The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Sometimes, I don't actually mind being woken up at 5.30 on a Sunday. But only sometimes.

Sunday Morning Mist by Alan Jones, on Flickr

This is the first time I've ever used the HDR merge in Lightroom, because there was no way a grad was going to work here. I'm kicking myself a little that I didn't switch to the 55-200 and home in on the horse the other side of the mist, that would have been a shot in it's own right!
As others have said, lovely shot! I tend to prefer blending with luminosity masks these days, but it's always worth putting the shots into LR HDR blend first to see what you get. Sometimes, as here, it does an excellent job...

Just a quick FYI
I had a bunch of Hahnel Captur remote stuff for my Nikon, and figured I`d see what happens with a cable set for Fuji .... It all works yayy, so am guessing the units are pretty generic, and it`s only the cables that need changing over :)

just thought I`d share, in case anyone else has this issue.

Sometimes, I don't actually mind being woken up at 5.30 on a Sunday. But only sometimes.

This is the first time I've ever used the HDR merge in Lightroom, because there was no way a grad was going to work here. I'm kicking myself a little that I didn't switch to the 55-200 and home in on the horse the other side of the mist, that would have been a shot in it's own right!

Epic, needs printing!! (without watermark :))

Ladies and Gents - anybody know what the change to magnification and working distance is from adding a teleconverter (1.4x or 2x) to the 80mm ?

Had a quick Google but nothing really definitive leaping out at me...

Cheers :)
Looking at the 1.4tc specification page on the Fuji website

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf14x_tc_wr/specifications/

It says ' that the focus range will be the same as that of the lens and the magnification will be times 1.4'

Looking for an inexpensive longer zoom for landscape work, mostly on a tripod. So doesn't need to be fast, and AF and OIS don't matter.

Anyone happen to have used both the XC 50-230 and the Contax Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 80-200? @BacktotheFuji maybe?

Thanks!

Both are great lenses! The Zeiss renders beautifully and is a bit sharper, particuarly for portraits and landscapes, but is prone to CA if shooting through subjects on different planes e.g. trees or in strong light. The Fujinon is more useful in that it has OIS and AF for non-landscape shots and is very light.

Personally, as much as I love Zeiss lenses, I'd go with the Fuji for versatility. Particularly if you can get a cheap one for around £120 used.

New ones can be found here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fujifilm...261461?hash=item467bb66415:g:KPMAAOSwhEla5~5k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fujifilm...261461?hash=item467bb66415:g:KPMAAOSwhEla5~5k

Wow. Not sure what to say...just beautiful.

Spent an hour trying to get some half decent pictures a friends horse. I'm not kidding when I say there are probably five out of a couple of hundred that are remotely useable! The horse was so hungry she spent the whole time head down eating grass! Back again next week to try again :rolleyes::D

DSCF9707 by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

DSCF9966 by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

Last edited:

Excellent Alan, another worthy of being blown up big and put on the wall.

Spent an hour trying to get some half decent pictures a friends horse. I'm not kidding when I say there are probably five out of a couple of hundred that are remotely useable! The horse was so hungry she spent the whole time head down eating grass! Back again next week to try again :rolleyes::D

Two nice Fujigraphs Sir, particularly liking #1 for the interaction between the horse & young lady.(y)

George.

Last edited:

It will never not be hungry. I have also tried this and came away with similar results.

Second one for me, very good looking horse.

Tenby Harbour:-

Tenby Harbour by Andrew R, on Flickr
A great shot evoking fond memories of childhood holidays there.

Unfortunately this memory was shattered when I revisited a few years ago. The place now seems rather tawdry. <sigh> Time marches on.

It will never not be hungry. I have also tried this and came away with similar results.

Second one for me, very good looking horse.

So true. Apparently she gorges for 3 hours at a time. (The horse, not my friend!)

Two nice Fujigraphs Sir, particularly liking #1 for the interaction between the horse & young lady.(y)

George.

Thanks George. She's in love with the horse. It's a like a 3rd child to her!

As others have said, lovely shot! I tend to prefer blending with luminosity masks these days, but it's always worth putting the shots into LR HDR blend first to see what you get. Sometimes, as here, it does an excellent job...

Wow. Not sure what to say...just beautiful.

Epic, needs printing!! (without watermark :))

Once again, big thanks guys! Yes I think it might just end up on the wall that. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one George (y)
Always get a good view from that side.

Both are great lenses! The Zeiss renders beautifully and is a bit sharper, particuarly for portraits and landscapes, but is prone to CA if shooting through subjects on different planes e.g. trees or in strong light. The Fujinon is more useful in that it has OIS and AF for non-landscape shots and is very light.

Personally, as much as I love Zeiss lenses, I'd go with the Fuji for versatility. Particularly if you can get a cheap one for around £120 used.

New ones can be found here:

Thanks, that's very useful and in line with what I'd heard. There's one being auctioned on eBay at the moment with faulty OIS. As I don't plan on using it much off tripod, that might well be a good choice if other bidders don't fancy it.

I like the Zeiss lens on paper, but in practice it's hard to find one for sale inside the EU, never mind the UK.

Thanks again!

A bit more from Harris, for once it's not a seascape. :D Light would have been better earlier, no doubt, but I liked the curve of the path and the house at the end of it.

Nestled
by David Hallett, on Flickr

That’s a nice Fujigraph Sir, nicely composed with a good lead in from the path/road, and I like the way the house stands out to make it look as if its kinda spotlighted.(y)

George.

Back