stuff in there!!!!!

Cheers Chris thats very kind of you to say its appreciated

Finally had some spare time and got my monitor profiled and my my printer set up for my new A3 Fotospeed paper (Colour on A3 Fotospeed NST Bright White 315 Signature and Monochrome on A3 Fotospeed Platinum Baryta 300), what a difference monitor calibration and proper paper makes (and some decent printer profiles - and the soft proofing in Lightroom makes printing a doddle)

A3 Printing
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Lovely shot. What did you use to achieve this?

Thanks!

80,000 fans and 1 Taylor Swift? :p

I just used the 23/1.4 hand held.

Wish I had my Sony tbh with IBIS and may be even a A7R3 for more pixels to get more detail but they had a look at my camera when I went in, I don’t think “pro” looking cameras are allowed.

Finally had some spare time and got my monitor profiled and my my printer set up for my new A3 Fotospeed paper (Colour on A3 Fotospeed NST Bright White 315 Signature and Monochrome on A3 Fotospeed Platinum Baryta 300), what a difference monitor calibration and proper paper makes (and some decent printer profiles - and the soft proofing in Lightroom makes printing a doddle)

A3 Printing
by David Yeoman, on Flickr
Looking really good [emoji3]

Back