The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Did you see the oblique comments Laroque made on his blog about the sample images? They had to be supplied as raw files to Fuji and he drops suggestions that Fuji may not have represented them in their best light on the official gallery. The examples on his blog (particularly the 100% crops) look better than those on the Fuji gallery, and they're the same images.

They arent doing themselves any favors are they.

Sure. As long as your persuasion includes cash ;)

Haha... Wish I could, the wife's put the blockers on spending after Xmas ;) I can offer my gripped xe1, a Thorntons chocolate snowman and a Cadburys selection box? Lol.

If you fancy sending me a pm with amounts involved I'll see if I can talk her round :/

Did you see the oblique comments Laroque made on his blog about the sample images? They had to be supplied as raw files to Fuji and he drops suggestions that Fuji may not have represented them in their best light on the official gallery. The examples on his blog (particularly the 100% crops) look better than those on the Fuji gallery, and they're the same images.

I didn't. But that makes sense. And although I really liked the steampunk shoot I thought that they didn't stand up to the kind of pixel peeping Fuji should expect people to do. As images I like them. As a display of the sharpness of a flagship lens it would have been better to select other images.

Haha... Wish I could, the wife's put the blockers on spending after Xmas ;) I can offer my gripped xe1, a Thorntons chocolate snowman and a Cadburys selection box? Lol.

If you fancy sending me a pm with amounts involved I'll see if I can talk her round :/

Leave it with me for a day or so - I'm thinking about converting an X camera for infra red. It's a toss up whether the X-Pro 1 gives me any advantages there or having 2 identical bodies is better. I suppose to be above board I'll need to post in the classifieds ;)

If your happy shooting Jpeg thats cool, I'm a raw man and need all the advantages raw brings.
Jpegs fine for me really can't be doing with pp I want the camera to do a good enough job in the first place and Fuji do a grand job on that score

It's possible they have a point though. The 56 mm images were pretty odd considering. Now the X-T1 launch images are something of a mixed bag. It's odd because we know what the sensor is capable of.

It's possible they have a point though. The 56 mm images were pretty odd considering. Now the X-T1 launch images are something of a mixed bag. It's odd because we know what the sensor is capable of.

Sometimes not sure where all theses pre production reviews come from,or even if they have even got the lens or cameras their reporting on.
At the moment Fuji are running some test in Italy,with a photographer they use,for me I will alway wait till I hear from a trusted source.

:)

Just checked out the spec and read that L on the ISO dial is 100iso, Jpeg only!! Sorry fuji. I would have been very tempted!

I would love the new VF and the improved AF but my X-E1 is the first camera I have had that I don't want to change. It is the only camera I have owned that I see less as a gadget. It is not going anywhere, maybe if the X-E3 comes out some time with that new viewfinder I will think again but for the time being I am having a lot of fun with my X-E1. Next job is to buy the 10-24 :)

I'm pretty impressed by what I've seen and read in this first look. Make sure you check out the links to Flickr where he's uploaded some higher resolution images.

Highly tempted to sell my X-Pro 1 for one of these.

About the base ISO of 200 and max shutter speed of 1/4000s, this has never been an issue for me even though I mostly shoot my X-Pro 1 with the 35mm f/1.4 wide open. Dull UK weather and shooting a lot indoors means I'm more concerned about low light performance.

Yes, of course the price will drop, but I'd rather be able to use it sooner as I think it'll help me get a higher rate of keepers compared to my X-Pro 1. The flippy screen means less lying on the floor which means my clothes won't get dirty as quickly!

"I think it'll help me get a higher rate of keepers compared to my X-Pro 1"
Sounds like wishful thinking.

"I think it'll help me get a higher rate of keepers compared to my X-Pro 1"
Sounds like wishful thinking.

Yep and it's purely based on what I've seen online, but if the spec sheet holds true and it's more responsive then it should. The X-Pro isn't the quickest camera to use for candid stuff.

Besides, who buys a camera hoping for a worse keeper rate? Not me, at least.

I'm pretty impressed by what I've seen and read in this first look. Make sure you check out the links to Flickr where he's uploaded some higher resolution images.

Yeah, I saw those. Very impressive :)

Re the base ISO - we all know that to change that, they would need to create a new sensor, right?

Just checked out the spec and read that L on the ISO dial is 100iso, Jpeg only!! Sorry fuji. I would have been very tempted!

Hmmm didn't realise this. Bit of a fly in the ointment. What's the reason behind this? I take it that 200 is clean but that's going to cause issues wide open... I'm sure I've read that some other cameras have built in virtual NDs... can't be that difficult surely.

Hmmm didn't realise this. Bit of a fly in the ointment. What's the reason behind this? I take it that 200 is clean but that's going to cause issues wide open... I'm sure I've read that some other cameras have built in virtual NDs... can't be that difficult surely.

Out of curiosity, how often do you hit the lower ISO/upper shutter speed combination and in what sort of scenarios?

Because the native ISO of the sensor is 200.

To achieve 100 cameras typically overexpose and then throttle back the highlights. That's kind of pointless on a raw file.

I'm not sure how these virtual ND filters work but I guess it might be similar.

Highly tempted to sell my X-Pro 1 for one of these.

About the base ISO of 200 and max shutter speed of 1/4000s, this has never been an issue for me even though I mostly shoot my X-Pro 1 with the 35mm f/1.4 wide open. Dull UK weather and shooting a lot indoors means I'm more concerned about low light performance.

Yes, of course the price will drop, but I'd rather be able to use it sooner as I think it'll help me get a higher rate of keepers compared to my X-Pro 1. The flippy screen means less lying on the floor which means my clothes won't get dirty as quickly!

I would say very impressive and far better converted than the offerings on the Fuji site. where they are over sharpened and you can see some of the strange conversion patterning.
It also seems that the predictive focus is up to the mark.
As Just about all modern sensors have a native speed of 200iso, I do not see what the fuss is about. Just use a ND filter.
obviously they can be processed to 100 Iso as they do it to the Jpegs. It is easy to set your raw processor to do the same. But the quality will always be a little better using the native 200 iso.

Very rarely on my 7D. Summer sun with an 85mm 1.8 caused me probs last year.
Thinking about it, I've encountered similar situations where not even ISO 100 and 1/8000 on my D800 have been unable to prevent over exposure.

It's a shame Fuji haven't implemented a built-in ND filter like in the X100(S). Perhaps, it's something that can only practically be done with a fixed lens hence the omission from any of the interchangeable line-up?

It's a shame Fuji haven't implemented a built-in ND filter like in the X100(S). Perhaps, it's something that can only practically be done with a fixed lens hence the omission from any of the interchangeable line-up?

Some video cameras with interchangeable lenses have this feature so I'd say it was more a money saving thing than a technical problem

Because the native ISO of the sensor is 200.

To achieve 100 cameras typically overexpose and then throttle back the highlights. That's kind of pointless on a raw file.

I'm not sure how these virtual ND filters work but I guess it might be similar.

The ND filter in the x100 is an actual internal ND filter.

As Just about all modern sensors have a native speed of 200iso, I do not see what the fuss is about. Just use a ND filter.

The problem is this...

You decide you want to shoot with a wide aperture and you then find that you've hit 1/4000.

- You remove your lens hood and put it in your pocket or bag or put it on a wall or hang it from a tree.
- You retrieve your ND case from your pocket or bag, open it and remove the ND.
- You fit the ND to your lens and either refit the hood or don't bother.
- You've put the ND case somewhere or you're still holding it so you need to put it in your pocket or bag.
- You take the shot.

You then decide to take another shot but as you've still got the ND fitted your ISO is 800 or 1600 and your shutter speed is 1/30 and you decide that you need to remove the ND filter.

- You retrieve the ND case from your bag or pocket.
- You remove the (lens hood?) ND filter.
- You put the ND filter in its case and put the case back in your bag or pocket.
- You shoot.

You frame your next shot and find that you need the ND again...

With my MFT G1 I was finding that on some days I needed the ND for one shot in three and juggling the camera, lens hood, bag, ND case and ND just got to be a right royal PITA - and that was with a camera with a base ISO of 100.

Another option of course is to limit yourself to f2.8 and I could often manage f2.8 and stay at or under 1/4000 but sometimes my limit was f4 and on the day I tried shooting with the ISO set to 200 I found that for a couple of shots the widest aperture I could manage was f7.something.

Compare that with my 5D or A7 which can shoot at F1.4 and 1/8000. I can't remember a time when I needed an ND on my 5D to stay at or under 1/8000 and so far I haven't needed one on my A7.

With an APS-C camera the situation isn't quite as bad as with MFT but these smaller sensor systems are possibly going to push you towards using wider lenses and wider apertures if you like the shallow DoF look and juggling ND's does detract for me at least as I not only find ND's a PITA to fit and remove when out and about but I also find that they and their use (fitting and removing and standing there juggling kit, which is a two handed job, does attract additional attention and detract from the unobtrusive style that I personally prefer.

I just hate being limited to 1/4000 and looking at the sample images there are some that show 1/4000 at f2.8 (I think...)

OK years ago we were limited to even lower max shutter speeds but it isn't 1954 any more and I came to love the freedom my 20D gave me and I just hate to give it up now especially when we have all these lovely f1.4 and f1.8 lenses, my God we even have f1.2 and f0.95 lenses :D

The rising base ISO and limited max shutter speed is the biggest issue I have with CSC and if there'd been one available with 100 and 1/8000 I wouldn't have moved to Sony.

Anyway, rant over.

It looks a lovely camera and I'm sure that many will be very happy shooting at f8 all day :D

PS. And for me processing to 100 isn't the answer if it means reduced DR and clipped highlights as it does with some if not all (I haven't read all the reviews) recent cameras

I've spent time looking at Leica and Fuji blogs and I do wonder if the significant number of shots with obviously blown highlights is an artistic choice or an indication of the limitation. There are also a lot of shots which look to me as if the shooter has avoided the issue by altering the composition, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
The problem is this...

You decide you want to shoot with a wide aperture and you then find that you've hit 1/4000.

- You remove your lens hood and put it in your pocket or bag or put it on a wall or hang it from a tree.
- You retrieve your ND case from your pocket or bag, open it and remove the ND.
- You fit the ND to your lens and either refit the hood or don't bother.
- You've put the ND case somewhere or you're still holding it so you need to put it in your pocket or bag.
- You take the shot.

You then decide to take another shot but as you've still got the ND fitted your ISO is 800 or 1600 and your shutter speed is 1/30 and you decide that you need to remove the ND filter.

- You retrieve the ND case from your bag or pocket.
- You remove the (lens hood?) ND filter.
- You put the ND filter in its case and put the case back in your bag or pocket.
- You shoot.

You frame your next shot and find that you need the ND again...

With my MFT G1 I was finding that on some days I needed the ND for one shot in three and juggling the camera, lens hood, bag, ND case and ND just got to be a right royal PITA - and that was with a camera with a base ISO of 100.

Another option of course is to limit yourself to f2.8 and I could often manage f2.8 and stay at or under 1/4000 but sometimes my limit was f4 and on the day I tried shooting with the ISO set to 200 I found that for a couple of shots the widest aperture I could manage was f7.something.

Compare that with my 5D or A7 which can shoot at F1.4 and 1/8000. I can't remember a time when I needed an ND on my 5D to stay at or under 1/8000 and so far I haven't needed one on my A7.

With an APS-C camera the situation isn't quite as bad as with MFT but these smaller sensor systems are possibly going to push you towards using wider lenses and wider apertures if you like the shallow DoF look and juggling ND's does detract for me at least as I not only find ND's a PITA to fit and remove when out and about but I also find that they and their use (fitting and removing and standing there juggling kit, which is a two handed job, does attract additional attention and detract from the unobtrusive style that I personally prefer.

I just hate being limited to 1/4000.

OK years ago we were limited to even lower max shutter speeds but it isn't 1954 any more and I came to love the freedom my 20D gave me and I just hate to give it up now.

The rising base ISO and limited max shutter speed is the biggest issue I have with CSC and if there'd been one available with 100 and 1/8000 I wouldn't have moved to Sony.

Anyway, rant over.

It looks a lovely camera and I'm sure that many will be very happy shooting at f8 all day :D

Weather must change very quickly where you are. Between shots. Thats pretty impressive.

1) Its sunny outside - put ND on before leaving the house
2) Its not sunny outside - take ND with anyway

You make it sound very complicated.

Last edited:
Weather must change very quickly where you are. Between shots. Thats pretty impressive.

Youre saying you are juggling all these things but unless you have very small pockets couldnt you put the ND in your pocket and camera over your shoulder? You make it sound very complicated.

Being silly are we?

OK I'll bite...

Suppoise your first composition has some sky in it and suppose your next shot doesn't?

Landscape one minute, flower shot the next? There are a 1,000 explanations.

Get the idea?

Or are we just being silly?

When was the last time you put an ND in your pocket?

I suspect that if you did you'd cover it with finger marks or worse. Personally when I take an ND with me which is pretty much every time I take the camera out... they're in a little case.

Or are we just being silly again?

As I get the impression I'm attracting silliness I'll bow out of this by saying that I know I'm a bit OCD on this issue but for me personally it's a deal breaker when there are cameras on the market that don't leave me wanting to drop kick them over a hedge.

Lovely camera, but not for me.

Maybe they are saving that for the x-pro 2? (Built in ND) Wonder how they are going to differentiate between the models?

Last edited:
Being silly are we?

OK I'll bite...

Suppoise your first composition has some sky in it and suppose your next shot doesn't?

Landscape one minute, flower shot the next? There are a 1,000 explanations.

Get the idea?

Or are we just being silly?

When was the last time you put an ND in your pocket?

I suspect that if you did you'd cover it with finger marks or worse. Personally when I take an ND with me which is pretty much every time I take the camera out... they're in a little case.

Or are we just being silly again?

As I get the impression I'm attracting silliness I'll bow out of this by saying that I know I'm a bit OCD on this issue but for me personally it's a deal breaker when there are cameras on the market that don't leave me wanting to drop kick them over a hedge.

Lovely camera, but not for me.

People take different photos of different things, some people have an issue, some dont as you can see from the thread, doesnt mean were going to be shooting at "f8 all day".

I can fit an ND in my pocket in its case, why would I need to put it in my pocket without? Or are you being silly by assuming id stick it in my pocket without a case?

I get the impression youre making a mountain out of a mole hill, as youve stated the camera isnt for you.

People take different photos of different things, some people have an issue, some dont as you can see from the thread, doesnt mean were going to be shooting at "f8 all day".

I can fit an ND in my pocket in its case, why would I need to put it in my pocket without? Or are you being silly by assuming id stick it in my pocket without a case?

I get the impression youre making a mountain out of a mole hill, as youve stated the camera isnt for you.

I think I would agree with this. People can make quite a big deal out of having to put a filter on then take it off, for me its a non issue. It certainly wouldn't stop me buying into a camera system.

You make it sound very complicated.

Yep does make it sound very complicated, for me most of the time for the photos I shoot its always trying to find an high enough shutter speed, that's why I like the Fuji good results at high ISO.
But any camera system is not going to suit everyone, it best to see what system suit you and go for it :)

Base ISO200 and max 1/4,000 is absolute bliss..

.. try shooting FP-3000B on a sunny day when your shutter speed is capped at 1/500.. ;)

It is all mountains from molehills.
When you use film you are stuck with the ISO you have loaded.
For most of my life I used cameras with lenses with maximum apertures from f1.4 to f2.8 and shutter speeds up to 1/1000
Much of the time I was using 400 iso films.
Nor have I ever had a problem with digital.

Reactions: Jao
It is all mountains from molehills.
When you use film you are stuck with the ISO you have loaded.
For most of my life I used cameras with lenses with maximum apertures from f1.4 to f2.8 and shutter speeds up to 1/1000
Much of the time I was using 400 iso films.
Nor have I ever had a problem with digital.

I agree I used Kodachrome 64 it was always a battle to get enough light.

Ignoring the 1/8000/ISO100 issue which has been discussed to death in many threads over the years (;)), I've been having a good think about this camera and I'm becoming more and more tempted, particuarly as a sports shooter who makes significant use of the 55-200.

The X-Pro1 is lovely but the usp of that (the OVF) is useless to me, meaning it's not really beneficial over my little X-M1 apart from the better handling for the 55-200. I'm just trying to figure out if it would better financially to sell now and pre-order, or wait 6 months, sell and switch.

I am a seasoned Nikon user who grew up with the FE, FM2, F3 and F4. I really like top plate controls and have never really raved about thumb wheels and menus. I have recently been considering purchasing a Nikon DF but holding back due to the price. It would also mean me upgrading my lenses to the heavier DX. This model came out of the blue and a complete surprise to me which has made me rethink everything.

I also have a Fuji X10 which is a brilliant little camera with a superb quality output. I think the Fuji X-T1 could see a lot of 'conventional SLR ' photographers move away from DSLRs. This little beauty is very appealing to me for a number of reasons. The quality of images appears to be superb and a vast improvement on the X10. Moving to an electronic viewfinder isn't an issue for me and is likely to be a bonus in the elimination of camera shake at very slow speeds which negate the use of a mirror lock up. The silent shutter is also really useful for some situations such as wildlife photography and photography at church weddings. Hasselblads were really loud!

It will be interesting to see what the battery usage is. I would imagine quite high due to the electronic viewfinder, hence an additional battery grip has already been factored in. If the speed of focusing is as good as Fuji claim and the time lag has been sorted out then this should be impressive. It would also appear that there is intention from Fuji to develop longer focal lengths which shows a commitment to the X series.

The lightness of the camera / system is extremely liberating. Even with my D7000 and six lenses carrying a backpack for a full day out is still an effort which was one of the reasons why I got an X10.

The X-T1 looks like a little old friend and one who I would immediately feel comfitable with using the familiar controls. Before I commit myself I would like to see a few more reviews and field tests. There is already a compelling argument for me to switch over from my D7000 due to quality and lightness.

It will be interesting to see what the battery usage is. I would imagine quite high due to the electronic viewfinder, hence an additional battery grip has already been factored in.

The X-T1 uses the same battery as all the X series (why can't everybody do that?) which is roughly 1,200 mAh. So they can't really factor in the viewfinder as I bet it draws more power than previous ones since it does more. I'm going to guess somewhere between 2 and 300 shots per charge. A video I saw on the grip says that with the 2 batteries you'll be able to shoot "practically all day". The good news is 3rd party batteries are easily available and cheap and changing them isn't hard.

If you want to check out the quality of the sensor (and it really is very good indeed) then X-M1s are changing hands for about £200 ATM and that's exactly the same sensor. Maybe buy one and a lens. If you like it then wait a bit for XT prices to drop and then sell the body (which really has to be worth £150 in 3 months time - after all the battery is worth 50 quid!)

Back